Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kepping superglue etc,from going hard????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kepping superglue etc,from going hard????

I bought a large quantity of both cyanoacrylate glue-super glue, and quite a few bottles of gorilla glue too.It has all gone rock solid in no time,and needs to be thrown out, a total waste of money.I have heard that if you leave it in the refridgerator over a period it stays good is that true? Alistair ps or any other ideas this stuff is not cheap
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I found the best way to buy superglue is a package of a dozen little sealed tubes. In the sealed tubes the glue lasts for years. Once they are opened they seem to only last a few months.

Comment

"Gorilla glue" or polyurethane is cured by water moisture. It's goes "off" in the bottle because of moisture in the air getting past the unsealed cap. I seal the cap with and excess of glue and store it a dry place. Sealing it in another container with desiccant can help but best to bring it inside the house if you only have an unheated garage/shop. I get 2-3 years out of mine, sometimes more.

Comment

My workshop is always heated at least the machine shop is,24 7 as I found that keeps the rust away.I will try it out in a seperate container in the fridge well sealed of course.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Like paint I store glue upside down so no air can enter the lid & if a dried skin develops it's now on the bottom when opened.

Comment

ye gad, another day to learn something. . . . great idea but how do you keep it standing on its cap ?
            i keep a small bottle on my desk for fixing cracks in my fingers. iy get pressed down with a little moisture on my other finger as its curing, then sanded down a little with an emery board after it dries. its great stuff. . .
            oops, off on a tangent, sorry allistair. . .

Originally posted by flylo View Post
            Like paint I store glue upside down so no air can enter the lid & if a dried skin develops it's now on the bottom when opened.

Comment

Lean it in a corner or a small box.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                "Gorilla glue" or polyurethane is cured by water moisture. It's goes "off" in the bottle because of moisture in the air getting past the unsealed cap. I seal the cap with and excess of glue and store it a dry place. Sealing it in another container with desiccant can help but best to bring it inside the house if you only have an unheated garage/shop. I get 2-3 years out of mine, sometimes more.
                The polyethylene container is also somewhat permeable. If there is not an added layer of impermeable material in it, the glue will go bad just from sitting. The container will also get crushed by air pressure as some things go OUT as others come in and cure the glue. I have ended up with a squashed bottle of hardened Gorilla glue when I had never opened it... bought some extra, and then didn't need it after all. In a few months it was worthless.

The cyanoacrylate glue bottles seem to be better about that, but not perfect. They last longer, but not a lot longer.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Someone told me to stand the used tube of glue upside-down on it's tip.
                  I have a corner of a cabinet where I prop it up against.
                  I'll be dang!! It works! For over a two years now. Always fresh and ready to use.
                  Don't know why.

Tom M.

Comment

And you guys thought I was just another pretty face LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      This is so obvious ,why am I not doing it? Every can is going to be upside down tomorrow.

Comment

Learn to live with shelf life. As modern glues and goops age, their cured properties dwindle. Using them on critical work is penny wise and pound foolish. They are sure to underperform. Because they're full of chemical devils and evil spirits they have to be disposed of properly like the neighbor's fish pond.

Replacing overaged coatings, tapes, cements, adhesives, and glues costs only money. They represent waste serving as a lesson to buy what you need and no more. Obtaining and using just the right amount ensures good bonds and joints and ensures the health of ducks who drop by the neighbors for lunch.

When your magic sauce dies move on.to new without regret
                        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 12-21-2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

When you use a tube of silicone seal instead of trying to seal the nozzle, just leave a large blob to harden on the end. Most of the time you can just pull on it and the partially harded plug in the nozzle will come right out.

Comment

Originally posted by davidh View Post
                            ye gad, another day to learn something. . . . great idea but how do you keep it standing on its cap ?
                            i keep a small bottle on my desk for fixing cracks in my fingers. iy get pressed down with a little moisture on my other finger as its curing, then sanded down a little with an emery board after it dries. its great stuff. . .
                            oops, off on a tangent, sorry allistair. . .
                            I'm glad I'm not alone with finger cracks, never thought of superglue, must try that, the buggers are only tiny but they are very sore, I think they come back in the same place, why I know not, but they hurt, man up I think but it's annoying, tried hand cream but I don't think it helps.
                            Refrigeration seems to be the way to preserve superglue, I never do though!
                            Some loctite bottles like bearing fit and flange seal come in concertina bottles, wonder if that would work
                            Mark

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                              When you use a tube of silicone seal instead of trying to seal the nozzle, just leave a large blob to harden on the end. Most of the time you can just pull on it and the partially harded plug in the nozzle will come right out.
                              I always thread a screw into it, that way I have something to grip and it has some tooth to pull the clog out as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X