115v AC Motor Wiring - 6 leads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115v AC Motor Wiring - 6 leads?

Ok, I got a bargin on an AC Gearmotor but the box on the side is missing (No diagram). There's six leads coming from the motor. I found a painted-over tag on the motor that says it's a GE 5KCP20HG4806. It's attached to a Bison Gear box with a label that says it's model 016-242-2-23. No help from Bison or GE sites (old models).

Anyone have an idea of what wire goes were? Here's the colors:
    White
    Black
    Orange
    Yellow
    Brown
    Red

By the way, what does "Permanent Split Capacitor" mean?

Thanks, Ken

Well, it's a capacitor start and run motor. A split capacitor has two capacitors in one can, say a 5 mfd and a 20 mfd. Can't help with the wire colors though.

The permanent split capacitor motor has the start winding always energised through the capacitor, no centrifugal switch.

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 05-22-2004).]
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I did a Yahoo search using this:
      Permanent Split Capacitor motor wiring diagram

There were a bunch of pages in PDF that looked like they might have what you need. I didn't look at them since my computer often shuts down with a "paging error in non-paged area" error. I don't like to invite the BSCoD by viewing PDF pages unless I really have to.

Roger
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Thanks Evan and Roger. I did the search too with several variations and none of the sites provided any help. Most were selling books or memberships. Many were just training decriptions. The few sites that actually had a "wiring diagram" were multispeed fan motors and didn't help. Why all the secrecy over wiring a motor?

I did notice that PSC motors don't necessarily have two capacitors. The diagrams I found showed one capacitor that was across the forward and reverse taps. What's up with that? Were these incomplete diagrams?

I guess the question of motor wiring has come up so often that it's become advantageous to SELL the info.

Comment

I found this diagram:
          http://www.perfectsystems.biz/XLS_6.74_x_7.91.jpg

by using this image search:
          http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...TF-8&n=20&fl=0

Too bad the cord from the switch has so many wires, but at least it shows which motor leads are hooked together to change voltages. Maybe that info or one of the other diagrams will help.

Roger

[This message has been edited by winchman (edited 05-24-2004).]
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

KEn: Is your problem solved? If not, measure (with ohmmeter with a LOW range) the resistance from each lead, to all other leads and post.

I suspect we can deduce which windings do what (start/ run, 220, 110) make note of any switches and which leads go to the switches. Any name plate data (hp, phase, voltages etc would help also.
            Steve

Comment

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does BSCoD mean??

Comment

Jaymo, if it causes his computer to crash he is probably referring to the blue screen of death. James

Comment

Have you solved this problem yet? I was just trying to find the articles in HSM about electric motors,...didn't find the one I was looking for but did come across something in Nov/Dec 1986 issue page 29-31 about a 6 wire GE with diagrams that may help. I can send pics. I can also keep looking for the other articles if needed. [email protected]

Comment

No solution yet.
                    I'm still looking.

Comment

You asked initially 'what does split capacitor mean?" Did you ask just out of curiosity or because you know that your motor is a PSC?

Also, it will definitely help if you can measure the resistance as mentioned before and post the findings. Also, if you can see which of the wires go to the capacitor(s) by pulling off the capacitor cover you won't have to measure those...

Comment

Grab one wire,any color,check resistance to all other wires,it should make continuity to one possibly two of the other wires,tie them together and do the same with the remaining leads.
                        If you find that you have three sets of two wires each that show continuity,then you have either a split phase capacitor start motor,or a single speed reluctance start capacitor run motor.
                        If you find that you have two sets of three wires then you have a two speed reluctance start capacitor run motor.Let me know what you find,in the mean time I'll try to find my connection book ,hard to explain from memory,if it was infront of me it would take ten minutes tops to make it run.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 06-03-2004).]
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks all. (Got the email Mayuhm) I'll have to meter the wires tomorrow. The front brakes are hanging up on the old farm truck so gotta work on that first thing AM. I need it to finish stringing fence. Only about 1800' left to do.

Geez, always something with more priority being added to the list.

I ran across "similar" motors on the GE and other sites. It mentioned PSC motors. That was the only reason I asked about it. I think this is a single speed, reversable motor (gearmotor). There's no switches or e-box to it. It just has the six wires coming out of the side of the motor. There's a covered fan on the back end, inline gearbox on the front "C" mount. The only "plate" info is on the gear box:
                          "115v,1-phase,2.35a,59rpm,150in/lb start,170in/lb run."

About 1/3HP ?

None of the diagrams say what wire does what. They only give "color to color" or "color to number" in their diagrams. These are useless, to me, without knowing what the "number" is doing. (Ground, switch, cap, etc.)

Comment

How about a good picture of said unit?
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

WS, I can do that but not having a Digital Camera is a PITA. May be the end of next week before I finish out the roll.

Comment

Working...
                              X