I Just Hate Surprises...... Ass Backwards RT Tail Stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Hate Surprises...... Ass Backwards RT Tail Stock

I decided it was time to get a tail stock for my Yantai RT. I have some shaft work that I have to do. So I ordered the one from the company. http://yantaiuniversal.en.alibaba.co...Tailstock.html
    Looking at their picture it was just what I wanted so I picked the proper size for my 8" RT.
    Well when I opened the crate it was like what the heck did they do send me left hand model?????? The center is facing the opposite direction from what is shown in the picture. Had I know that I probably wouldn't have bought it. It will work but you have to turn it around which puts the lock lever in the back and just makes for an awkward set up. I've never seen one like this. After contacting the dealer that I purchased it from and explaining the situation, he checked all the others in stock and contacted the mfg. It appears that only this size tail stock is like this, all the others look like the one in the picture. My guess is it was either made for some index head or spacer that mounts on the right hand side of the mills table or some one screwed up and ran a bunch of these parts in reverse and said, well we screwed up lets sell them anyway, who will notice........ well I did. I asked him if he could just send me the head from a different TS but said he couldn't so he offered to take it back and will be sending me a pre-paid return label.
    The other thing I noticed is that the two keys on the base of the fixture are about 3/32" smaller than the slot in the table so they don't serve any purpose as far as aligning the TS with the Rt's center, but that would be an easy fix as I could have mad a pair of offset keys to align with the RT. The keys on the RT fit the table slot with almost no play as they should.

JL...........................

The one you got is obviously meant to be sold in Australia.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Touché' Evan.

For those that are "not aware" in Australia we are on the opposite side of the world (globe) and we drive on the wrong side of the road so far as the USA is concerned.

You might say that with respect to those on the northern side of the equator that we are "in the antipodes".

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=antipodes

Comment

I would have kept it and made do with it.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

In the old days of film photography this type of situation often happened due to a transparency getting accidentally flopped, inadvertently showing a mirror image of the subject. But I doubt anyone is using film now.

For what its worth I have the identical tailstock, oriented exactly as yours, albeit with a different finish. I have had it at least 8-10 years and have been pleased with it, although I'm using mine with a 5C spin index.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
            Touché' Evan.

For those that are "not aware" in Australia we are on the opposite side of the world (globe) and we drive on the wrong side of the road so far as the USA is concerned.

You might say that with respect to those on the northern side of the equator that we are "in the antipodes".
            Your toilets flush the wrong way around too.

Comment

Joe

That would just piss me off.

Send it back, or every time you use it it will piss YOU off.

Life is too short for that ;-)

Comment

Put the dividing head on the right and the tail stock on the left.
                Paul A.

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally Posted by oldtiffie View Post

Touché' Evan.

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                  That's because your waste-disposal vessels (for crapping and leaking) have opposite-handed screw threads which should have been changed over to left-handed when you went through Customs here. (No good changing in the ship or plane as they are the same as those in the USA).

There are better ways to study eddy currents (in water/fluids) than looking down toilet bowls. Eddy current/vortex's change direction as you cross the equator (North>South and/or South>North).

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=eddy+vortex

Comment

JoeLee

Those 8" rotary tables are very heavy and awkward to manoeuvre with a high probability of personal injury.

I had a "Vertex "one (and a correctly orientated tail-stock).

It was this one:

http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/R004

The "Vertex" model number was:
                    CS-8 - Super Indexing Head
                    203mm
                    63mm Bore

All up it weighed 76 Kg's 167 pounds - which was a real problem due to awkwardness and weight.

I by-passed the 6" version and went to the plain 6" rotary table. I didn't need the hassle of using the indexing feature for just a few/smaller jobs. I know all my usual angels in degrees and so just dial them in on the hand-wheel (which is in deg/min/sec).

I have a 6" rotary table and it is much easier to use and manoeuvre and it does all I want it to do.

The message I got was that the risks were too high and to make sure I never tried to use it again - gone!! and neither missed no regretted.

Same risks apply to larger "Kurt" vyces and larger lathe chucks.

I bought the 8" table for my-HF45 mill but as I do a lot (pretty well all) work on my smaller Seig X3 and SX3 mills I had no need for the 8" table (which would not fit comfortably on the Sieg mills) whereas the 6" table was as if it and the Seig mills were made for each other.

I put a "DivisionMaster"s permanently on one of my two 6" rotary tables and it works a treat - decimal indexing as well as power feed - and more. It cannot drive the 8: rotary tables as they are too heavy (or they were when I bought mine). I just plutinto mains power and away I go.

Here is the DivisionMaster operating manual - it is quite long and very good too - it has left no stone unturned - and is written for the average HSM-er.

http://divisionmaster.co.uk/divisionmaster-manual.pdf

It is not "cheap" in any way.

John Stevenson is the real "go to guy" with regard to the DivisionMaster and some of his pics of installations of it that he had done are amazing!!

Comment

Gotta love CHINGLISH instructions.
                      "CLOSE against the Tailstock."
                      HUH?

Comment

Chingalish Instructions" re "Close" seems OK to me.

Comment

Can the "block" that the center sits in be flipped around on the base?
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                            Gotta love CHINGLISH instructions.
                            "CLOSE against the Tailstock."
                            HUH?
                            The tag says close against the T-slot, not tail stock!!!! but as I mentioned in my original post the TS's keys are 3/32" smaller than the mills slots, lots of wiggle room there.

JL.................

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                              Can the "block" that the center sits in be flipped around on the base?
                              No, you can't flip it around or turn it up side down. That would be too easy!!!
                              I thought of drilling and tapping a hole on the other side for the tapers adjusting knob screw but that side is beveled off and the clamp for the MT center is in the way, wouldn't be able to drill very deep. If that corner wasn't beveled there would have been plenty of room to drill and tap. It would have been an easy fix. They messed up at the factory but won't admit to it. Out of all the sizes of adjustable TS's that this company
                              makes this is the only one that is reversed.

JL...............
                              Last edited by JoeLee; 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X