Holding small dia. parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding small dia. parts.

I ran into a situation where I had to hold .125 dia. drill rod in my lathe. None of my chucks could hold it and I don't have any collet setup. Then I remembered I might have a small Jacobs chuck with a hole thru it's center. I was prepared to drill a hole in a chuck to accomplish it ,but I lucked out. I knew my 3 jaw and 4 jaw universals wouldn't get it close enough so I relied on my 4 jaw independent.After indicating it in. Here's a shot of the set up . I hope this help someone in the future. I remember doing it with large chucks in the shop I retired from. We would chuck another smaller chuck in the large lathe chucks to complete some jobs. Thanks for listening ,Boot.

I have salvaged a 3 jaw 1/2" capacity chuck and about 3" of 1/2" shaft from a heavy duty electric drill. It works great for holding very small diameter parts in the 3 jaw chuck of my lathe and in my mill. The only problem is that the shaft is solid, so the pieces it holds can not be very long.
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I hade to make oil orifice for motorcycle head, the drill bits to use were less than 0.9mm - I used chuck salvaged from old dewalt cordless drill to hold the bit.

Comment

It sounds as if there is still a need for the Jacobs headstock chuck, these were once available for Southbend, Atlas and perhaps a few others. I have an ancient one of these which is occasionally useful in my small lathe. I don't think they were very common over here. Does anyone know if they are still available?
        Dave

Comment

As far as I know, "No"...don't think they have been a standard item from Jacobs for couple decades (?), based on catalogs that I can recall.
          Again, based on foggy memories, I think Atlas, Southbend and Sheldon as well as some others offered those chucks with makers part numbers (as well of course from Jacobs).

Occasionally they show up on EBay for a bit of a premium over a comparable taper mount one...even vaguer voice in my brain says that it had to do with the use of said smaller lathes for armature work (though that goes back more than a couple of decades).
          I am not aware of any other maker who offered chucks that would fit directly to the lathe spindle esp that were hollow (IIRC the last Jacobs catalog that listed them only listed the 1.5"x 8tpi version)

There are several up now on EBay.
          As well, there was also some overlap with the Jacobs Rubberflex collet system, though not as adjustable (and don't know I would want to try one with a drill, for example) for holding stock or parts the Rubberflex might be superior for some applications
          (for my application, it appears as if the 1.75 x 8 tpi of my lathe spindle was offered at some point, I've seen one mounted on a similar lathe, but that size of lathe thread is really too large for the size of drill chuck that would be "run of the mill" for Jacobs, it really wants it to be the Rubberflex system but finding those threaded, as opposed to one of the nose systems, is not the easiest of things)
          Last edited by RussZHC; 12-18-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Would it not be possible to drill the length of a chuck arbor? It does not have to be particularly concentric; it is just a hole AND not very large diameter. Might have to chop the tang off the arbor, but then the "soft" inside is easier to drill!
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

No problem drilling chuck for thru hole.
              Back plate made with Jacobs taper. Jacobs chuck with clearance hole thru back. Hand wheel for quick opening and closing which works good on small diameter work and light cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb View Post
                It sounds as if there is still a need for the Jacobs headstock chuck, these were once available for Southbend, Atlas and perhaps a few others. I have an ancient one of these which is occasionally useful in my small lathe. I don't think they were very common over here. Does anyone know if they are still available?
                Dave
                Yes, headstock chucks in several diameters/tps's are still made by Jacobs. Not much help but Enco, McMaster, etc. has them. Try British Fleabay.

However, not a very precisise item, I'd expect a bit more runout than a typical three jaw chuck. For small work, why not a pin vise held in the three or four jaw?
                Last edited by Rosco-P; 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM.

Comment

I was making some parts for my rc helicopter, dont recall the diameter, but it was small- too small for my 17" lathe tooling anyways- I chucked up a piece of bigger diameter roundstock, center drilled, then drilled the diameter I wanted to chuck, split it with a cutoff disk lengthwise, put the small shaft in and chucked it up... crude, but worked.

Comment

Working...
                  X