OT: Make your razors last for a year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Make your razors last for a year!

I try to change my cheap, disposable razor every year. Sometimes I forget and change it after 2 or 3 years.

The secret?

Whiskers are not tougher than a steel blade, but dirt (small particles of rock) is harder than steel, so you must thoroughly wash your face before shaving to remove dirt from the skin. I shave in the shower using face soap as a lubricant. Since the soap is a surfactant it will keep any dirt from adhering to the skin and damaging the blade.

And this may be more important, you must remove water from the blade. As water dries it leaves behind minerals that will form crystals on the edge of the blade. You can only see these crystals with extreme magnification, but they are much larger than the sharp edge of the blade. There are several ways to prevent the crystal formations:

- WD-40. Remember WD stands for Water Displacement
    - Leave the blade in water. Change the water at least weekly to prevent algae growth.
    - Towel dry the blade followed by blowing the last of the water off the blade. I do this. But the first few times I did it I managed to cut my lips with the blade. Compressed air would work but few of us have it in the house.

Every once in a while I get a sample of a 'NEW' blade in the mail. I throw them in my pile of throwaway blades to be used later. It has been 10+ years since I had to buy a razor.

Mike

Don't see the (initial) problem. I, like most true men, never have to replace a razor blade, for me that is 40+ years.
    You have introduced a new problem though. Apart from wasting resources by using a disposable item when a long life item would be better, by shaving in the shower you lengthen the time in there and waste a whole lot of water every day.
    The real answer is to give up un-natural habits.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
      Don't see the (initial) problem. I, like most true men, never have to replace a razor blade, for me that is 40+ years.
      You have introduced a new problem though. Apart from wasting resources by using a disposable item when a long life item would be better, by shaving in the shower you lengthen the time in there and waste a whole lot of water every day.
      The real answer is to give up un-natural habits.
      ya, like shaving.

Comment

Use a straight razor for the closest shave you'll ever get & nothing to throw away.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

I solved the problem by growing a beard.

Why sweat making a forty cent item last a year? WD40? Not on my face. A clean wet foce with the whiskers softened by washing leads to a smooth comfortable shave. More shaves per edge is a by-product.

Back in the day when I went into the world bare-faced, I shaved with a folding razor like the movie cow town barbers stropped on their shoe soles. After the shave, the razor was cleaned and dried, stropped on a leather strop once dressed with sheep tallow, folded up and stored in its leather case, then placed in a closed drawer below sink level where rising steam can't get at them.

My Dad trained me. I still have his ivory handled "shave knives"and they are pristine. Sone years go I showed them off to me grown nieces. They were impressed when I opened one and swiped at a hair from Beth that was streaming in the draft. The hair momentarily tightened and parted as the razor made a tiny "ting!" at the instant of severance.
          Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-13-2014, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Forrest is right, put the effort into making the expensive things last. I get about three or four months out of one of those 5 bladed razors but then I forget to shave a lot.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I have not had to buy a razor blade in about thirty years or so,,, and do not have a full beard or anything, just got an electric razor that's all... things are dang handy and never make me bleed...

Comment

Been using the same electric shaver (and foil) here for 30+ years but I do use a razor for getting those the shaver misses.

Comment

Perhaps we can persuade Macona to stick a used blade under his electron microscope, I for one would love to see a new and used edge.
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                    Use a straight razor for the closest shave you'll ever get & nothing to throw away.
                    When I was in the military and visiting 3rd world crapholes finding a local barber capable with a straight razor was easy-peezy and I never once even got nicked. I used to have them shave not only my face but also the sides and part of the top of my head as I've kept an extremely high-n-tight that borders on a mohawk due to the height. A haircut via straight razor always lasted me a good three weeks vs one with clippers. Sadly, according to all the locals using a straight razor requires some extra special license, they think there might be a barber licensed and capable about an hour away in Indy.

Dam grubbermint rules.
                    "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Originally posted by justanengineer View Post
                      A haircut via straight razor always lasted me a good three weeks vs one with clippers. Sadly, according to all the locals using a straight razor requires some extra special license, they think there might be a barber licensed and capable about an hour away in Indy.

Dam grubbermint rules.
                      ?????

If you ain't just jokin.......

Every barber I have gone to has trimmed the edges with a straight razor. Around the ears, sideburns, and back of the neck. Them'uns musta all had licenses, eh?

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post

... Whiskers are not tougher than a steel blade, but dirt (small particles of rock) is harder than steel, so you must thoroughly wash your face before shaving to remove dirt from the skin.
                        I'll give your plan a try -- at least I will wash my face, and towel-dry the blade to reduce the deposits. Currently I change the 5-bladed razor every month, and they are expensive.
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Whatever happened to the ceramic razor I once read about?, bought up by the razor companies I suppose
                          Mark

Comment

I might as well chime in here. I use disposable razors and by about the fourth or fifth shave the blades are just bouncing off the stubble. I had an electric foil type shaver and after the second foil ripped I gave up on it. I think I got about three months out of it in total. Then I bought a three head Philips shaver. I went through three sets of heads before giving up on that, but I got about ten years out of it. That's when I went to the disposables.

I used to have big hair and a full beard, and have alternated between shaving and just letting it grow. For the past several years I've been trying to keep a clean look, but now I'm letting my hair grow and I'm contemplating letting the beard come back. It won't be the same color it used to be- I might have to start wearing sunglasses so I can handle the glare
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

A year? lol i think i get about 2-3 shaves per blade, then like Darryl ^ said, it just bouces off the stubble. I have always had really thick, tough facial hair. It laughs at electrics, and the crazy 5 blade disposables don't really work for me. I have thought about trying a straight razor. If I could get 2 months out of a razor i'd be happy, let alone years. As far as a beard, just can't do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X