Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone here interested in machining some engine cases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thrud
    replied
    Just wrap it with aluminum foil!

I am sure there are guys that would do it for you charging time & materials.

If you have Autocad you should design your own billet motor and go from there. The Autocad files can be exported to a CAM program and 3D modeled. From there the G code can be generated and the toolpaths optimised and verified. From there the code generated for the controller you specified is fed to the CNC Mill/Lathe and if nothing is FUBAR - you will have a motor. Nothing to it - sorta.

You can even design custom gaskets for it and have them lasercut. Same process.

Now you know why engineers are brain damaged. They used to do this the hard way - drafting tables, pencils, and slide rules. Thank God those days are gone.

Leave a comment:

• Hackasaw
    replied
    I changed my mind, I now just wanna see if anyone is interesting in making 5000 simple spacers to mount these cases on a flagpole.

Dims are 1.3" OD 1.29" ID and 0.005 wide

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Boy, he does get around! (maybe it's a cousin?)

Leave a comment:

• Hackasaw
    replied
    ya know, I hate that cat too.

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    944 eh?, Nope me arse is too big - hence the Dakota 4x4 fat cab, black 'o course. Neighbors retarded 1 balled cat likes to dance on my hood when it is clean. I hate that cat.

Leave a comment:

• Hackasaw
    replied
    a sad day was when I sold my Porsche Design Mechanical Self Winding Dual Quick Set Day Date Chronograph with Lemania 5100 mvt that I took apart and repaired/serviced. It had plastic parts in it but was still a cool watch. Built to withstand ten g forces, intense magnetic fields, and had an anti-reflective saphire crystal on fitted.

I still have the 944 porsche though and would trade it for stuff/slave labor.

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Actually sounds like a great project - it would look good on that hubless skate. maybe you should wait for the Porche designed HD motor coming out next year - should be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Hackasaw
    replied
    I'm sure that could happen, I was just curious if it could be done for comparable or less coin than the BT stuff if somebody had an idle CNC machine........ but then again.......

I generally don't care for stuff made to a price.

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    You and Hubless Bill should be able to roll your own - you two seem to have your poo together. Shouldn't be that hard - Harley made them and I am sure they were hammered half the time! (A Hell's Angel once told me you have to be a mechanic to own a Harley - that makes sense considering how well Harley machines them.)

I am still no help, but I hope I was at least some encouragement! Roll on...

Leave a comment:

• Hackasaw
    replied
    actually some of the billet items are quite inexpensive, especially when you compare them to the price of inferior OEM items.

I'm not aware of anyone doing 45 cases which are about as simple as a briggs and stratton.

I do know you can buy a billet big inch v-twin complete engine for under 8large. Cheaper than you can build a serious shovelhead.

Leave a comment:

• Thrud
    replied
    Hackasaw:
    There are a few billet HD motors on the market, they all rock, never leak, and no doubt cost too much.

I wasn't much help, was I?

Leave a comment:

• anyone here interested in machining some engine cases?

would like some good heavy duty ones for a 45 HD to use for offroad purposes. T6 I assume would be preferred although I am not sure which grade is ideal.

Before a lot of chit chat goes on about it, I'd like a ballpark guesstimate to do a single pair and then to do say ten pairs just to get an idea if this is simply a pipe dream or perhaps feasible.

Feel free to post, email [email protected], or phone me at 615-888-7378

Thanks
Working...
X