South Bend 10k spindle pully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend 10k spindle pully

I have a South Bend 10k lathe manufactured in 64. I would like to change the flat belt system out to a V belt. The lathe came both ways. I have had problems making roughing cuts and the belt walking off on me. I checked with South Bend and they want $850 for the 2 pulleys. I would like to build them myself but I have no specs for the od of each step. The v belt also adds 2 speeds to the lathe which would be nice. I asked South Bend for the specs and of course they got a good chuckle. Any ideas or has anyone done this before? I spelled pulley wrong on the title I can’t change it.

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 05-30-2004).]

Gundog,
    Have you thought about going over to poly vee's or serpentine belt as it's sometimes called.
    Pulls more power than flat or even vee belt, quiet and often you get get an extra sheath in compared to vee belts.
    These is a formula that leys you match the opposite pulley up given a fixed centre distance so you keep the same tension over the whole range.
    A 'J' type belt at 3" diameter and 720 rpm will handle 0.35 hp per rib so if you are running a 2hp motor 2 divided by 0.35 means you need a belt with 6 ribs, that's 9/16" wide.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John,
      I like your idea, where can I get these type of belts? By the way my lathe runs a 1/2 HP single أ? motor. I would like to upgrade the motor to a 3/4 HP motor with reverse.

Comment

You could probably get the pulley from one of "the usual suspects" list of used machinery dealers (Plaza Machinery, Meridian Machinery, Sobel Machinery, ....)

Making the spindle pulley would be non-trivial, as the inside has to be lapped to a fine finish to turn on the spindle when you're running in back gear. The countershaft pulley would be reasonably simple to make though.

If you do make pulleys though, give serious consideration to John's suggestion of using the poly-vee belt. Much more flexible than a regular V belt, and transmits a lot of power.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Or, and bear in mind I havn't seen one of these lathes, you might be able to machine the existing pullies and press and loctite a sleeve onto them for the new steps.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

SGW & John
            Thank you for the ideas keep them coming. I had not thought of the complication with the back gear. I guess I never thought about the way it is made inside the spindle. I thought the pulley pressed on the spindle shaft. The problem with machining the existing one is it is the only lathe I have and that would make me outsource the work. I really like the do it yourself idea. I will look at my exploded view of the headstock to see how it is made.

I have looked at the exploded view and you are right SWG the pulley does spin on the shaft when using the back gear. I have seen these flat belt pulleys on ebay fairly cheap then I could do some machine work on one of these. If I go with building some bushings for the new belt to run on should I cut small groves for the belt to grip? This would stop the belt from walking off under load.

[This message has been edited by gundog (edited 05-30-2004).]

Comment

This is what a poly vee pulley looks like for a J section belt.

The tool is an 11 tpi chaser out of a pipe threader.

John S.

Comment

Cripes John, stop showing off!
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Sorry,
                  but it was on the tips page.

John S

Comment

there was an article a while back in one of these magazines about making a v belt conversion for a sb 9 lathe .

Comment

You didn't say what kind of belt you are using now. Is it rubber or leather? If it's leather, consider changing to a rubber belt. You'll have to remove the spindle, because a rubber belt will not be spliced. Look at John Stevenson's photo, and get a belt that runs on that type of pulley, about the same width and length as the one you have now. Run it INSIDE OUT, the flat side on the pulley. Gates makes many sizes of these. A well stocked automotive store should have one that will work.

Tim

Comment

Regarding ribbed or serpentine belts, one user over at the southbendlathe yahoo group reported that on his flat belt heavy 10, he replaced the leather belt with a serpentine that was cut to length, and with the ribs running against the pulleys. The belt is "laced" with wire between the grooves, so it remains silent, no clicking. He reported that it solved all of his slippage problems. I'm not familiar with installing a belt on a 10K, so maybe you wont need to splice anything.

Comment

I have some good ideas to try. My belt broke the other day it was the fiber type with metal lacing. I am replacing it with the same type I already ordered it before I found this web site. I should also mention my lathe is the type with the motor in the stand not off the back.

Comment

Dec.2002/Jan.2003 Machinist's Workshop page 18 "Improving the Perfornace Of Your 9"& 10" S.B. Lathe" covers converting to V-belt drive plus several other improvements. Back issues should be available. Having said that and written the article, the easiest way is the serpentine belt which does require removal of the spindle (look out for spring loaded oilers which are easy to reinstall) and backgear. If you don't mind the sound of the splice, you can also use conveyer belting run rubber side to the pulley. Our local supplier usually has 1" wide scrap available.
                            Check out the article, the #3 Morse tailstock spindle is worth the price of the magazine (IMHO). John

Comment

Working...
                            X