Hendey tool room lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hendey tool room lathe

Hope I did good was at a customers the other day fixing 1 of there lathes (a previous employee fixed it), while walking around the place saw a Hendey Tool Room lathe asked what they were going to do with it, I was told don't know asked if they would trade some labor for it they said sure so I gave them 4 1/2 hours ($65/hr) labor for it, now I just have to clean 1/4" of dust off it and get it home. It looks like it has a motor generator in the base, D1-4 spindle nose, worse comes to worse I'll just rip everything out of the base, buy a new motor and a VFD to run it. No pictures yet want to get the dust off first.

The M-G units aren't all that troublesome. Scrapping the drive instead of cleaning and fixing (if needed) would be a shame.

Comment

Preemptive, "You suck"

Comment

Just hearsay until you post pictures and you suck.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Hogwash and piffle. It did not happen.

Comment

I also have a generator model. Be careful with the rectifier tube.
            I know others that have them too. Find more on the Monarch forum of PM.

-Doozer
            DZER

Comment

Once you have the serial #, find more about your lathe's history and parts availability from Hendeyman on PM.

Comment

Doozer that's it but your's doesn't have a 1/4" of dust on it. I have to go back there next week to quote installing a Newall DRO, short tube is only 36" long, loooong tube is 24' yes twenty four feet , so I'll take my camera with me and show all the dust on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  I also have a generator model. Be careful with the rectifier tube.

-Doozer
                  I recall it's a Thyratron tube, it's part what makes the Monarch and Hendey motor drives unique. Not a simple control like a VFD and you loose something gutting them. I'd just make sure the tube is well socketed before move moving.

Comment

Originally posted by duckman View Post
                    short tube is only 36" long, loooong tube is 24' yes twenty four feet ,
                    ????????
                    totally in the dark here, what's he talk'n about?

24 feet long?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                      ????????
                      totally in the dark here, what's he talk'n about?

24 feet long?
                      DRO scale?

Comment

More Coffee........

I was think'n 24 foot rectifier tube?.
                        OOps

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                          More Coffee........

I was think'n 24 foot rectifier tube?.
                          OOps
                          Some of the high power megnetron tubes are quite large. EE co-worker at Sperry worked on the DEW line at Thule. Radar tube was chainged out with a bridge crane.

Comment

A shop I worked at in the late 80's had an EDM with an early tube power supply .

The tubes were between the size of a 1 liter and a 2 liter Coke.
                            And gave off the coolest Frankenstien glow when the edm was cutting.

Comment

If you reread my thread I'm quoting the installation of a Newall DRO which uses a stainless steel tube filled with steel balls which is used for the measurement.

Comment

Working...
                              X