Nice vid! on several fronts.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice vid! on several fronts.........

Fella has a steady that's part roller, and part contact, Cool.
    I luv his litto' Bar too!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KhoVmjFVS4

I like the method he counts off with.
    I like the partial engagement on the clutch too, then pushes it home.
    Instead of yanking rite up on it.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 01-30-2015, 04:07 AM.

Adam is the real deal.
    Cheers,
    Gary

Comment

I enjoy all his Video's.

Comment

I listened more carefully, I think he said "he had to go to work to put it on the bar".
        If he went, to his place of employment.... how Cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
          I listened more carefully, I think he said "he had to go to work to put it on the bar".
          Yep, his place of employment has a nice boring mill that is fun to watch Adam run. He knows that machine well, since his family business owned/ran it for years.
          He has a lot of fun in his home shop and even bigger fun at his day job.
          Cheers,
          Gary

Comment

Shhh... I have fun at work on my Bar too......... as long as I tune out 80% of our workforce
            that really should find occupations they could accell at.

My God I would luv to find a little lefty somewhere and bring it home.

Comment

This one would be absolutely PERFECT!
              http://www.surplusrecord.com/cgi-bin/adpop.pl?715072

I've never liked out-rigged saddle ways on the floor.
              Spindle Taper # 5 Morse
              Spindle Speeds Main 13 To 1,500 Rpm's
              Spindle Travel 18"
              Spindle Feeds .001 To .698 IPR
              Spindle Head Travel Up & Down 48"
              Saddle Travel In & Out 59"
              Table Size 34"X68"
              Table Travel Cross 48"
              Main Motor 10 Hp.

ps;
              If you know this good fellow, how's his health?
              I could drop dead as easilly as the next man,
              but there's a repetitive hesitation, and a seemingly
              shortness of breath when he's talking.

I've know some hard work'n heavys in my time go the distance,
              but shortness of breath ain't good. Could just be my bad hearing.
              Last edited by Old Hat; 02-01-2015, 04:39 AM.

Comment

I found it interesting that he bottomed out the drill bit in the chuck when tightening it up. I was always taught to only go to the base of the numbers on the bit then tighten it down because that is the "soft area" of the bit that the chuck can grab better.
                Andy

Comment

It is really great when you work for someone that will let you use the/some of the machines for your own stuff.

Here is a couple photos of my version of the tool used to scribe bolt circles. Rather than trust the point of the threading tool to be ground central to the shank, I ground this tool so I could touch a known diameter and then crank in/out the proper distance to get the right size circle. It also eliminates one step of math, dividing the shank size by two.

I used a brazed carbide tool for this one, it would probably work just as well in HSS, and maybe even be a little more difficult to break, although as is evident, this particular tool has seen a lot of mileage riding around in the toolbox tool drawer.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                    I found it interesting that he bottomed out the drill bit in the chuck when tightening it up. I was always taught to only go to the base of the numbers on the bit then tighten it down because that is the "soft area" of the bit that the chuck can grab better.
                    From watching his movements, I suspect he loaded that drill 100% involuntarily.
                    They may have three / four chucks for that bar. And know each one by name.

I might have a worn chuck that centers up tits, with the bit seated.
                    I might have one for chucking taps that I don't have a Morse driver for.
                    Keyless chucks I don't let the drill hit bottom, for obvious tightening reasons.

There's loads of variables, but your awareness is a Cool Thing.

Comment

ps;
                      If you know this good fellow, how's his health?
                      I could drop dead as easilly as the next man,
                      but there's a repetitive hesitation, and a seemingly
                      shortness of breath when he's talking.

I've know some hard work'n heavys in my time go the distance,
                      but shortness of breath ain't good. Could just be my bad hearing.
                      Several videos back, he addressed a recent issue with irregular heartbeat and resulting hospital stay. I'm sure he is super aware now and is making some lifestyle changes. On the other hand, as you noted, some people can live a very long life, all the while smoking, drinking (to excess), poor diet, no exercise and yes often too much weight. Then we see super healthy looking people that are struck down in the prime of life from a sudden health crisis. I'm wishing Adam all the best and enjoy his efforts to share the trade.
                      Cheers,
                      Gary

Comment

Didn't watch much, but given the care he was taking was surprised to see him putting the coax into a drill chuck.

Comment

Originally posted by gcude View Post
                          I'm wishing Adam all the best and enjoy his efforts to share the trade.
                          Here Here!
                          Long Live Adam!

Comment

Didn't watch much, is the undo-ing of it.
                            I don't care who you watch, we will see a thing and wonder.
                            When every third thing is questionable.....
                            .... then ya need to wonder.

example, no real chucking pressure on the coax,
                            and I would have simply used my wiggler......

or done the trig. coax may be a sweety for him.

Comment

Fwiw, by "didn't watch much" i meant "scanned through the first 38 minutes of a rather boring 45 minute video". Didn't watch carefully, but chucking a coax in a drill chuck caught my attention. Yes, it's a relative measurement, but that's to centerline of the device. Which with a drill chuck is +\-0.003" at best.

Bad technique, and you know it.

Comment

Working...
                              X