"DECKEL TYPE" Cutter grinder with 5C COLLETS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "DECKEL TYPE" Cutter grinder with 5C COLLETS

Every tool shop that I have worked at has had a soe deckel grinder. These were originally puchaces to grind single point cutters for the deckel
    milling machine. Even tho the deckel mill was long gone the grinders are very handy . Nowdays they seem to be used for quick small cylinrical
    grinding jobs. The thing that allways agravates me is the collets .They only go to about 5/8 inch and no thru hole.Now at last the chinese have
    made a model that uses 5C COLLETS.If you search for U3 GRINDER, they appear. It looks like I could order one and have it delivered to ST LOUIS
    for about $1000. My questions ,Has anyone used one of these and has anyone puchaced something this expensive direct from china.These are not
    being sold on ebay or retail any where in USA. Some retailers are selling the NON 5C COLLET models.Thanks Edwin Dirnbeck

Hi Edwin
    Is this the one you mean:
    http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Cutt.../dp/B00NBQHACG

Comment

Northern Tool looks to have the same one in green for 629/shipped but has poor reviews & doesn't say anything abou 5c collets?
      FREE SHIPPING — Universal SpecsReviewsQ & AAccessoriesWarrantyCompare
      Product SummaryItem# 426245

Play Video

The Universal Cutter/Grinder is a dual-purpose power unit for sharpening or grinding high speed steel and carbide cutting tools. Sharpens single- or multiple-lip cutters of various shapes. Index head adjusts to 24 different positions to obtain almost any angle or shape.

What's Included

(1) Cutter/grinder(1) Wheel(1) Wrench
      See Accessories
      Key Specs Top of page
      Item# 426245
      Ship Weight 120.0 lbs
      Product Type Bench
      Wheel Diameter (in.) 4
      Amps 1.6
      Length (in.) 22
      Speed (RPM) 5,200
      HP 1/3
      Switch Type Band
      Variable Speed Yes
      Cord Length (ft.) 6
      Battery Included No
      Wheel Included Yes
      Wrench Included Yes
      Case Included No
      Dimensions L x W x H (in.) 22 x 18 x 17
      Last edited by flylo; 12-26-2014, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Manual for the Northern Tool version:
        https://www.google.com/url?url=https...anWeoSnjiNz5LA
        Page 8 mentions R8 collets under accessories.

Comment

Funny I checked my mail & got the same Northern grinder in a side as for $579 but when I clicked on it the page sais $629?

Comment

Also found this:
            http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...HDj973VqwiM99w
            where someone stated:
            Beware the U2 uses 3C collets and the U3 uses R8.
            A few other points:
            1. While I did see one add that claimed 5C that doesn't mean the person that wrote it knows one collet from another.
            2. Even if it's 5C, if they use the threaded hole instead of the outer threads, you won't have through hole capability.
            3. If items 1 and/or 2 are a problem, returning the unit to China for a refund may be a hassle.

Comment

I had thought about making up a new spindle for mine for alternate collets- but stumbled on a set of the buttress thread collets on ebay dirt cheap... never have used the darn thing, picked it out of the scrapheap as it just looked so sad laying in the mud- thankfully stumbled upon it before any critical surfaces rusted, after cleaning up, smooth as silk...1959, very well built/fitted little tiny machine

Comment

My cuttermaster uses 5c collets, pretty nice machine. And you can get them in the 1000 dollar range used. JR

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                  This is similar BUT NO INFO ON COLLET STYLE IS GIVEN. THANK YOU, EDWIN

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                    Also found this:
                    http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...HDj973VqwiM99w
                    where someone stated:

A few other points:
                    1. While I did see one add that claimed 5C that doesn't mean the person that wrote it knows one collet from another.
                    2. Even if it's 5C, if they use the threaded hole instead of the outer threads, you won't have through hole capability.
                    3. If items 1 and/or 2 are a problem, returning the unit to China for a refund may be a hassle.
                    EXACTLY, thank you I am hoping some member has one with a 5c .Edwin

Comment

Originally posted by Edwin Dirnbeck View Post
                      EXACTLY, thank you I am hoping some member has one with a 5c .Edwin
                      While he may not own one, I recall Sir John was familiar with the Deckel type clones.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                        While he may not own one, I recall Sir John was familiar with the Deckel type clones.
                        John never seemed to like these type grinders for general use.

Edwin, you mention use for cylindrical grinding small pieces, you mean turning the the collet manually?

I agree the could have a use in most every shop if equipped with 5C, round, square, hex, etc.

Comment

I would love to find a honest review about a machine like that. Watch y tube.
                          I bought the airless airbearing for this machine at a cleanout of a toolshop. New for 20 euros intended for grinding the helix of the endmill. It also has got a knob to lock at the 6 divisions.
                          Grinding the end of 2,3,6 lip endmills. What about 4 flute?!
                          Got it to copy the design to upgrade my single lip cutter grinder. This ciylindrical grinding relies on a collet chuck running on ballbearings. Yes turning it by hand.

About this attachment. Do not know which collets. Clearance between axle and body 0,05mm. Runout 0,05mm mesured without collets. With cheap collets who knows. Combine these 3, hohum. Relies on 2 o-rings to keep the clearance central. Axle is hardened to prevent upgrading to 4 lip grinding.
                          You can do better running a reamer through a block of cast iron and using a piece of ground drillrod.
                          I sincerly hope that this item i got from a batch of 20 pieces are leftovers because of poor quality, exchanged after complaints.
                          Looks the same as all the other item on the net but from the factory that uses baby blue paint

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                            John never seemed to like these type grinders for general use.

Edwin, you mention use for cylindrical grinding small pieces, you mean turning the the collet manually?

I agree the could have a use in most every shop if equipped with 5C, round, square, hex, etc.
                            YES,turning the collet assembly manualy.Nice indexing and angle grinding a 45 degree or whatever, chamfering end mill.Relieving back end of taps if some stupid designer want a 1/4 -20 tapped hole 1 1/4 deep full thread.Real quick single point cutters. Making a bolt with a smaller size hex head or square head , not real precision but quick and fast setup. Also if you get an angled cup diamond grinding wheel for $50 ,it is great for touching up and altering carbide inserts freehand.Edwin Dirnbeck

Comment

Working...
                            X