Home made Hammer Mill Steam Accessory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made Hammer Mill Steam Accessory

This was a lot of fun making this (video is in HD so you can choose that in Youtube) and even more fun running it
    off a Jensen 20G steam engine ..... the Hammer Mill is LOUD !!!!!

Here's some photos -

Thank you for looking

Very nice!

Comment

Very nice job building that. Just an observation, the hammer closest to the crank handle has a slight bounce when it strikes. The other hammer comes to a
      dead stop when it strikes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1935Ron View Post
        Very nice!
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
          Very nice job building that. Just an observation, the hammer closest to the crank handle has a slight bounce when it strikes. The other hammer comes to a
          Thanks for the reply.

Yes I noticed that as well and I've looked for a reason as to why it's happening, but I'm totally stumped as to why.

Comment

that is some sweet work --- what a nice quiet engine,,, does the generator and light work? would be nice to have the light going on the workpiece so you can see what your doing lol

I believe the reason for the bouncing hammer is the fact that the one closest to the crank handle is not hitting flush with the anvil,,, I think it might be hitting on it's far/long side first,,, this would get the beam of the hammer involved in some elasticity to try to touch the rest of the hammer face down flat - then there would of course be a springboard effect right after as the beam wants to re-straighten,,, this could also be happening torsionally too if the hammer is striking on one side more than the other,,,

Place a piece of carbon track paper (the kind you use to make double receipts) place it under both hammer heads without putting any pressure - draw a circle around heads with a pen - then hand lift hammers just a half inch and drop --- check out the carbon print to find out if im insane or not lol

If it is off a perfect fix would be to place some emery cloth under them as they sit abrasive side up of course - apply light pressure to the hammer right at the end on top and drag the paper out - repeat

what a little jewel nice work...
            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 12-28-2014, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Just watched the video again. It kinda looks like the hammer that bounces doesn't sit as flat on the anvil as the other one.

Comment

Damn .. wish my pics came out that clear. REally nice.

Mike A
                John Titor, when are you.

Comment

WoW, fun to watch!

Luv the red paint job too.

Comment

Nice work.---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                      It's never gonna pass ISO 9001 with that bounce in there!

Comment

Thanks everyone for having a look and the comments, I appreciate the replies. The little generator lights that bulb very well, it just needs to be spinning faster. It put a nice load on the steam engine and makes it have a very nice chuff.
                        Last edited by JimDobson; 12-28-2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=A.K. Boomer;956279]Place a piece of carbon track paper (the kind you use to make double receipts) QUOTE]

Interesting that you feel the need to explain what carbon paper is - the average age in here is about 70. But think it must be 30 years since I've seen any of the genuine blue/black stuff.

Comment

Thats great, thanks for sharing... it is fun to watch !
                            ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                            http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

Thanks, it was a lot of fun making it.

Comment

Working...
                              X