Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: radio sugnal coming through speakers on my desktop computer...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: radio sugnal coming through speakers on my desktop computer...

This morning a faint, fuzzy, but almost totally understandable radio signal is coming from the speakers on the desktop. Actually, I don't know for sure if it's radio, clearly male and female voices, constant talk, no commercials. I thought this was happening before, not as clear as this morning though. At first it seemed to be coming from the Comcast cable modem next to the speakers, but turning the speaker volume up/down shows it's clearly from the speakers.

What's up with this?

Tin foil top hat?

Comment

Electronics misbehaving is often the first sign Poltergeists trying to communicate or cross over. Unplug it and see if it happens again.

Or maybe its got something to do with all those black unmarked Chevy Tahoe's that you have been seeing in your neighborhood?

Comment

some length of wire in your computer or speaker was the correct length to match the wavelength of and orientation to the incoming signal to generate a voltage at the speaker from an incoming unencrypted radio signal. It also makes it more likely when you're talking about a speaker that has an amplifier in it, like many computer speakers do.

It's pretty much how a basic radio works. A crystal radio is just a diode, an earphone, and a length of wire of specific length. You can make a tuneable crystal radio by tapping into that length of wire at different places, to change the wavelength.

Comment

His PC speakers suddenly morphed into a crystal radio? Not buying it. "There's dirty work afoot here"

Comment

didn't morph at all. simply lined up with a wavelength being broadcasted on while not being suitable for other wavelengths.

A radio is just an electrical circuit that generates a fluctuating voltage from electromagnetic waves. All you need to do that is intercept a wave with a wire. The reverse is used to create the electromagnetic wave, a fluctuating voltage in a wire.

A speaker is a device that transforms fluctuating voltage into vibrations in the air.

Not a huge leap, it's easily defineable highschool level physics. A long speaker cable makes a great antenna if there's no choke on it.

That's why Cat5 cable is twisted pair, to nullify external interferance.
            Last edited by digiex_chris; 01-23-2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

The newest cable modems from Comcast/Xfinity are a bit spooky. The phone jack, even though I do not have that feature enabled, is hot to the point that if you plug a phone into it you can hear your voice in the earpiece. Also anywhere there is located one of these modems you can use it for a connection by clicking on Xfinity in your Wi-fi detected list and entering your user name and password. People are parking in front of my house and using my modem to access the net. There is no indication that that is what is happening and I didn't believe it until I went out to the street and asked a person doing it. I then went back into my house and tried it on a spare computer. It works. A bit disturbing.

As to strange noises? I get that when I visit the obituaries column from the local paper. And now I am watching that strange delay when typing this. And that statement just made it go away. Thank you. Are there any other trouble makers noticing that?
              Gene

Comment

you have 12 volts dc after the transformer in the computer, install a reversing switch to swap the neg for positive and positive for negative - the switch needs to be wired to the outside of the computer within reach - very important - next time you hear things then hit the switch and talk really loud to the area you heard the original sound coming from - this will now effectively be a microphone,
                say something like "may day - may day - can you read"
                then immediately flip the switch back to the "normal" mode - and I use the term normal loosely,,,

laugh if you want but the tin foil hat is not a bad idea if you want to keep your outgoing signal more pure...

Make sure you include the entire family in on this as when the crap hits the fan soon this is how we will all be communicating with each other,,,

Side Note; if you smell smoke coming from the computer when first attempting to speak
                out to someone do not worry - it's probably just a diode re-aligning itself, very common and after the first time you should be good to go...

Comment

could you a) have the speakers on and b) be looking at some web page that is playing a video -- either an ad or real content -- even if it's not actually in the part of the page that is displayed in the browser, maybe even on one of the tabs that you've forgot about? Or maybe have uboob running someplace?

Comment

Originally posted by digiex_chris View Post
                    didn't morph at all. simply lined up with a wavelength being broadcasted on while not being suitable for other wavelengths.

A radio is just an electrical circuit that generates a fluctuating voltage from electromagnetic waves. All you need to do that is intercept a wave with a wire. The reverse is used to create the electromagnetic wave, a fluctuating voltage in a wire.

A speaker is a device that transforms fluctuating voltage into vibrations in the air.

Not a huge leap, it's easily defineable highschool level physics. A long speaker cable makes a great antenna if there's no choke on it.

That's why Cat5 cable is twisted pair, to nullify external interferance.

Cutting to the chase, as they say.... He's suddenly receiving and hearing non-commercial communications through his speakers. I'd be more concerned as to what was going down in my neighborhood than why I'm receiving this. Location of DR, like SuperUnknown, ......is unknown. Are the RCMP, DEA, FBI, etc. about to bust a terrorist cell or take down a meth lab?

Comment

Finally went over the Sungal edge, tinfoil the entire room

Comment

dunno, most of those agencies are using encrypted frequencies now. At least the RCMP and FBI are. it's available even on family grade GMRS radios. I'd be more worried that I'm picking up a neighbor's baby monitor.

Comment

We had the same thing happen to us in the early 90's, on our tv. We could hear voices from it at random times when it was turned off. We tried unplugging it but the voices continued. Of course, the giant amateur radio tower right next door probably had something to do with it. I've often wondered if that radio energy did us any harm. To be able to drive a speaker obviously required a fair bit of oomph.

Comment

I think it is unlikely that anyone would hear radio signals breaking through into audio circuits in this day an age although it was common enough when the aether was saturated with megawatt AM signals.

Comment

Working...
                            X