Ajax Controls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ajax Controls

Ive been looking into Ajax CNC controls to possibly retrofit a Bridgeport Boss. I was curious if anyone has ever tried these controls & software they seem impressive.

Thanks,

Dunno, Never heard of Ajax.

I did mine from scratch. I reused about all the wiring I could. Mostly that consisted of the motor wiring going out to the steppers.
    I have more in tooling then purchase - conversion in my machine now. About $12k total.. mill=4300 (too much) conversion was about another 1500. I didn't get a lot of the kwik switch collets the machine uses either. I am constantly setting up endmills. AND with a cnc they have to be calibrated for repeatability.

I was never very good with money anyways. I have seen mills of this type (bridgeport boss tape drive) sell on ebay for 2k with more tooling. I think I jumped in a little quick.

When you purchase, get into it for the long haul. I'd make sure I got all the cookies.
    I did recently upgrade to Mach2 software and more I/O, now the mill is producing more. A valid investment. I can toggle mill directions According to range setup, Lube, coolmist or flood, and use all the gccodes the orginal bridgeport used. With the previous softwares I was not allowed to use the macro's .
    Lots of luck, and look before you buy. I'd email all the customers I could find. Yahoo maybe?

David

Comment

The Ajax is the Centroid control sold as a do it yourself and without factory support, hence the lower price.

Seems well recieved but I have seen posts where the support [ or lack of it ] has worried some people.
      I suppose it's all down to faith and experiance in dealing with these matters.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I've actually purchased a Pair of Boss 5's for 1800.00 1 is a rigid head and the other is the standard head like the standard bridgeport series 1. There is no tooling with them but they do use a Cat 30 Taper which seem a little less expensive than the quick switch.I'm planning on changing one over to Ajax and try to get the other to run via a rs232.Which should i swap out to the Ajax?

Thanks,

Comment

Ajax? anyone got a website? Cost?

Tuning seems to be a problem with them thou. Getting them to run right without losing interpolation.

David

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...818568945&rd=1
          Looks kinda pricy to me.. COnversion kits right above it using rutex drives 1750..

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 05-30-2004).]

Comment

IBEW,
            Where did you get the bit about tuning from if you hadn't heard of them previously?
            The web site is simple, it's their name AJAXCNC
            http://www.ajaxcnc.com/cnc_kits.htm
            Prices are also on it.

A full kit for a Bridgeport is $2364 and that includes three brand new servo motors and encoders.

Two men can fit this in one day which isn't bad if you are into production and need to get things out the door.

Unfortunatly it's DOS so no gee gaws or shiney buttons so it won't appeal to you

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John, The 2364.00 Is for Boss 7.2 and up it Doesn't include Servo motors. The kit for My Boss 5 is 4868.00 Plus freight It does include Motors. That pendant looks like it would come in handy.

[This message has been edited by DDMattox (edited 05-30-2004).]

Comment

I did spot that after I had posted.
                I also noticed that there are loads of extra that really should be in a controller as standard.
                Using sub routines, mirroring and co-ordinates puts an extra $1250 onto the tab.
                That's not really cricket.

John S.

Comment

I noticed that Extras add up with Ajax. I Have been debating on whether it would be better to buy a Older complete mill or Purchase the New Ajax controls and install them on the Boss. Please give me your opinions.

Thanks,
                  David

Comment

Started my Boss this week.Power supply etc right.Going to run Turbocnc.Picking up a cam so I will post pics as it goes.Don't hold your breath,as if and when I get busy again I have to stop.One of the down sides to a "one man shop".Though my wife says that I will never be half the man my mother was.
                    please visit my webpage:
                    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Motor...

Using turbocnc, I have the code here and used it for several months. Simple and cheap.
                      YOu are allowed one command per line of gcode.
                      I thought this was not a big deal till I started doing more code.

m09 m05 m00 'a valid line
                      (mistcoolant off,stop mill spindle,end program) lil things like this stops a 2,000 line program from happening in simple programs.

If I had it to do over, I'd wire the bridgy up like the emc setup, one rack I/o in the black door for 24vdc.limits and 5vdc.low voltage isolation to the stepper drives, and the other card I/o located in the h-voltage cabinet for inverter direction.off.on coolants.on.off estop.input drive.enable (scr module) spindle pneumatic.up.dn, spindle.enable, oiler.output , spindle.brake ... I use the opto-22 classic modules, cheap and dependable isolated i/o. 5vdc logic to configurable module outputs.

I really like the Mach2. Most the above is not supported thou in it. EMC is free, if you burn a disc it will run with the bridgeportio as normal mode. It boots off the cdrom. I don't know if thier install ever got all the bugs out. I got to cutting chips and forgetting about programs interchanges.

Mach2 blowes turbocnc out of the water. Worth its cost over and over. Even my usb joystick is supported. Sometimes I don't even write a gcode program, just run it by joystick. I can go 5 ways with software here. Turbocnc, Qstep, EMC,Mach2 and mysoftware. Mach2 heads the list of liked programs. No other changes needed, each has a setup file unique to it.

I wish I had servos. Much better than steppers. Just harder to setup. Faster and quieter. Steppers can lose steps with no feedback, hunting the home switch is one way of resolving it to confirm start position.

David

Comment

Working...
                      X