Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jones & Shipman Sine Centre - How's it used and is it worth anything ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The sine center and its reference block would probably have to be set up on a surflace plate? Correct? At least a 24 x 24" pink granite, if not larger.
    Last edited by Rosco-P; 02-03-2015, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I think he meant, that's where this unit is an exception? It's all one casting?
      If so it could be used out on the floor, as a stand alone.

Comment

LHC,

What are the roll centres distance? I see 25" on the tag, my sense of scale ain't so good, and I thought the Brits went metric after the Titanic went down.

Comment

That unit would likely be found on a granite plate, but it is self sufficient as made. The one shown is a centers sine plate. It has its own integral flat reference plate which the rolls reference against. The centers are 20" between rolls? The plate says 25", but I suspect that is the length of the full mounting plate for the two centers. Why so long? Because, remember, with this you are measuring half angles from center--not included angles. By fact of the centers being twice as far apart as a standard 10" sine plate, the gage block stacks have some more height for setting very small angles as are found on self-holding tapers, etc. (i.e. 1-2 degrees).

re: scale. I think the sense of scale is not being adequately conveyed by the pictures. This thing is big. It wouldn't fit on a 24x24" granite flat without hanging off the edges more than a couple inches on either side.

Depends on the shop. I've beeen in a shop that almost strictly makes industrial rollers (printing press rollers, processing plant rollers, etc.). There wasn't a flat surface plate in sight. Bench centers were everywhere. 99% of their machining was between centers, so all their metrology gear was too.
          Last edited by Arthur.Marks; 02-03-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carm View Post
            LHC,

What are the roll centres distance? I see 25" on the tag, my sense of scale ain't so good, and I thought the Brits went metric after the Titanic went down.

25" roll centres distance. Measured with a precision 25 foot stanley carpenters tape......

I can't see myself ever using this contraption but it is cool nonethelsss.......

Comment

My Crystal ball says you will soon receive a PM
              from a member in Chicago Ill.

Comment

LHC, Thanks for the reply.
                Mr.Marks I agree with your surmise but was puzzled by 25 CTC.

Comment

Sine center? Okay, it must tilt up from one end or other. But, the area visible in the picture doesn't show a precision surface to left or right of what appear to be pins to pivot up on.

BTW, it amazing how much stuff like this gets thrown out. Long time ago I was going to a meeting with my contact at a medical equipment customer. There in the parking lot near the loading dock was a dumpster large enough to drive my car into. At the far end of the dumpster was a Bridgeport mill that I knew to be fairly new, along with work benches and assorted other machinery, garbage and tooling. Like most of us on here I went in and started gathering what I wanted. Before I could get anything out along came a Brinks guard telling me to get out of there immediately while pointing at the biohazard signs I had ignored.

What was happening was the company was moving to another facility and their boss was paranoid of industrial espionage. His thoughts were that someone might get their hands on the Bridgeport and somehow be able to determine what sort of prototype products they had being developing on it. Ridiculous, of course......but in the whole scheme of things the value of that B'port was chicken feed compared to the company's earnings.

Comment

Review the pic #1
                    See the round caps, likely covering two pin-bores.

Comment

We used it on a 5' surface table, not just for taper, but for exercises like one of my favourites, a crankshaft, it fitted between centres quite well, off some car, which it didn't know but you had to check straightness, concentricity and so on, I actually enjoyed that a lot.
                      Watch it don't eat your fingers!
                      Mark

Comment

One of the plants I worked in,used 1 in incoming tooling inspection.Used to check the size of teeth on box broaches (think boxend wrenches 6 and 12 points)each tooth had to take a certan amount of materal off.

Comment

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                          So I'm thinking I should hang onto it and not toss it into the dumpster then ?

The lump on the back is part of the casting - it's the "level" surface you slide an indicator along I guess...
                          Yeah, that would be a good plan. There's been times I despaately needed a gadget like that. Low usage but so super handy for tapered age making which I've had to do year to year.

Comment

Google Images search 'sine centre':
                            https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...entre&imgdii=_

David Merrill

Comment

Google Images search "sine center":
                              https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...er%22&imgdii=_

David Merrill

Comment

Here is the J&S sine centres taken from one of their brochures. This gives an idea of what you can use them for. You need a set of slip gauges (gauge blocks) to make use of them as shown.

I see it weighs 110 kgs!

Last edited by Peter S; 02-05-2015, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X