Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT............ Fire Fox Browser Rembering Passwords ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT............ Fire Fox Browser Rembering Passwords ???

Suddenly my internet provide decided to upgrade the security on their email log in page. Now I have to enter my user name on two different pages and then my password on another and my log in session times out in about 20 min. or so and it doesn't remember my user name or password any more nor does my browser prompt me to remember it. What a pain when you check your mail a dozen times a day and have to go through all this sign in business each time. Prior to this I used to stay logged in for days before timing out and being prompted to log in.
    I've been told that there are programs out there that will do all this remembering for you. Any suggestions??? Fill me in please.

JL................

I consider that behavior to be excellent, actually, and go out of my way to make sure my browser and email clients never remember my passwords for anything. But that's not for everyone (until your computer is stolen and the thieves have all your passwords already in place). The problem you have, I think, is the cookies also changed for the site and you need to use your Firefox cookie manager to delete what you have and that will force the browser to request a new cookie on the next connection.
    Last edited by dp; 02-06-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: I type too fast

Comment

I did delete temp files, cookies and history but that didn't make any difference.
      I never let my browser remember any passwords for important stuff, just a few web sites, email. etc.
      If it gets hacked what is any one going to get???

JL...............

Comment

If it gets hacked they can get everything you can access. The bigger problem is if it is stolen. Then they have access to all your stuff you can access only with a password. Worse yet if you let your computer remember credit card numbers and fill-in form data. People really do this.

Comment

Dp has it, but password security can end up so much of a pain regular people end up with them on post it notes taped the screen, bypassing any complexity or requirements to change in a certain period anyway, that high security stuff should be enforcing...

But, security hat off, keepass is a pretty good way to keep track of things, then you just need to protect one thing with a secure password rather than remember 100 or have the same password everywhere which is even more of a bad idea, and it gets the passwords out of the browser itself which is a improved situation, plus if your pc is stolen, the theives still need the password to your keepass database to open it which hopefully you can make strong and unique.
          http://keepass.info/

Then, you can use a add on to intergrate that to firefox.
          http://keefox.org/

I know of large companies with all their passwords stored in a keepass database saved on a cd rom as a disaster recovery solution...

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
            If it gets hacked they can get everything you can access. The bigger problem is if it is stolen. Then they have access to all your stuff you can access only with a password. Worse yet if you let your computer remember credit card numbers and fill-in form data. People really do this.
            I have never put any private data into any email and have never let the computer remember an passwords to anything of any value.

JL....................

Comment

I use Keepass. Some of the nice features are you can put it on a usb stick, and it has a great password generator if you need to update passwords regularly. You just click on the required elements such as special characters, upper or lower case, etc, and it will generate the password for you.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                I have never put any private data into any email and have never let the computer remember an passwords to anything of any value.

JL....................
                My ex from two mistakes ago did just that and got cleaned out. I'd not be surprised if she's still doing that. Unsolicited advice is often the worst advice and most always the least appreciated but I continue run my systems like I was still working in IT, part of which is endless mentoring which I agree can get pretty old after a while - like playing cards with Kenny Rogers as they say. Drives my wife nutz but she did come to me yesterday with a concern regarding our on-line banking and PayPal because she did a silly thing. She did recognize it as a mistake one microsecond after the mouse click that put the gears in motion, but it all turned out well. The email she got was actually from Paypal.

Comment

I started using LastPass a few months ago. It keeps your passwords in an encrypted file on their site and on your computer. Each time you start your browser you must enter your LastPass master password to allow access to your stored passwords. It allows you to program its behavior for each site so it can automatically log you in if desired when the site requests a login. It can fill forms or parts of forms, depending on how you set it up; you can then fill forms by right clicking and selecting from the menu. It can generate strong passwords for sites if desired. And lots more capabilities. LastPass and Keepass are the most recommended of the password programs; both are worth considering.
                  John

Comment

Like most security things I tend to over-build and have an interior server on my local network with a database (mysql) that has double-blind encrypted passwords (meaning even the disk backups are secure) and is accessible only on the local machine via https protocol. It requires a VPN connection if coming in from outside the network and once connected it is necessary to tweak the ACL on the interior router table to reach the subnet that server is on. Even if someone steals the server the second password exists only in my head and without both passwords the data is seriously encrypted. Meat-based password vaults are still pretty secure. I'm a big believer in the principle that if your system security isn't annoying it isn't secure, either. This one even annoys me.

Comment

I've used Password Safe (free), originally written by security guru Bruce Schneer, for 8 years:

http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net

No complaints ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_Safe
                      Last edited by tlfamm; 02-07-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X