• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thou shall not 'Wife' thy Brother. not OT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtS4or4lykY

In other words, respect and learn,
    As opposed to, nittPick, and nag.

I keep watching more of this fellows vids!
    What impresses me most is his terrific mind-set.
    He constantly validates, as naturally as breathing.
    He counts off frequently. Sound familiar? No?
    CNC doesn't do a damn thing without constantly counting off!
    He's in a perpetual state of monitoring is advances.

SO... I liked his vid.
    I did note leave a nagging comment, excoriating him for filing over the chuck.
    I nearly never do that, as I have perfected ambidextrous filing,
    and have no need to do it.
    I did not harass him for running his thumb over the lead
    to test it's smoothness while running the spindle.

He's a big boy, and I'm sure he's competent day to day, with out me nittPicking him.
    I've made great strides in my tig welding this last year........
    but I've managed to light my clothing on fire twice, as a result of poor observation
    of my peripheral circumstances, and run myself out of argon twice
    botching my repairs, and having to grind out and re-weld them.

Google up Members sites, or sites of local shops.
    No-one show-cases vids (on purpose) of their botched work,
    or tooling damaged by a missed bad edit...

Point is, again.
    Respect and Learn, and Share
    As opposed to, nittPick, and nag.
    Last edited by Old Hat; 02-04-2015, 10:19 AM.

I hear you. Reading youtube comments is to weep for humanity.

Comment

always gotta remember the internet is littered with comments by the vocal minority. for every person willing to post ridiculous obnoxious comments there are dozens who view, observe, learn, and then say nothing. a few old adages come to mind, such as:

"better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

if i see something that i don't think is correct and am willing to comment at all, i'll sometimes try to word it in a way that has me asking a question rather than just pointing a finger at someone because maybe there was a valid reason and i don't want to end up proving the above quote. usually a little tact will produce the same result without a mud slinging fest. after all, the definition of diplomacy is:

"the ability to tell someone to go to hell in a way that actually makes them look forward to the trip."

Comment

The British approach works, make fun of yourself before anyone else gets a chance, instantly disarms btw, if I screw up I do it, all on my own!
        I used to be very touchy, very stressful
        Mark

Comment

You created this thread to advise us not to nitpick/nag/wife somebody and then you went on to do just that (and in a forum where he's not likely to read it) with this inclusion:

SO... I liked his vid.
          I did note leave a nagging comment, excoriating him for filing over the chuck.
          I nearly never do that, as I have perfected ambidextrous filing,
          and have no need to do it.
          I did not harass him for running his thumb over the lead
          to test it's smoothness while running the spindle.
          Do you ever read what you write?

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post

Do you ever read what you write?
            Certainly, all of it!
            I read all of a post.
            And I put the words together, to see what they mean.
            ==============
            Did I not also lay-out a case of my own short-commings?
            Did I not also speak highly of his over-all approach?
            Have I not allready commended him in several other threads?

A little hard to write about a thing, and not identify it!
            I hope he does read it. I'm certain HE has the brains to understand it.
            Last edited by Old Hat; 02-04-2015, 12:46 PM.

Comment

FYI- Adam reads every comment on every video he posts and replies to a lot of them.
              He REALLY appreciates the feed back and encourages people to post comments. On occasion someone will get a little nasty or come off as a know it all but the majority of viewers like him as do I.
              He is a genuine guy and loves what he does. Those who have followed him know he is "home grown", he grew up and learned his craft in a family owned local machine shop. He is not a bragger and has never acted like a know it all- he says on a regular basis "I know there are other ways to do this but this is how I was taught or this is how we always did it". He was taught by his dad who was taught by his dad.
              Adam is a subscriber here but doesnt post much to forums (he has a popular thread over on practical machinist but doesnt post much there anymore).
              I know he appreciates the kind words here on the Home Shop Machinist forum- he texted me this morning and asked if I saw the threads here.

Gill McLane

Comment

Originally posted by GillMcLane View Post
                I know he appreciates the kind words here on the Home Shop Machinist forum- he texted me this morning and asked if I saw the threads here.

Gill McLane
                I'd like to meet him one day!
                Text him back, and give him high regards from the North.
                Last edited by Old Hat; 02-04-2015, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lost_cause View Post
                  always gotta remember the internet is littered with comments by the vocal minority. for every person willing to post ridiculous obnoxious comments there are dozens who view, observe, learn, and then say nothing. a few old adages come to mind, such as:

"better to be silent and thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."

."
                  There's an old adage I like better: "Don't worry about making a fool of yourself. Other people don't mind, in fact they rather enjoy it".
                  Last edited by cameron; 02-04-2015, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post

A little hard to write about a thing, and not identify it!
                    I hope he does read it. I'm certain HE has the brains to understand it.
                    Are you suggesting we're too stupid to recognize nagging, berating, and faux criticism when we see it? You could easily have made your point without tossing in here your graciously withheld observations there where Adam fell afoul of your ever watchful imperious eye. Your OP was an admonishment to all of us and one which you failed to follow, yourself. You even besmirch married women by changing the noun "wife" to the pejorative verb "to wife". I'm trying to think of anyone not directly or indirectly insulted by that post. I think you covered everyone pretty well.

Comment

... "the ability to tell someone to go to hell in a way that actually makes them look forward to the trip."
                      I always understood that diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' until you can get your hands on a brick.

George

Comment

if i see something that i don't think is correct and am willing to comment at all, i'll sometimes try to word it in a way that has me asking a question rather than just pointing a finger at someone because maybe there was a valid reason and i don't want to end up proving the above quote. usually a little tact will produce the same result without a mud slinging fest. after all, the definition of diplomacy is:

"the ability to tell someone to go to hell in a way that actually makes them look forward to the trip."
                        What if somebody is one step ahead of you. They know you subscribe to the 'better silent than open mouth and prove a fool', so they open their mouth and act the fool so you underestimate him. But really he is double playing you, so you try to eventually expose his flaws, when really, he will then take that opportunity to expose yours, and then thereby revealing his even higher level of understanding that takes you by surprise.

Comment

I'm not up to date on the sociolinguistic trends of the twerps, tweets or whatever they're called so I'm still trying to figure out what it means when you "wife" someone. Is it some kind of transgender antigram or something?

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            I'm still trying to figure out what it means when you "wife" someone.
                            Dyslectic internet connection.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hat View Post
                              Google up Members sites, or sites of local shops.
                              No-one show-cases vids (on purpose) of their botched work,
                              or tooling damaged by a missed bad edit...
                              Some of us have... well, i didn't post it on my site because - aside from paying attention there was not much to learn from it, but did post it here.
                              http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...8pic-inside%29

_
                              ~ What was once an Opinion, became a Fact, to be later proven Wrong ~
                              http://site.thisisjusthowidoit.com
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjusthowidoit

Comment

Working...
                              X