Need Help With DRO Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help With DRO Installation

Im in need of some help from someone in my area with the installation of a dro on a 14x40 lathe. Im about 60 miles west of Waco, Tx. Thanks for your time!

Which lathe?...which DRO?

Ken

Comment

Hello Ken,
      Its a star lathe, I would like to go with a acu-rite dro. Or something simple to use really.
      Thanks, Kyle
      Last edited by Zee; 12-29-2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Are we talking about one of these old line-shaft belt-drive lathes?:http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...-lathe-278673/

Ken

Comment

No Ken, this is a gear head lathe thats only a few years old. I couldn't find any information about this lathe on the net. I really don't know much about it other than its made in Taiwan and that it came from the valley.

Comment

Kyle, if it was made in Taiwan, then "Star" is most likely an importers brand that died out.
            Some photos of the lathe would be very helpful.
            Unless you can find one used and in good shape an Acu-rite DRO will cost a lot more than the lathe did....
            I have an Easson DRO on my mill and have been happy with it's performance. I bought it from these folks.
            http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Eass...illing_Machine
            The manual was a little vague in places but I figured it out,
            The scale on the "Z" axis should extend the full length of the bed not stop short of the end as a longer scale does not add that much to the price of a kit.
            Dan.

Comment

Thanks for the information Dan.
              The lathe looks just like the Jet 14X40 zx lathe. Im really hoping to find someone in my area to help me install the
              dro. I never have installed one before. I will pay for someones time to help me install the dro. By the few responses I have had, I may have to figure it out myself.

Comment

Kyle, Installing it yourself, is not all that hard to do.
                I had to build a couple brackets to install mine but I managed just fine. On the site I linked to there are a series of videos on mounting the scales on the lathe, for your installation I would go with the magnetic scales instead of glass. They are slimmer than glass scales and can be cut to custom length to fit where you need it to fit.
                Watch the videos as they were helpful to me in my installation of the scales on my mill.
                Here is the installation of the kit on my mill.
                http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=34573
                There are several videos on YouTube that cover installation on a lathe also. I do not have links to them but you can search for them.
                Good Luck.
                Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by Lu47Dan View Post
                  I have an Easson DRO on my mill and have been happy with it's performance. I bought it from these folks.
                  http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Eass...illing_Machine
                  The manual was a little vague in places but I figured it out. The scale on the "Z" axis should extend the full length of the bed not stop short of the end as a longer scale does not add that much to the price of a kit.
                  Dan.
                  +1 on DROPROS. I got two Easson DROs from them - one for the lathe and one for the mill and I'm totally happy with them both. Get a scale long enough to cover the entire length of the bed. It is really worth it. The only feature I haven't figured out how to correct is on the lathe DRO. When the DRO on the lathe is turned on, the default setting for the X-axis is the radius mode. You have to switch to the diameter mode each time you turn it one. Got into trouble making the first parts using the lathe DRO until I figured out that it was reading in the radius mode and NOT the diameter mode as I thought.
                  Last edited by BigBoy1; 12-30-2014, 04:16 PM. Reason: Typo!
                  Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the help!
                    Kyle

Comment

This might help you out, there are a few others on google as well.
                      http://www.boysungrain.com/dro-2l.htm
                      Last edited by Davo J; 12-30-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X