Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A variable-frequency drive (VFD)

I know very little about them

1 can I put one on my mill and still use the 220v motor that is on the mill or do I have to change that too

2 what kind should I get

You can keep the motor if it is 3-phase.

I say stay away from TECO JNEVs. I've had to replace two of them due to failures or inability to tune. On the other hand, my TECO FM-50s have been fine. The best I have are a pair of Hitachi WJ200s. My old LG SV037 is a real tank, going strong after 15 years.

Comment

Like rklopp said, if the motor on the mill is 3 phase you can keep it. What is the horsepower of the motor on the mill? I would also look for one that takes single phase input vs derating running a 3 phase input on single phase(not that there is anything wrong with it, it will just save you some money on the drive)

Comment

What ever you do make sure you pay attention to what you hook up and where you hook it up........Teco TM50s don't like 230 single phase put to two of the output terminals..........I will be ordering another VFD soon

Comment

The Hitachi are a good choice, do not be tempted by the cheap Chinese Huanyang.
          Max.

Comment

My fav. supplier is Automationdirect.com. They sell their own house brand VFD's. I have been using 2 of them for many years with zero problems. They are a full-fledged industrial supplier and do not sell junk. Product support was excellent the one time I needed it.

RWO

Comment

I have an Allen-Bradley VFD that accepts 115VAC in with a derated output. My 1HP 3-phase motor runs great with it. It is an amazingly handy feature to my lathe that uses belts for spindle speeds, most of which are either too fast or too slow, especially for threading.

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp View Post
                I say stay away from TECO JNEVs. I've had to replace two of them due to failures or inability to tune.
                Mine is working fine, had plenty of parameters to get things the way I wanted, a fraction of the price of a Hitachi. So I guess I disagree.

metalmagpie

Comment

As noted VFDs run 3 phase motors. You can drive up to a 1HP motor from either 120 or 240 volt single phase. Motors larger than 1HP would require 240 service. The motor should be directly attached to the VFD and then the VFD is used to control the machine. So any existing controls either need replaced or connected to the VFD control terminals.

Comment

what motor for a milling machine grizzly G0757 new one. The motor mounting plate what should I look at and should I go from a 2hp to 3hp or more and where do I get one for low $$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Brett Hurt View Post
                      what motor for a milling machine grizzly G0757 new one. The motor mounting plate what should I look at and should I go from a 2hp to 3hp or more and where do I get one for low $$$$$
                      Grizzly currently advertises that the vertical spindle on that machine is driven by a 3 hp motor, so I would keep that size.

Alos notice that it is a 1750 rpm... so when you are shopping, also keep that speed. You will see a lot of cheap motors for sale that are 3600... stay away from those for your application. The VFD will enable you to take the 1750 rpm machine up to 125-150% of its rated speed without too much fear.

Ebay is a good source... 3 phase motors tend to be cheaper than single phase, as they have a more limited customer base. Hold out for a good Baldor or Leeson motor.. One of the challenges you will find is that you need to match the mounting style for that motor. It is a face mounted motor, and I would bet it is a metric size, which might make it difficult to find.

Comment

What's wrong with the existing motor? Which of the two are you wanting to change?
                        Last edited by lakeside53; 12-25-2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Ok I found some BALDOR motors on ebay in the $150-200 what numbers on the motor should I look at iam lost, I got the face mount part so where do I go from here Brett

Comment

"Face mount" on its own means little. The shaft in your motor may be different (diameter - metric, length, other details) as is the physical mounting. You need to take your motor out, make accurate measurements, and match it physically to another. You are probably going to have to compare it to an IEC motor rather than a NEMA "standard".

I assume with face mount you are trying to change the vertical motor, not the horizontal?
                            Last edited by lakeside53; 12-27-2014, 07:52 PM.

Comment

A little warning here about Automation Direct VFDs. I like their products, including their VFDs a lot. However they told me you can NOT use a 3 phase input unit on 1 phase derated as the phase failure function of the drive will shut it down when one phase is missing. For this reason I just purchased 9 Hitachi WJ200 drives so I could run 4 hp motors. Automation Direct single phase input drives stop at 3 HP. By the way it turns out the Hitachis have ethernet ports, which is great as I have 5 drives run by a PLC.

Comment

Working...
                              X