5C collet closer for lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5C collet closer for lathe

Got a 14" Logan that can take 5C, but not the collet spindle adapter or drawbar. Would finding (or buying new) the spindle adapter and drawbar be better than one of the closers? Just for home use, no repetitive parts so don't need the lever type.

I've got a bunch of 5C collets I've built up over the years. I would think the spindle adapter should be more accurate, but not sure enough to matter. There's plenty of D1-4 collet closers out there. The spindle is 1 5/8" through.

Thanks,
    Rich

You can go with either kind, as the spindle bore is big enough. I use the lever kind, even for one or a few of something. I don't like the handwheel ones, they are hard on your wrist. The next one I would choose is the spindle nose one with a chuck key.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Seems you have two different taper sizes in the 14 inch.
      Either 1.625 or 2.000" at the gauge line !
      Since you say the spindle bore is 1 5/8, I assume it is the 2.000 number

http://lathe.com/ll-group-archive/sp...nose_data.html

The taper is weird, at .2000 per foot, so you most likely need to go to Logan

Rich
      Green Bay, WI

Comment

Spindle adapter and drawbar = tapered OD bushing with ID to fit 5C. Manual drawbar you twist the handwheel to close the inserted 5C collet.
        Closer = ?

Forgive me, I don't follow what is meant by the latter? Maybe something that mounts on your spindle nose (tapered like D1-_ or threaded like 2.1/4"x_ ) and also uses a manual drawbar?

Comment

On some lathes, using a collet in a taper adapter puts the work too far to the left, such that either the carriage cannot reach without crashing into something (e.g., the leadscrew drive coupling - DAMHIKT), running up onto a big wear step (for a lathe bed worn from chucking work), or hanging into the gap (for gap-bed lathes). Check it out. If a problem for your setup, I'd go with a spindle-mount chuck like a Sjogren, Bison, or a nose-mount closer and drawbar like on many Monarch 10EEs.

Comment

Hi, Sorry, meant collet chuck, like this one:
            https://www.grizzly.com/products/5C-...ck-D1-4/T10459

I'd think something in the spindle would be more accurate, but either much more expensive for a lever type or more work for the hand wheel ones.

Rich

Originally posted by Arthur.Marks View Post
            Spindle adapter and drawbar = tapered OD bushing with ID to fit 5C. Manual drawbar you twist the handwheel to close the inserted 5C collet.
            Closer = ?

Forgive me, I don't follow what is meant by the latter? Maybe something that mounts on your spindle nose (tapered like D1-_ or threaded like 2.1/4"x_ ) and also uses a manual drawbar?

Comment

Sometimes they are called collet chucks. These fit on the spindle like a regular 3 or 4 jaw chuck. They can be found in handwheel, lever, and chuck key configurations.
              Kansas City area

Comment

Working...
              X