Bought a PRAZI SD300 Lathe for small work...Modifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a PRAZI SD300 Lathe for small work...Modifications

I picked up a used Prazi SD300 last night. The fellow bought it a few years ago and never used it.

I cleaned up the dust that was on it. Took it all apart and lubed it. Tightened everything up and it runs beautifully!

I saw the need to modify a few areas to start...

A new handle for the lead screw engagement:

A handle to lock the quill. Brazed a piece of drill rod to the allen head bolt, bent it and turned a handle of 6061 aluminum:

Did the same for the tail stock lock:

Added a little piece of rod for it to rest against:

Nice little lathe for small work. Making firing pins, muzzle brakes, pins, and other small parts. But it won't replace my JET.......Surface finish is no way near what my JET can produce and of course it is very slow. No hogging of large bites of material.
    Last edited by rbertalotto; 12-22-2014, 11:55 PM.

Stock Picture......Didn't take a picture of the whole lathe while in the shop...

Comment

The capscrew with the lever on the tailstock will open the slot of the casting to slide the tailstock. The other one will clamp it down. You need it when you put a lot of pressure on the quill. You do have clearance to use both?
      Just recently another prazi was shown. Electric buttons a bit different but look like the same wiring. Do not mistakingly switch direction of motor while running (threading). End of motor.
      The only thing of mine left is the chuck. It is a good one. If still same design, do not overtighten the toolholder. Steel inserts will break out of slide. You will be asking about silver soldering.
      The endplate of the leadscrew looks like an upgrade. Had to do mine after feeding the saddle into the tailstock and cracking this fenol plate. No shear pin installed.
      Powerfull machine.

Comment

Originally posted by interiorpainter View Post
        The capscrew with the lever on the tailstock will open the slot of the casting to slide the tailstock. The other one will clamp it down. You need it when you put a lot of pressure on the quill. You do have clearance to use both?
        Just recently another prazi was shown. Electric buttons a bit different but look like the same wiring. Do not mistakingly switch direction of motor while running (threading). End of motor.
        The only thing of mine left is the chuck. It is a good one. If still same design, do not overtighten the toolholder. Steel inserts will break out of slide. You will be asking about silver soldering.
        The endplate of the leadscrew looks like an upgrade. Had to do mine after feeding the saddle into the tailstock and cracking this fenol plate. No shear pin installed.
        Powerfull machine.
        I don't have an owners manual, but it seems to me the two screws do the same thing. One of them is used to maintian pressure on the tailstock so it slides smooth,. The other is to lock it down.

The screw I'm using does indeed lock the tailstock firmly.

But if there is a reason to not do it this way, it would be easy to move it to the other screw.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rbertalotto View Post
          I don't have an owners manual, but it seems to me the two screws do the same thing. One of them is used to maintian pressure on the tailstock so it slides smooth,. The other is to lock it down.
          Top one locks the quill into the tailstock. Back one locks tailstock to the bed. Perhaps shorten the back one so it does not interfere with operation of the quill lock.
          Nev.

Comment

Found an owners manuasl and it appears I'm using the two screws properly. Front one locks the taistock...rear one allows more or less play in tailstock when moving it

Comment

Working...
            X