FOUND: Good Source for DC motors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOUND: Good Source for DC motors

A while back I converted my JET 12 X 36 BD lathe to DC / Variable speed drive. I was able to buy a new Baldor 3/4HP DC motor on Ebay for $90. But this was a few years ago.

Recently I wanted to convert my Wood Cutting Bandsaw to DC drive also so I could use it for cutting metal. A search for good quality DC motors was showing well over $200 for a 3/4HP unit.

But then I tried AMAZON. They sell 1/3, 1/2 and 3/4HP AMARINE motors for extremely good prices and if you are a PRIME customer, no shipping charges and you get it in two days.

I ordered a 3/4HP version on Friday morning and I had it on Saturday. Not sure how they can get something this heavy to me this fast...for free.

For a control board I went to Surplus Center and used a 90/180 VDC controller:

Motor Speed Controllers,DC Motors,Electric Motors, DC MOTOR CONTROLLER FUSE Fuse for ITEM # 11-2102 DC MOTOR CONTROLLER. For use with 1/4 Hp motors

The motor cost $179 and the control $82. All I added was an ON/OFF switch. If you are powering a lathe you might want to add another switch for FORWARD / REVERSE.

This motor looks exactly like the BALDOR motor I have on my lathe. Same exact size and footprint.

My research has not found anything close in quality or cost. Please let me know if I'm wrong as I have a couple more machines I'm going to convert as budget allows.

BTW, I was using a Treadmill Motor on my bandsaw and it would stall on 1/8" steel or 3/4" Aluminum with a top quality bi-metal metal cutting blade. With the same blade, with the new motor, it cuts these materials and thicker like a hot knife through butter! As fast as I can push the material iot cuts it. I just cut up some 1" Aluminum like nothing. VERY pleased with this modification.

Thanks!

Hi,

I've been finding Amazon is highly price competitive for many of these industrial type items. They have been getting more of my business lately.

Dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

DC motors are not worth messing with once you realize the benefits of 3 phase motors and vfd drives.

--Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        DC motors are not worth messing with once you realize the benefits of 3 phase motors and vfd drives.

--Doozer
        Very true---if you have 3 phase power. Most of us don't and don't want want to go to the extra expense for a static phase convertor or a RPC.
        olcop

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
          Hi,

I've been finding Amazon is highly price competitive for many of these industrial type items. They have been getting more of my business lately.

Dalee
          Agree wholeheartedly, been using them for a while, very price competitive and the free shipping ain't nothing to sneeze at either.
          olcop

Comment

Originally posted by olcop View Post
            Very true---if you have 3 phase power. Most of us don't and don't want want to go to the extra expense for a static phase convertor or a RPC.
            olcop
            You dont need 3phase power with a VFD, single phase goes in and 3 phase comes out to the motor... A thing of beauty!
            Get the best deal for Electrical Supplies & Equipment from the largest online selection at eBay.ca. | Browse our daily deals for even more savings! | Free shipping on many items!

Cheers,
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by rbertalotto View Post

My research has not found anything close in quality or cost. Please let me know if I'm wrong as I have a couple more machines I'm going to convert as budget allows.

Thanks!
              You may find a benefit from using PWM drive instead of SCR type, the PWM offers quieter and smoother low rpm control.
              KB & Baldor offer them and they often come up on ebay but the PWM types are scarcer.
              Max.

Comment

You may find a benefit from using PWM drive instead of SCR type, the PWM offers quieter and smoother low rpm control.
                Wish I knew more about this stuff. All I do know is I've been running my lathe now for over 6 years with the DC motor and the Surplus Center drive and it has been wonderful. No low speed issues what so ever. And loads of power. Being a belt drive lathe, the belts will slip long before the motor can stall.

Comment

I ran DC on my lathe and CNC bridgeport for a long time... but we have used quite a few of these little drives at work- they were only 99 bucks 2 yrs ago, can run single phase 120 to 3 phase 240 in and still get 240 three phase out- next on my to-do is put the old ac motors back on and run these type drives at home...smooth control, braking, hard to beat.
                  Last edited by tc429; 12-26-2014, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rbertalotto View Post
                    Wish I knew more about this stuff. All I do know is I've been running my lathe now for over 6 years with the DC motor and the Surplus Center drive and it has been wonderful. No low speed issues what so ever. And loads of power. Being a belt drive lathe, the belts will slip long before the motor can stall.
                    I was not implying it would not do the job, but there is a noticeable difference with PWM, the SCR drive 120Hz ripple can be noticeable when running low rpm, often more of a audible thing.!
                    Max.

Comment

Working...
                    X