DIY Rotary Broaching Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Rotary Broaching Redux

Mike of Mike's workshop web site gave the world a pretty cool and easy to make rotary broach design for the lathe some time back. Then he added some improvements to an already great design and made it better. He's since dropped another idea on us but since his pages aren't dated the best I can come up with is mid-December of 2014 for this newest idea - rotary broaching for the mill:

On a previous page I described a method for rotary broaching in the lathe . This method used very simple equipment to produce shaped holes (e.g. hexagons) in a rotating workpiece. The device was...

The original rotary broach is here:

Rotary broaching is a very useful way of producing hexagonal or other polygonal holes in metal. It can also be used to  to produce internal splines and other profiles. It is especially useful for...

Dennis

You must have been reading my mind. I need to make a 1/4 square opening in a wrench for my Gary Martin shaper. Thanks for the link,

Pete

Comment

THANK YOU! I was trying to remember where to find the original idea for this. Here's the HSM thread for the broach I made from Mike's idea.
      http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-rotary-broach

Comment

Originally posted by superUnknown View Post
        THANK YOU! I was trying to remember where to find the original idea for this. Here's the HSM thread for the broach I made from Mike's idea.
        http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...-rotary-broach
        Thanks for the reminder - I was busy moving during the time frame of your post and lost track of it and then lost it to CRS.

Comment

Wow. Got to make one. For small square and hex holes it's faster and way easier than my shaper. Obviously, big stuff and weird shapes, the shaper is still the go to.

Comment

Working...
          X