OT: Help identify this device.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Help identify this device.

It came out of a friend's deceased parents' house & he thinks it's a kitchen tool. It's aluminum and looks like a sand casting. Very well made and has the letters BK2 cast into the inner face of the handles. The hole on the smaller end is about 1/4" dia. Looks to me like a food mold of some kind. Anybody know what it was used for?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Sure hope it's not a medical device hey?

Comment

Looks like some sort of mold... Possibly Soap?

Comment

Also almost has the shape of a pear

Comment

Avocado picker?

Comment

Looks like a mold for making lead bell sinkers. Cast from aluminum so that the molten lead doesn't adhere to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
              Sure hope it's not a medical device hey?
              Yup, there were a couple wiseacre remarks about body parts. One involved squeezing and the other stretching.

It is definitely pear or avocado shaped. Best guess here at work was egg yolk separator. Insert egg, squeeze and let the white run out of the hole, yolk stays inside. That doesn't explain the pear shape though.
              Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HARVEY-HPS-L...-/310863857523

Comment

Thanks Highpower, you nailed it!
                  Milton

Comment

chesapeake was way ahead of me actually...

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower View Post
                      chesapeake was way ahead of me actually...
                      Yes, but you cited an impeccable authority and chesapeake mentioned nothing about it being a vintage device.

Comment

The source is hardly impeccable. The seller only thinks he knows what it is- and I very much doubt it's a lead mold. Those aluminum handles would burn the caster before he'd dropped his second weight. There's no obvious method for attaching anything to the handles- screw holes, clamping slots, etc) so I strongly suspect it's not for lead.

Possibly candles, but I don't think the halves would seal well enough for liquid wax- and again, even that considerably lower heat would be uncomfortable at best for the caster. Perhaps a candy mold? (Just spitballing.)

Doc.
                        Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Reminds me of the things we used to make young bulls into steers. Clamp, Clamp and no more "Moo" making juice.
                          Cheers,
                          Gary

Comment

More lead sinker mold. JR

http://www.rubylane.com/item/167844-...num-Large-Pear
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I got one from my deceased grandparent's kitchen in the 1950's. It's a mock chicken leg maker. You put together a bowl of ground meat with whatever spices you like. Then you take the device and grasp a bunch of the meat into the two hollows. You then take a pointed stick and shove it into the hole at the bottom, release the two handles and you now have a chicken leg looking mass of meat on a stick. Lay them on a cookie sheet and bake them at an appropriate temperature and then pick it up by the stick and eat.

later entry. I remember my dad would get 1/4 dowels, cut them about 6 inches and sharpen them in a pencil sharpener and they worked perfectly. Mom would mix hamburger with Italian sausage. Wow, it was great. Bon Apatite. Hope I spelled that right.
                              Last edited by desertbob; 01-23-2015, 12:58 AM. Reason: second thought

Comment

Working...
                              X