Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimDobson
    replied
    I haven't had a proper chance yet Boomer to have a good look as it's been hectic with visitors dropping in between Christmas and New Years.....I think you are right though it must be fractionally hitting one side first to cause that bounce. I have some whiteboard marker that doesn't dry and I'll coat the bottom with that and slip some typing paper underneath and see what the print from that gives.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    I think you guys know what I meant lol

I use automotive "copy prints" or whatever you want to call them for things other than work orders - can help with diagnostics..

so was it off? was it hitting on one side?

Leave a comment:

• JimDobson
    replied
    Must admit that I haven't used carbon paper since I used a manual typewriter and that was a LONG time ago!

Leave a comment:

• ulav8r
    replied
    Nowadays you will have better luck finding graphite paper in hobby stores. It leaves a black imprint, not blue black.

[QUOTE=Baz;956436]
    Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Place a piece of carbon track paper (the kind you use to make double receipts) QUOTE]

Interesting that you feel the need to explain what carbon paper is - the average age in here is about 70. But think it must be 30 years since I've seen any of the genuine blue/black stuff.

Leave a comment:

• JimDobson
    replied
    Thanks, it was a lot of fun making it.

Leave a comment:

• iMisspell
    replied
    Thats great, thanks for sharing... it is fun to watch !

Leave a comment:

• Baz
    replied
    [QUOTE=A.K. Boomer;956279]Place a piece of carbon track paper (the kind you use to make double receipts) QUOTE]

Interesting that you feel the need to explain what carbon paper is - the average age in here is about 70. But think it must be 30 years since I've seen any of the genuine blue/black stuff.

Leave a comment:

• JimDobson
    replied
    Thanks everyone for having a look and the comments, I appreciate the replies. The little generator lights that bulb very well, it just needs to be spinning faster. It put a nice load on the steam engine and makes it have a very nice chuff.
    Last edited by JimDobson; 12-28-2014, 05:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hat
    replied
    Originally posted by RichR View Post
    Very nice job building that. Just an observation, the hammer closest to the crank handle has a slight bounce when it strikes. The other hammer comes to a
    dead stop when it strikes.
    It's never gonna pass ISO 9001 with that bounce in there!

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Nice work.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• Old Hat
    replied
    WoW, fun to watch!

Luv the red paint job too.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Amick
    replied
    Damn .. wish my pics came out that clear. REally nice.

Mike A

Leave a comment:

• RichR
    replied
    Just watched the video again. It kinda looks like the hammer that bounces doesn't sit as flat on the anvil as the other one.

Leave a comment:

• A.K. Boomer
    replied
    that is some sweet work --- what a nice quiet engine,,, does the generator and light work? would be nice to have the light going on the workpiece so you can see what your doing lol

I believe the reason for the bouncing hammer is the fact that the one closest to the crank handle is not hitting flush with the anvil,,, I think it might be hitting on it's far/long side first,,, this would get the beam of the hammer involved in some elasticity to try to touch the rest of the hammer face down flat - then there would of course be a springboard effect right after as the beam wants to re-straighten,,, this could also be happening torsionally too if the hammer is striking on one side more than the other,,,

Place a piece of carbon track paper (the kind you use to make double receipts) place it under both hammer heads without putting any pressure - draw a circle around heads with a pen - then hand lift hammers just a half inch and drop --- check out the carbon print to find out if im insane or not lol

If it is off a perfect fix would be to place some emery cloth under them as they sit abrasive side up of course - apply light pressure to the hammer right at the end on top and drag the paper out - repeat

what a little jewel nice work...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 12-28-2014, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JimDobson
    replied
    Originally posted by RichR View Post
    Very nice job building that. Just an observation, the hammer closest to the crank handle has a slight bounce when it strikes. The other hammer comes to a
    dead stop when it strikes.
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes I noticed that as well and I've looked for a reason as to why it's happening, but I'm totally stumped as to why.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X