Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anger management.

We work with inanimate objects.
    It serves no purpose to get angry with them.
    Swear at them.
    Beat them.
    Or throw them on the ground.
    I have never understood people who, rather than try and figure out why something doesn't work, choose to yell and swear and throw tools around.

To release frustration.

John

Comment

heh.. I was once at a metal shop buying some stock... Boss got sick of his tape measure acting up and threw it across the shop aiming up at the ceiling, it shattering on impact.. He told me he goes through a lot of tape measures...
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Sometimes you just have to verbalize your frustrations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkYN8IZRT-w <-- Not workplace safe (language)

Comment

Originally posted by Rustybolt View Post
          Swear at them.
          Beat them.
          I have never understood people who, rather than try and figure out why something doesn't work, choose to yell and swear and throw tools around.
          The car shop owner I worked for for a while was like that. We were not into the car for 10 minutes and he was already F the car, F the job, F the tools, F the heat/cold. He never used cutting oil on taps and guess what, it was always F job when he broke one.

He was just that kind of F guy with 0 patience.

Comment

They are doing the wrong thing.

For me, machining is very relaxing actually. The complete opposite.

Comment

My brother was terrible. He would get so pissed so quick. I would tell him he had to be smarter than what he was working on, and that would set him off!

Comment

Swear at them.
                Beat them.
                The same reason lots of people say something like, "the stupid tractor wouldn't start." Tractors can't be stupid. A tractor is an inanimate object. Only tractor owners can be stupid.

Frustration is the sign of not knowing how to solve a problem. People that yell, swear and throw things or fits will not be tolerated by me. They either got fired or told to leave the property if they were not an employee. No room for that behavior around me. Sure the occasional "sh!t" or damn is one thing but to rant and rave, no way.

Swearing is a sign of weakness in my mind and a lack of education. It adds nothing to the conversation nor helps to make a point.
                How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

This is a no brainer!

We ain't cattle, or a flock of geese.
                  We're people, possibly the single most varied species on the planet.

If a man looses his temper, and (to appearances) makes an ass of him self.....
                  .... it tells me there's some fire in him.

I've seen individuals capable of things that 99% of their peers can't even hope
                  to be able to do, fly off the handle. I figure, this overreaction, may be a measure
                  of the intensity and passion with which he approaches his work.

I've seen individuals capable of things that 99% of their peers can't even hope
                  to be able to do, that are immovable. Literally nothing can shake them.
                  I figure, this lack of reaction, may be a measure of his devotion to remain
                  affixed at all times, regardless of circumstances. I look forward to an opportunity
                  to work along side either Man.

Both men have their limitations! I believe I'm actually more at ease with the first man.
                  Because, ain't a man been born, that don't have cracks in his armor.
                  And that calm "rock solid" individual has a vulnerable spot somewhere, be sure of it.
                  ...... And I'd prefer not to finally see it in the heat of battle.
                  Last edited by Old Hat; 01-29-2015, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Swear at them.
                    Beat them.
                    This is why I always have several unrelated projects going. I get too involved in what I'm doing and I have learned to work on something else before I start getting too frustrated.
                    I've found I get things done faster and better by walking away than by sticking with it when I'm upset/frustrated. I never was one to throw things though, things get expensive.

Comment

Years ago I was a student at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa, California. They had several handball courts that had been overrun by racketball players which is an aside, but one day a racket ball player was having a really bad day on the court and verbalized his frustration by frequently grabbing his baseball cap and throwing it on the ground accompanied by epithets as to the intelligence of the hat thusly: "stupid hat!". Then he'd pick it up and put it on again. Later it was my turn to play him and I won the game, tossed down my racket and started playing handball with my buddy. It was the only way we could get a court, and since we were never challenged, it was our court for as long as we wished to play

Comment

I overheard a conversation like this among a handfull of factory women.
                        I was quietly repairing a machine near them.

Boy they can teach us a thing or two.
                        Basicly they boiled it down to truth.

If we all had word balloons over our heads, for all to see.......
                        ...... The world would be a bit simpler place to live in.
                        Last edited by Old Hat; 01-29-2015, 01:04 PM.

Comment

A buddy of mine works on chainsaws... when a customer asked him why he didn't work on "real" engines, he said "'cos I can't pick them up and throw them across the room".

I don't throw things.. but I do cuss a lot. Seems to help. The wife thinks I only cuss when she's watching, but she's wrong. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Swearing is a sign of weakness in my mind and a lack of education. It adds nothing to the conversation nor helps to make a point.
                            Bollocks..................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

Frustration is the sign of not knowing how to solve a problem. .
                              My God..... you really manage sometimes don't you.

shoot me a PM, if ever you decide to take up the Bow......
                              ... gonna stand in front of you, to reduce the chances of being hit.
                              Last edited by Old Hat; 01-29-2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X