No announcement yet.

Rapid Tap cutting oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think many remember how well it used to work when it has the bad stuff in it... and the word of mouth never dies. I agree about today's stuff - no better than many other products, but I like the smell!

Comment

I prefer the sulfur based cutting oils for most materials. There are some cutting oils best used on high grade or special alloys though.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
        Cherish it above all others.
        I only use it for very special jobs. I use the Ridgid cutting oil on all other drilling, cutting and threading jobs.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by Carld View Post
          I prefer the sulfur based cutting oils for most materials. There are some cutting oils best used on high grade or special alloys though.
          I have to make a living too often drownd in collant doing horizontal work.
          I work dry when ever and where ever I can.
          So......
          Same here for sulfur based for spot-oiling. I also like pastes and solids, Anchor Lube comes to mind.
          And the blue stuff, comes in soap-bars or paste. ? AcuLube ?

Comment

Maybe your using the new chinese stuff rapid crlap that will acount for the brown staining and sulphurish smell.Makes sense when you think about it. Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
              Don't leave cutting oil, especially water soluble on your machine either, it will stain them.

Old hat, to prevent trichloroethylene, or other harmful chemicals, from getting into your liver you have to keep the liver completely filled with alcohol residue. This will block the liver so new chemicals can't enter.
              I think you've found the answer

Comment

It probably was 1,1,1 trichloroethane anyway. It used to be in all the cutting fluids but was banned by the Feds years ago. I used to work in a plant that made it. Millwrights working on a compressor or pump always had a bucket full of it on site for degreasing and general cleaning. It is one of the best degreasers ever made and worked super in a vapor degreaser. Whatever made it a good cutting fluid was kind of a mystery. The machinists all used it straight for hand tapping.

RWO

Comment

Originally posted by RWO View Post
                  It probably was 1,1,1 trichloroethane anyway.
                  RWO
                  YUP. I always thought it was 1,1,1 also. Trichloroethane is not the nasty stuff, trichloroethyleneis. But often gets a bad rap cause folks confuse the two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1,1,1-Trichloroethane

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichloroethylene

Trichloroethane is one of the best solvents out there for when you want something very clean. Vapor cabinets are an example.

Trichloroethane was banned from production due to its ozone depleting qualities not due to heath issues.

Rapid Tap, made by Relton stopped using 1,1,1 in the early 90's. http://www.relton.com/relton_story.html

Just so happens Relton makes one of my favorite aluminum cutting fluids, "A-9". The one in the green container.

I dont use rapid tap anymore. I use Tap Magic and add my own "magic". I have 30 gallons of 1,1,1. I spice up the Tap Magic with it and lemme tell you!! It works great.

I dont pour it on the ground, dont vaporize more than I need and dont let it touch my skin. Oh, and stay outta the fumes just like any other poison.

Dont get me wrong. Its still a poison, but so is gasoline. Thats why I dont drink it

More info on 1,1,1. http://www.toxipedia.org/display/tox...chloroethylene

One of my favorites for tough stainless steel is Castrol Moly-Dee. Bought a gallon of that. Smelly but once you try it with a really tough metal you will wonder why you weren't using it all along.. JR
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

keep the liver completely filled with alcohol residue. This will block the liver so new chemicals can't enter.
                    I see you have met my Doctor, Dr. Feelgood....
                    On a serious note that actually is true for methanol poisoning, ethanol is the antidote for methanol poisoning, it blocks the methanol from entering the liver.
                    Hence why a responsible biodiesel brewer such as myself must imbibe in a brew or two before getting to work on a batch...
                    Cheers,
                    Jon
                    Last edited by Jon Heron; 01-26-2015, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X