Vortex--revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex--revisited

A short time ago someone was asking some info on the Vortex cooler...

I did a lot of research on it, and I am going to try and make one...

My question is, has anybody here made one before??? I would like to get some do's and don'ts on the project before I begin...

A vortex cooler would be a great item to have when you are trying to press fit parts together...instead of using the freezer or liquid nitrogen, this vortex cooler would be easy, quick, safe, and fun...what do you think????

brent

Brent
    We used to drink Liquid Nitrogen and belch it during our labs - it really pissed our professor off.

***DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME UNLESS YOU ALREADY KNOW THE SAFE WAY TO DO IT!***

To get big drops in temperature will require high CFM's. The air should be a dry and as close to or lower than ambient temperture as possible as this will affect temperture drop (effeciency) of the unit. Use as large an air fitting as practical to permit maximum airflow in.

Have fun experimenting, I do not think anyone has achieved more than a 100* drop from ambient temp.

Comment

Why in the world would you drink liquid nitrogen? And don't reply,"because it was there" Maybe I was wrong about you, Thrud I think you are nuts. Or...maybe you are right and I'm nuts. Seriously, how did you do that and not be harmed?

Comment

I have never drank liquid nitrogen, but in Jr. High we used to put dry ice in our mouth so it looks like we were smoking...

but we were never stupid enough to put our tongue on a pole when it was cold...

brent

Comment

msrm:
          A "cool" professor taught me how to do it during a brain break. It can be done quite safely, but is dangerous if done wrong. How nuts can I be, I would never jump out of a perfectly good airplane!

(don't ask, I am not telling - can you imagine the look on Brent's face if I grabbed his Liquid Nitrogen and drank some?)

That drives them crazy.

(Hint: its all just physics)

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 04-21-2002).]

Comment

Brent
            I would never put dry ice in my mouth.

We used to deliberately stick our tongues to the flagpole - sometimes we got ten of us stuck at one time. The principal hated us. Then to penilize us they made us stay in where it was nice and warm and we could not get snow in our shorts. Darn. Thath was phun onth in a whale.

Comment

I dunno bout the rest of you guys, but I think Thrud went off the deep end a long time ago.

Comment

Brent
                Just sharing some warped humor - I have so much of it.

Do you ever go to the Morman Tabernacle just to listen to the Pipe Organ? Majestic isn't it? (I love those gut wrenching deeeep notes!)

Comment

So what's the big deal about drinking liquid nitrogen? I can hold a pan of boiling water in the palm of my bare hand. .... no, not by the handle silly!
                  Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

lynnl:

That is pretty tough, but I still have you beat (maybe):

I got a burger once that had a hunk of gurnsey hide in it, I removed it and ate the burger - my friend barfed (what are friends for?) and punched me for 5 minutes - everytime I took a bite he nailed me. Oh, to be young with a cast iron stomach again!

And since that when I suggest we go to that resturant he always gives me this dirty look...

Comment

Thrud "perfectly good airplane?" jumped hundreds of times for uncle sam from a variety of aircraft. never have I found a good one. My first father in law was airforce - the definition of a landing is "a controlled crash" if they don't have any faith in landing then neither do I. Would like to see the nitrogen drinking though.

Comment

tinker:
                        You are a braver man than me, Gonga Din.

Only two things would make this 400 lb. gorilla jump out of an airplane:

1) offered me too much money

2) I find out they served my buddy onions on a ten hour flight. (parachute optional)

I would rather be a sapper with the shakes.
                        Maybe I can show you how someday to partake of the "extra cold frosty" - no promises.

Comment

You can find plans for a simple vortex tube in the Amature Science colloum in the back issues of Scientific American. Think you con find an index on line or its in the new Ameture Science CD.

Comment

B,used a Vortec cooler with a air breathing supply,and it cooled the sandblasting hood so that it was more comfortable wearing it than standing in the sun watching! Used a big diesel engined compressor,so volumn was no problem. Adjusted the temp.with a valve. Would also blow heat in the winter. This was a comercially made Vortec about 4in.long and 1in.dia.

Comment

Here's an interesting link to a vortex cooler manufacturer.

http://www.exair.com/vortextube/vt_page.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X