Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT- Want recommendations for a good quality LED Headlamp...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT- Want recommendations for a good quality LED Headlamp...

Do you have a recommendation for a good quality headlamp. I'd like it to use AA batteries. Below is a typical picture of what I'm looking for...

I have a bunch of headlamps in my flashlight collection. I really like this one for quick jobs. The battery only lasts 2 hours when using the white LED, but that's enough for a lot of things. There is a flip up lens that converts it from a beam (good for seeing across the attic) to a flood (great for seeing a wide area). The red light is low power and will last a long time, OK for walking around.

http://www.rayovac.com/lights/outdoo...headlight.aspx

Another popular choice is the Petzl brand headlamps. Expensive but those with a low power mode will last all day.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

How about one that doesn't look DORKY!
      Is there one that is good that clips on the brim of a baseball cap????
      I bought one, an Energizer brand, was a total piece of crop.

--Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

--Doozer
        I have several of those in my collection too. They all have a similar problem. To look good they have to be small and use expensive flat batteries that don't last long unless they are also very low light output. It takes a reflector or optics to give you any kind of focused beam, and that looks dorky to some. Looks cool to me.

Dan
        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Check Fenix, extremely bright and light.

Fenixlight.com

Comment

SILVA RANGER HEADLAMP, if available in your country.
            "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

I have a Brunton that has two additional compartments on the side of the strap that hold two AA each. Has worked fine.
              Rich

Comment

I have a hat given me by a pump company with 4 LEDs built into the brim, and the batteries are in the band. I also have an Energizer similar to the first one pictured. It worked quite well when I worked 8 hours cutting the ends off of 1/2" SS bolts on a clarifier in a sewage plant starting at midnight.

Comment

LingsFire® Cree XM-L T6 1200LM 3 Mode Zoomable LED Headlamp for Hiking Camping Hunting Night Riding Caving Expedition Powered by 3 x AA Battery (battery not included) (Black)
                  by LingsFire
                  3 customer reviews
                  Try this one from Amazon, 3 A batteries & lots of light for not much $$

List Price: $35.99
                  Price: $16.99 Free Shipping for Prime Members
                  You Save: $19.00 (53%)
                  Only 11 left in stock.
                  Sold by TangsFire and Fulfilled by Amazon. Gift-wrap available.
                  Want it Tuesday, Feb. 17? Order within 20 hrs 21 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
                  Color: Black

Black
                  $16.99

Blue
                  $16.99

Grey
                  $16.99

Red
                  $16.99
                  Cree XM-L T6 1200LM 3 Mode Zoomable LED Headlamp.
                  3 Switch Mode: (High > Low > Strobe).
                  Powered by 3 x AA Battery (Battery not included).
                  Adjustable base is provided for this head lamp.
                  Suitable for hiking, camping, hunting, night riding, caving expedition etc.
                  › See more product details

I carry a $4 cree AA light that works great & foung a headband made for one that works fine. They light isn't centered as it sits abpve your ear.
                  Last edited by flylo; 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM.
                  "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                  world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                  country, in easy stages."
                  ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

--Doozer
                    Are you kidding me Doozer. Anytime you strap a light to yer "Melon", (Baseball caps especially) is if you are a miner or a dork. We arent miners

Just so happens I bought an inexpensive one (Petzl) from amazon. Its ok, not as bright as I would like, but I also didn't buy the one with the extended battery pack. Three AAA batts, one big LED. Two levels of brightness. We shall see, its new, no word yet on likability.. JR
                    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I bought a Coleman headlamp a while ago, and it works well enough, but it has a couple hundred microamps current drain when turned off, so the batteries are always dead when I want to use it after it's been sitting for a few weeks. I've had good luck buying from this Chinese company, but have no experience with their headlamps.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/Led-headlamp.html

This one looks like the Coleman, but it's only $4:

This one is $27:
                      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I'm not a miner, but I work in mines. the whole industry uses Cree LEDs:

this thing illuminates the face of a 1250 foot long tunnel from the portal. I use it as a driving light on my motorcycle, it works better than the bike headlight. It spends most of its time clipped to my T shirt, because I do electronics things in the tunnel. it is much more useful than a headlamp.

works for a whole ten hour shift. internal rechargeable batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post

this thing illuminates the face of a 1250 foot long tunnel from the portal. I use it as a driving light on my motorcycle, it works better than the bike headlight. It spends most of its time clipped to my T shirt, because I do electronics things in the tunnel. it is much more useful than a headlamp.

works for a whole ten hour shift. internal rechargeable batteries.
                          Interesting. What is the digital readout for on this unit? Do you have a link to info on this model?

I have a Black Diamond "Gizmo" unit ( LINK ) that my son got me as a gift. Uses 2 AAA's which are not my favorite for batteries, but is very lightweight and compact and seems to last forever on the lowest setting, while giving decent light on the high setting. Not a long throw light, but a good close-in flood light that is fine for navigating the woods or working on stuff in tight spaces. Inexpensive enough to have a few around as well.

And JR is correct, no avoiding the dork factor. Looking like a dork is just part of getting the job done sometimes...
                          Last edited by alanganes; 02-16-2015, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                            This one is $27:
                            Special "Gyno" model. Comes with 12v car adapter for emergency deliveries.

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post

This thing illuminates the face of a 1250 foot long tunnel from the portal. I use it as a driving light on my motorcycle, it works better than the bike headlight. It spends most of its time clipped to my T shirt, because I do electronics things in the tunnel. it is much more useful than a headlamp.

Works for a whole ten hour shift. internal rechargeable batteries.

What's the cost?
                            Last edited by Rosco-P; 02-16-2015, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Id love to see an LED flashlight that used a single D cell. Or maybe two if it had too.
                              D cell = 16AH. Yes *16*
                              AA cell = 2AH. 1 D cell = 8 AA's!
                              AAA cell = 1AH.

Keep in mind that is at 1.5v, so if comparing against a lipo powered light, the lipo runs around 3.7v, or 2.4X more power per mAH.
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X