machinist or idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machinist or idiot

Was getting some pretty good chatter out of the splines on the mill spindle today. Decided it was about time to send some lube down there. Got some of my duralube and ran some down all the splines. I left it for awhile to let it soak down, then went to do some machining. As soon as I turned it on, I felt something hit my hair. I ducked, but by then whatever lube had not run down flung out and gave me the brylcream treatment I was kind of getting used to the grey, but a little blond doesn't hurt I guess Got rid of the chatter though.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

As soon as I turned it on, I felt something hit my hair.
    I guess a guy can live with a little extra hold on the hair-do, no sense walking around with your do looking too bouffant.

For a few seconds when you mentioned something hitting your hair I thought it was a near miss from the drawbar wrench. Yikes!!!
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Yeah, that would hurt-
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I did sort of the same thing when I cleaned and oiled my lathe chuck. I had lots of extra oil in there I guess because when I turned on the spindle the first time I got a shower of oil all over my face and shirt. My glasses were dripping oil.
        How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Some gurls like the smell of oil and grease, Lot's of them say it reminds them of their fathers - I just leave it at that and go with it - iv learned not to pry too much...

Comment

Well shoot, can't hardly be a machinist and not step in it once in a while.

I remember running the American Hole Wizard radial drill at General Machinery here in Spokane. I didn't run it a lot, consequently when I did, I would almost always forget that the oil that leaked out of the spindle/quill would collect on top of the chuck. If it had been sitting for some time and you went over and spun it up to 600-1000 rpm to center drill some punchmarked holes, off to the washroom I would go to remove the result.

Dave

Comment

I have a terrible tendency to walk down to the office to check the forums in my "good" clothes. Then I decide maybe I could do a little machining since I am down there anyways. Many of my "good" shirts now have cutting oil tracks up the front left side now. My wife is not impressed!!!
              Brian Rupnow

Comment

Machinist or Idiot?

Brings to mind this quote:

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself". -Mark Twain

Perhaps we all have an element of Idiot-Savant...
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Well Sir John hasn't chimed in yet so I will,

Feckin' idjet
                  The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Dullest thing I ever did with grease was a night shift, the greaser was missing in action on a rolling mill, we had a roll change, that's when all the rolls are pulled out and a new set go in to roll tinplate, they have a name for it, coffin rounds, you start rolling narrow, roll wider and wider to maximum then reduce width quickly wile the roll is hot to have the right profile on the sheet, coffin rounds became more apparent, right quick, the old rolls were pulled and you go into the stand to grease the wobble boxes on the mill drive shafts, I made the mistake of hooking the armoured grease line onto the fitting, with the flex behind me, during the greasing the mill is turned over to get the bottom fittings, the mill started the flex tightened round me and then I started getting scared, I was being lashed to the driveshaft by a 1/2 armoured hose, I must have gone round the shaft about 3 or 4 times before someone noticed me upside down tied to an 18" shaft being slowly crushed.
                    I was sure happy when they reversed the mill. I always look at grease lines with trepidation.
                    Silly mistake, fortunately not my last!
                    Mark

Comment

My dad once started to brush his teeth with Brylcream. He also got Asorbine Jr on the wrong part & it turned brown & scrivelled up. He thought it was going to fall off. Suns out, blue sky & -8f cold,cold this morning.
                      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                      country, in easy stages."
                      ~ James Madison

Comment

Hi,

Some days it just goes hand in hand. You would think that I would always be very careful using air to blow the coolant off of the parts I machine. But I must like the taste or something.

Dalee
                        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                          My dad once started to brush his teeth with Brylcream. He also got Asorbine Jr on the wrong part & it turned brown & scrivelled up. He thought it was going to fall off. Suns out, blue sky & -8f cold,cold this morning.
                          Dad brushed his teeth with Poligrip once...said his teeth felt like they were wearing clothes for days.
                          Joe

Comment

When I was just a youngster, I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth, and found a tube of "Palmolive" from which I squeezed a dollop on the toothbrush. When I started brushing, it foamed up and tasted terrible, and I called to my parents, "This toothpaste tastes funny". Turns out it was shaving cream - I didn't read the fine print.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Well, back on a more machining track, I made an end for one of my ice tent poles. They have a 1/4 cross pin. I grabbed a chunk of 4140 tgp I had laying around for the cross pin, brazed it in, dropped it in some water to cool, then went to mill it to length. Not gonna happen. The endmill took off the excess braze just fine, but it was not gonna touch that pin.

Fortunately, there are grinders.

Comment

Working...
                              X