X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    "Rather you than me Evan "

It is just a bomb and a very small one designed to take out bombers without needing a contact hit. If you blew one up in a city it might take out a city block, not much more. I was much more worried about meeting an idiot driver on the roads to the sites, not what I was carrying.

The army also had (still has?) tiny nukes that are fired by artillery just a few thousand metres. They are the equivalent of a few tons of high explosive, no more, and they make very little fallout. The history on those is not clear but states that they were demonstrated at various locations around the US, not just on the Nevada test ranges. It could be operated by a single man crew. Whether they were actual live demos or just using substituted high explosives at the "impact site" is the part that is not clear. They can very closely simulate those small atomics by using high explosives containing a high percentage of magnesium dust.

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    I as well have not driven one but I have seen them in peoples yards around here. I even know a place where a guy has some sort of helicopter in his yard that has guns which I can only assume are "fake" to finish the look.

Leave a comment:

• wendtmk
    replied
    The F-4's were a wonderful jet, and the RF-4C was probably one of the best of the lot. It was faster than the D, E and F models since it didn't have as much stuff hanging off the airframe, and because of that, a lot less drag.

It was still a brick if the engines quit on ya though.

Leave a comment:

• Prokop
    replied
    Originally posted by wendtmk View Post
    This was my daily driver when I belonged to Uncle Sam's Great Fraternal Flying Club:

Mark
    Way cool, Mark.

Leave a comment:

• wendtmk
    replied
    This was my daily driver when I belonged to Uncle Sam's Great Fraternal Flying Club:

Mark

Leave a comment:

• Alistair Hosie
    replied
    I was a driver in the Army. I drove one of those to deliver and pick up Nike atomic weapons for maintenance checks. Wow what a responsibility.Rather you than me Evan LOLKeep well. It does seem a shame to see these old but wonderful condition girls get scrapped. I would like to see some industries benefit from using them.It was the same at the end of WW 2 and Vietnam etc so much was tossed into the sea.Even here in Scotland the American commanders threw hundreds and even eventually thousands of vehicles into the sea.It seems crazy but they must have considered it at the time.Alistair

Leave a comment:

• flylo
    replied
    The last one I had was a radio repair truck same alum ladder as in the picture & maple butcherblock workbenched over steel toolchests.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hat
    replied
    +1 +1 +1 Jim,

Leave a comment:

• jimsehr
    replied
    The one I drove was a machine shop truck. That's me in the doorway.
    jimsehr

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    The reason sales to the public and other government agencies were suspended is because of various EPA and safety restrictions that are suspended for military demands in the manufacture of these vehicles; but they (govt) do not want such vehicles proliferated throughout the public. Even if sold to other govt agencies (police, etc.) control over subsequent sales would be lost.

I think we hashed this out here a few months ago.

Leave a comment:

• justanengineer
    replied
    Originally posted by KJ1I View Post
    Didn't drive one of yours, but I too drove one of these
    Not my pic, but my 88 occasionally got to pick up one of your Abrams like below, and yes I did shout "Hercules, Hercules" just like on the Disney movie dam near every time. :P

+1 on the Ropkey museum out by Crawfordsville. Really sad to see Mr Ropkey pass this year but glad his wife kept it open.

Leave a comment:

• Michael Edwards
    replied
    Anyone interested in these vehicles should head over to www.steelsoldiers.com

Lots of info and pics there.

ME

Leave a comment:

• JackD
    replied
    I drove a five ton Diesel truck in the army on Okinawa 1966 and 1967. A bizillion horsepower and all it ever hauled was 12 to fifteen guys back and forth to work. But it was fun to drive, but I was younger back in those days.

Jack
    Last edited by JackD; 12-30-2014, 07:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Seastar
    replied
    Got to love those military vehicles ------
    If anyone is close by in indiana, a visit to the Ropkey Armor Museum is well worth your time.
    It has an incredible collection of military vehicles from the first tanks of WW1 to vehicles of today.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Michael Edwards
    replied
    Originally posted by flylo View Post
    Our government has stopped selling vehicles to anyone, even police & fire depts. Going to scrap them.
    This is outdated info.

ME

Leave a comment:

Working...
X