Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice on Keyless chucks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need some advice on Keyless chucks

    Some time ago I was lucky enough to get a like new ROHM Spiro keyless chuck in a box of machine tools at a yard sale. I mounted it on a R8 spindle for my little milling machine. Wow, I love it. Now I'm thinking it's time to add a Keyless chuck to the tail stock of my C6 lathe. I have done a little looking at chucks on the internet and find keyless chucks priced all the way from $30 to $500. I see ROHM Products of America and then just ROHM, what is going on there? My Spiro was made in W.Germany. I would like to stay around or under the $125 price. I need a 0-1/2" with a J33 for a MT 2 spindle. So what is the your opinions on good chuck for me.
    _____________________________________________

    I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

  • #2
    http://www.uberchuck.com/albrecht-drill-chucks.html

    Comment


    • #3
      What about forum supporter Glacern's MT2-DC500 keyless
      chuck? Presently $70 and a coupon for shipping ...

      Holiday deals are listed here:

      Their Drill Chuck page is here:

      I do not have a Glacern chuck, yet. However, I have enjoyed
      their vise(s).

      Edit: Changed p/n and price to MT2-DC500 ($70) from
      R8-DC500 ($140).

      .
      Last edited by EddyCurr; 12-29-2014, 04:44 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
        What about forum supporter Glacern's R8-DC500 keyless
        chuck? Presently $140 and a coupon for shipping ...

        Holiday deals are listed here:

        Their Drill Chuck page is here:

        I do not have a Glacern chuck, yet. However, I have enjoyed
        their vise(s).

        .
        Thats a good price...

        Comment


        • #5
          The price for the MT2 that the OP actually asked about
          is even better .

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lugnut View Post
            I would like to stay around or under the $125 price. I need a 0-1/2" with a J33 for a MT 2 spindle.
            A comment about your capacity range.

            Keyless chucks with a max of 1/2" generally have a min greater than 0".
            The Glacern is 1/64". Albrecht appear to be 1/32" and so on ...

            If you wanted to stick with Rohm, Enco lists the Rohm Supra Keyless
            at $102. With a coupon for a discount and/or shipping, the price would
            be less

            http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PMAKA=240-3043

            .

            Comment


            • #7
              Those Glacern chucks look interesting, but I have not been able to find out much about them. Does any one have any Enco savings codes they want to share? One more question. Are the ROHM chucks still made in Germany?
              _____________________________________________

              I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

              Comment


              • #8
                Ever reverse your lathe for tapping or backing out a stuck drill?

                Keyless chucks loosen when turned in reverse.

                They also self tighten, sometimes so tight you have to use channel locks or a pipe wrench to loosen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I just bought myself a birthday present (MT2-DC500) from Glacern

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                    Those Glacern chucks look interesting, but I have not been able to find out much about them. Does any one have any Enco savings codes they want to share? One more question. Are the ROHM chucks still made in Germany?
                    Do note the ROHM Spiro is much better than the Supra. Not to say the Supra is a bad chuck, but the Spiro is a proper comparison to the Albrecht chucks. Albrecht's are expensive but if you want one you can't beat the Enco prices right now (on sale) plus the 15% or 20% off on top that.

                    Enco Discount Code
                    MPP26 - Save 15% on your order of $99 or more! Expires 1/15/15.
                    Mike
                    Central Ohio, USA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I bought a Llambrich keyless chuck (CKS-16 J-6) for a Christmas present for a friend of mine and I was wondering what your general opinion of them is. Fair to middling or?
                      Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I got a 1/32"-1/2" albrecht for free with my mill. I'm waiting on an arbor for it right now.
                        Craigslist sometimes has some retiring machinists or people willing to sell tools. You could pick up something like an Albrecht for less than $50.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DR View Post
                          Ever reverse your lathe for tapping or backing out a stuck drill?

                          Keyless chucks loosen when turned in reverse.

                          They also self tighten, sometimes so tight you have to use channel locks or a pipe wrench to loosen.
                          Yes that happens.

                          What is so exciting about keyless chucks? Is having the key that much of a burden?

                          Yes, there likely is a "coolness" factor, but.... Really? Is there a big actual advantage? If so, what is it?
                          CNC machines only go through the motions.

                          Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                          Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                          Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                          I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                          Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            You shouldn't have to use a pipe wrench on a keyless chuck. If it doesn't come with a special spanner tool you can use a rubber strap wrench to loosen it.

                            Self tightening is good, certainly in that you'll avoid spun drill bits. But if I'm power tapping I use the Jacobs style chuck as it allows the tap to spin.
                            Gary


                            Appearance is Everything...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                              Do note the ROHM Spiro is much better than the Supra. Not to say the Supra is a bad chuck, but the Spiro is a proper comparison to the Albrecht chucks. Albrecht's are expensive but if you want one you can't beat the Enco prices right now (on sale) plus the 15% or 20% off on top that.

                              Enco Discount Code
                              MPP26 - Save 15% on your order of $99 or more! Expires 1/15/15.
                              Or this one:
                              Take an additional 10% off* PLUS Free Shipping on your Enco order of $99 or more! Simply enter both promo codes: 2DAY and 2DAYFS prior to checkout. Offer ends 12/31/14 at 11pm ET.

                              The free shipping means that 10% off could save you more money than the 15% off above.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X