Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing the cable on a Acu-rite DRO reader head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing the cable on a Acu-rite DRO reader head?

Greetings all:

Back in '99 I bought a lot of scales & reader heads to (eventually) add a DRO to my CLausing 5914. I realise I could buy a system new but since I have been storing these for year, I figured I might have a go at mounting the scales while the lathe is away from the wall as part of its move across the garage. For the cross slide, I intend to mount a "Acu-rite Mini-Scale". Problem is that the armoured cable is a bit too stiff to make a bend to clear an obstruciton. In my lot of parts I have a minoi-scale reader head with what looks to be a serial connector instead of a round DIN connector (what I have on the display). I also have another cable with the correct DIN plug and a very flexible shield that is much smaller in diameter than the armoured cable. http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...pseq6fohkz.jpg

So is there any reason that I should not replace the cable at the reader head - it looks like a fairly straight forward solder project? Coments; been there, done that, still have the scars replys gladly received.

I just recently repaired a few old scales and did just that.
    Worked fine.
    The armored cables are great if it will be exposed to hot chips though.

Comment

Nothing wrong with doing it as long as you get all the wires connected correctly--anything less and all you'll get is gibberish...
      Keith

Comment

Working...
      X