r8 collet sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r8 collet sizes?

I needed a set of collets for my mill and decided to go with a hopefully higher quality than the cheap imports. I went with some Lyndex but unfortunately could only afford the small set at the moment. I have sizes 1/8-7/8 in 1/8" increments.

Are the 1/16" sizes really needed? I can't remember ever using any of the 1/16 increment sized collets. Would the money be better spent on an ER type setup instead of looking for deals on the sizes I am missing when they pop up? For those that have the 1/16" sized collets, what do you use them for?

I have the 1/16 sizes. Occasionally I will use a 3/16, 5/16, 7/16 or 9/16 for a drill or end mill. You will be better served to get ER25 or ER32 collet holders with R8 shanks and collet sets for those. You can cover all the sizes in the range including inch, metric, and oddball sizes with only a few collets. I have ER16, 25, 32 and 40 holders and collets. I would go with the ER32 for one general purpose set. The ER style collets grip tightly, are pretty rigid and run true. Mine do anyway. I got mine from ArcEurotrade along with a couple of 5C ER32 holders.

Comment

You'll only use them if you have tooling in those sizes. The Lyndex 8ths set is what I bought, the only two 16th sizes I use are 3/16 and 5/16 which I picked up separate.

Comment

I have 3/16, 1/4", 5/16", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4". I've virtually never needed anything but those six sizes- and really, I rarely use the two 16th ones. The remaining four cover 99% of your milling needs.

Doc.
        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Ditto on the 1/8" sizes being sufficient for 99% of all work on a mill. Very few tools will have 1/16" sizes, probably only drills and you will need a good drill chuck anyway. I have two drill chucks for my mill and could probably get more use from a third one than from any 1/16" sized collets would ever see. Heck, I've probably only used five or six of the 1/8" sizes and some of them I will probably never use. But they do keep the holes in the holder filled nicely.

As for converting to an ER, all that does is decrease the working space under the quill. The R8 fits inside the quill while the ER would hang below it. You are going to lose 1.5 to 2.5 inches of vertical work space.

If you really need the 1/16" sizes, buy them as needed. I doubt that you will wind up with many unless you are doing a lot of very critical work.
          Paul A.

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

I have and use all of the 16th's, some 32's, and a few metrics. If they made 64th's I would probably buy a few of those, too.

The odd sizes are mainly for drills. Yes, I have a drill chuck but it sticks out more so a lot of cranking is required to swap from collets to chucks and visa versa. Plus if you need to drill to a precise depth, sometimes the drill slips in the drill chuck and messes up the depth. R8 collets grip more reliably than a drill chuck.

For odd sizes, you can buy individual import R8 collets on ebay at reasonable prices, so waiting until the need arises is a viable option.

Comment

I use my 3/16" one quite a bit, as I have a ball-coupled indicator holder that size. It's the dovetail style and use it with my Starrett No.708 indicator to sweep in bores and other round features.

On rare occasions I use the 7/16" and 9/16" for drills, as they save a lot of cranking the knee up and down.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. It looks like my thinking on the 1/16" collets was correct, I may keep an eye out for the 3/16 and 5/16.

Paul, I wasn't looking to fully convert to an ER setup, I was just wondering if it was a better option than the 1/16" increment collets.

Comment

I would add 5/8" to Doc's list and that ought to do ya.

Comment

Originally posted by PixMan View Post
                    I use my 3/16" one quite a bit, as I have a ball-coupled indicator holder that size. It's the dovetail style and use it with my Starrett No.708 indicator to sweep in bores and other round features.
                    Get yourself one of these,

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...est-Indicators

It clamps onto the outside of the spindle and allows you can dial in features with a tool/collet/chuck still in place. It also has enough range to tram the head, I use mine a lot, for the price it's a great idea.

There's a chance that as it's sold by arceurotrade that John S. was involved in the idea.

Brian

Comment

@ goodscrap that looks identical to the one I have bought from Allendales UniversalIndicatorQuillClampforDTI

The Allendales one is a bit cheaper too and you can pay using Paypal something I dont think Arceuro accept anymore.

Paul

Comment

Not quite applicable to this thread as I use mainly metric R8 collets, BTW 8mm and 5/16 are virtually identical, but I have a home put together set of common stub drills like tapping sizes etc where the shanks have been turned down to match common collet sizes.
                        So a 6.8mm drill which is tapping for M8 has the shank turned down to 6mm, 8.5 which is for M10 is reduced to 8mm. None of these drills are over 2" in length, ground with a split point and so being rigid they need no spotting drill. This saves a large amount of time given that all the common drills fit in the 6 or so most common collets in the rack.

Nothing to stop anyone else doing the same with imperial drills in imperial collets.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I've got 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, and 3/4. I rarely use 1/8, 1/4, or 5/16. I personally have no particular reason to get any other sizes.
                          ----------
                          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Originally posted by goodscrap View Post
                            Get yourself one of these,

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...est-Indicators

It clamps onto the outside of the spindle and allows you can dial in features with a tool/collet/chuck still in place. It also has enough range to tram the head, I use mine a lot, for the price it's a great idea.

There's a chance that as it's sold by arceurotrade that John S. was involved in the idea.

Brian
                            Uh...I have one and it's an original, genuine "Indicol" brand one, not those cheap Chinese knockoff's that never work as smoothly as the original.

It's still far more contraption than needed most times. I'll get a shot of what I'm talking about, and I believe it's made by Mitutoyo.

Comment

Does carbide tooling have shanks the size of the cutting surface? I know 1/4" carbide endmills are usually a 1/4" shank but what about the 1/16" sizes in carbide?

Comment

Working...
                              X