This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Do you vaccine?

Seems to be quite the talk about vaccines lately. I won't start off by saying if I am for it or not in hopes not to sway the direction of the thread. I am just curious what the brains here have to say about vaccines. Do you vaccinate? Do you not vaccinate? Why, why not, is it good?
    Andy

Yes, my kid got vaccinated. I'm a doctor and a scientist. The science is overwhelmingly in favor of vaccinations. Vaccinations don't cause autism. Yes, there can be complications from vaccinations. They are rare and mostly not serious. Occasionally, kids die from it. But if we don't vaccinate the vast majority of the population, lots and lots and lots more will be damaged or die from infectious disease.

It's simple and overwhelming math. I don't get why it's controversial.

doug

Comment

I hope this thread will stay non-political for long enough to get some sensible contributions.
      As a father of two small kids I don't understand why someone would intentionally risk them dying or suffering a disease like polio. I guess nowadays most people have never seen the results of these diseases and figure they don't need it.
      Unfortunately this is a slow darwinian effect, it only kills the kids of people choosing not to vaccinate and not the parents themselves.

I live in the bible belt in the netherlands and we had a small measles outbreak a while ago. 180 kids were hospitalised, but thanks to modern medicine only one died. This unfortunately reinforces their idea they don't need the vaccines to stay alive. Well, until we get a polio outbreak, that wouldn't be pretty.

People claim it's their own choice to not vaccinate, but they then take their kids to the same daycare where 3 month old kids go who havent had all their shots yet. It's irresponsible in my view.

It once again shows ignorance is not bliss, it's outight dangerous for society.

Igor

Comment

All machines get a good vaccine of Kroil. But to the question I think all kids were vaccinated when I grew up as well as my sons now 24 & 28 with no ill effects. Rotary has been trying to erraticate polio for 30 years & still hasn't. Some Amish had an outbreak in Minnisota about 5 years ago. I think the risk of getting diesese far outway the risk of the vaccine IMHO.

Comment

I know a couple who always seemed to march to the beat of a different drummer. They went vegetarian like 35 years ago, long before it was mainstream like it is today. They also chose not to vaccinate their kids or send them to school. (home schoolers) Eventually they wanted to send the oldest one to school and they wouldn't take the child because of no immunizations. They relented and got them vaccinated. The kids are all adults now and as normal as anyone.

For the life of me I can't figure out why some people won't vaccinate their children.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I personally won't get a flu shot, or any other vaccine. I never had kids, but if I did, I would take a serious look at the situation. One thing I do know, I would never let my kid get the "cocktail" of numerous hits at one time. They would be spaced out. Since this whole subject became the hot topic of late, a local doctor got on the radio and said in one of the major school districts/counties, a child would get over 40 doses of vaccine for I think 14 different diseases in the course of growing up. that is amazing.

I will say this, this subject can be VERY opinionated, VERY arguementative.

Comment

Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
              Yes, my kid got vaccinated. I'm a doctor and a scientist. The science is overwhelmingly in favor of vaccinations. Vaccinations don't cause autism. Yes, there can be complications from vaccinations. They are rare and mostly not serious. Occasionally, kids die from it. But if we don't vaccinate the vast majority of the population, lots and lots and lots more will be damaged or die from infectious disease.

It's simple and overwhelming math. I don't get why it's controversial.

doug
              Absolutely.

The average life span and quality of life has, by and large, been improving thanks to advances in medicine, including vaccines. There is no science that supports the decision not vaccinate your children and a wealth of scientific evidence that suggests you ABSOLUTELY should vaccinate.

For a less scientific read, check out this article written by someone who grew up without vaccines. It is well written and quite rational. I encourage anyone who is interested in the topic to spend 10 minutes and read it.

http://www.voicesforvaccines.org/gro...-unvaccinated/

Comment

I've had friends and colleagues who were survivors of polio and foetal rubella. My kids were vaccinated in childhood (as was I).

George

Comment

My wife vaccinates all our horses, dogs and cats. Me she thinks she can replace easily so its not worth the money!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                    Absolutely.

The average life span and quality of life has, by and large, been improving thanks to advances in medicine, including vaccines. There is no science that supports the decision not vaccinate your children and a wealth of scientific evidence that suggests you ABSOLUTELY should vaccinate.

For a less scientific read, check out this article written by someone who grew up without vaccines. It is well written and quite rational. I encourage anyone who is interested in the topic to spend 10 minutes and read it.

Good read! I fly with a friend from South Africa who claims his grandmother made him eat a spoonful of dirt daily to built him imunity. I'd take the vaccine over daily dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
                      Unfortunately this is a slow darwinian effect, it only kills the kids of people choosing not to vaccinate and not the parents themselves.

Igor
                      Not quite true - measles and many other vaccines can't be given until you are a year old, so it can affect the rest of the "new generation" badly.

I don't buy the "it's my choice" argument. It should be mandatory for "certain" contagious diseases if you want to live IN society. In any group, you have certain rules to obey (many...). Fine, choose not to live with the rest of us and move to a special place we'll set up on say Bikini Atoll. Oh wait, we don't "own" that - how about the center of Nevada or Hanford

It's bit tricky though.. what do you vaccinate for? We don't routinely vaccinate for Tuberculosis any more, but was still pretty bad when I was a kid. If it did resurface in the general population, it would be nasty - today's bad stains are antibiotic resistant. Then we'd get into the "who sets the rules" for what's in and out?

I had many of the childhood diseases - pre vaccination availability - and polio was rampant when I was young. I survived, but not all did. My mother lost two sisters to scarlet fever, and there were several other child deaths in the extended family. .
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 02-15-2015, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I was told not to get the flu vaccine after getting an aftermarket liver. I am on immune suppressant drugs for the remainder of my life. I have gotten some kind of nose running and some times chest congestion usually during winter but no serious sickness. Hope it is not just luck that spares me real illness.
                        I think the biggest issue with vaccines is they are mostly made outside the US and quality control has lacked in production or shipping processes. Regulation has made in country testing and production of vaccines costly to the point most have either gone over seas or cease to involve it the making of them. People are wary after it has been shown some vaccines are of lesser quality. And claims of asthma or other conditions from vaccines has not helped. One of the recent flu vaccines proved to be ineffective for the strain it was engineered against.
                        When ADA is in full control of the med system one will not easily be able to sue for injuries from medical issues. It is rare that judgments are won against government. At least not with out very high expenditures and investment in time.
                        Last edited by krutch; 02-15-2015, 12:26 PM.
                        Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
                          Absolutely.

The average life span and quality of life has, by and large, been improving thanks to advances in medicine, including vaccines.

Actually average life span and quality of life has experienced a much greater improvement thanks to engineering - mainly water supply and sanitation.
                          "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

Look at the family plots in any old cemetary and before 1950 or so you will find many more headstones for children,I think that says it all.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

We actually have some headstones around here that state "killed by indians"

Comment

Working...
                              X