ER32 drill jig.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER32 drill jig.

I’m having to drill & tap some holes in my X-3 mill to mount the new glass scales and needed a drill jig. Ever since I had to get glasses with progressive lenses a couple years ago, I can’t trust my freehand drilling to be square anymore. I usually just cobble up something from scrap but the next time I need one it’s either the wrong size or buried somewhere.

I looked around for something to make a more substantial one from and found this piece of an ER32 chuck left over from another project. I milled a couple flats on it to fit my homemade ER wrench, made up some bushings from O-1 rod and I’m in business! It feels good in the hand & is easy to hold flat against the work. The bushing can easily be slid out to control the depth as well. Now I just have to figure how to use a tap with it & I’ll be all set.

Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Looks like a useful project. My dad would have said "Now that's using your noodle".
    Jim

Comment

Well my dad would have said, "Why go around the world the long way?".
      Just drill a hole is a piece of scrap steel block.
      Why the complexity??

-D
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        For the scenery.

Comment

I hear ya'. I've done that many times but as mentioned, I lose them or reuse for something else. This one along with some drill rod blanks goes in a toolbox drawer so I'll know where it'll be next time I need it. It's also easily adjustable for depth control.

Besides, I like it...so there.
          Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by peekaboobus View Post
            For the scenery.
            Nutshell, that

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
              Besides, I like it...so there.
              I do too! I'm going to make one pretty much the same as yours.
              Nev.

Comment

I like it! Very inventive use for a collet chuck.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Why the complexity??

-D
                  Whatever floats your boat. I like the "eggcup" with the slip fit renewable drill bushings that are used on aircraft work.
                  http://spenro.com/portable-housings-...ngs-p-727.html
                  Find them on Fleabay

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                    Whatever floats your boat. I like the "eggcup" with the slip fit renewable drill bushings that are used on aircraft work.
                    http://spenro.com/portable-housings-...ngs-p-727.html
                    Find them on Fleabay
                    They are really proud of 60812 are they not in that link ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                      I like the "eggcup" with the slip fit renewable drill bushings that are used on aircraft work.
                      That's pretty cool right there! Learned something new; thanks!
                      Milton

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
                        That's pretty cool right there! Learned something new; thanks!
                        Heck no, it's just an aircraft thing. Found them while searching Fleabay for an assortment of drill bushings when making a center drilling jig for shafting.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                          They are really proud of 60812 are they not in that link ?
                          It's probably a "milspec" thing. That's the size they sell to the gummint.
                          Milton

Comment

That is a neat use of a collet chuck.

I have a somewhat large collections of drill chucks, many of them not mounted. I often use them in much the same manner, to hold various tools for hand use.

I recently purchased a couple of 1/32" to 1/2" ones with an unusual taper so they were very inexpensive. I do not plan to mount them. But they will serve nicely for holding drills, taps, countersinks, and other small tools and their overall size provides all the manual torque I will need. With a variety of these unmounted chucks, I can have several hand mounted tools at hand at a time.

You do not need a really good drill chuck for this kind of use, if you are just using it as a handle, any run-out figure less than 1/4" is more than good enough.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Okay, nice holder for drill bushings. Now how do you deal with locating the holder where you want the hole to be?

Comment

Working...
                              X