Can somebody say me why…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody say me why…

As I'm interested by finding a simple Starrett 284 Acme Standard Screw Thread Gauge, it's impossible to find US sellers which ask less than 20$ postage fees for this single item, do american sellers don't want to sell overseas or it is a problem with the post.

For sending similar item to USA from Switzerland, the cost is about 6£ ???

I think it is a problem with the post - they don't seem to have a small packet rate.
    "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel"

Comment

It probably comes from the USPS standard small 'fixed rate' package postage prices. That covers everything from a few grammes to a few pounds! It's worked well for me for a few packages, but it might seem expensive for low weight items. I've had 10 x 50mm glass mirrors; 3 x 16 oz bottles of Cannode spotting dye and 1400g of castings each for about $24.
      Last edited by Mark Rand; 02-21-2015, 09:10 PM.
      Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

If you are dealing with eBay, the situation is different than it was two years ago. Except for items going to Canada eBay now relies exclusively on FedEx for their International Shipping Program, which is available to USA sellers. It opens up a risk-free world market for the sellers, who now do not have to worry about the shipping details. eBay handles the necessary customs forms, and all the other details.

The American seller does not see the final address, just ships the auction item to Kentucky (FedEx HQ), where it gets additional documentation for the overseas destination. The seller does not know the buyer's total postal charge, and is responsible only for the USPS cost of postage to Kentucky.

So the overseas buyer is going to see a much higher postal charge than the USA seller.

FedEx is fast, but it ain't cheap.
        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

That turns the light on for me also.
          I am interested in a replacement head for the fish finder in my boat.
          It can be had for about $40 US on ebay.
          The shipping cost listed is $60 US which is absolutely ridiculous to ship something that might weigh about 2 or 3 lbs to Canada.
          I sent an inquiry to the seller to see if he can come up with a better rate, but from what I see here he probably wonders what I am talking about.
          Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

I can't count the number of times I have bought something on ebay, paid a largish shipping charge and had the small item come in a huge box packed full of newspaper
            Pure seller laziness afaic
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/csprecision

Comment

First, one needs to stay on top of what USPS does regarding sizes and costs of various boxes as it certainly appears as if SOME Ebay sellers are just randomly picking dollar amounts for sending via USPS to Canada, there very often appears to be no relationship between the cost and the size of the item.

USPS website seven flat rate boxes, two "express"($66.95), two large ($55.75), two medium ($42.25) (same size as express boxes) and one small box ($20.55).
              Max weight of 20lbs, max dollar in small box of $400US
              Additionally and something even fewer sellers will do is ship a random size box (to Canada max length of 79", length plus girth max of 108", max of 70lbs) that is based, after size, on weight (calculation just completed puts a 65 lb box within the size limit at $192). There are also many sizes of padded envelops, did not check on those. It is not that it can not be done, its that most sellers do not want the extra hassle. I suspect in the case of the OP, that gauge could easily be sent in a cheaper DVD size padded envelop.
              The current costs are considerably more than the last time I actively was buying on EBay, the small has changed little but the large is about 20% more.
              Some sellers are not making it easy for the buyer as I have found the percentage using "express" has gone up and the click on option will not change unless the seller is contacted (so an extra step, though that could easily be the EBay side of things not the sellers directly)

Found the info about much being FedEx of interest because some sellers are only willing to ship through "Global" which, based on earlier post, I assume is FedEx.
              As with UPS and though one can act as their own customs agent (according to latest I have from Canadian side of the border, regardless of what some sellers seem to imply), "Global" has a fee for customs and duties ("you will not pay more on receiving delivery") plus a fee for shipping and there appears to be no way around the fee for customs (which does not always get charged when using USPS).
              Again, last time I was buying a fair bit on EBay, the cost for USPS was considerably lower than "Global", at this point, based on checking similar items, the "Global" costs are generally less so something has changed.

As an aside, last time I looked Canada Post will sell you a fancy box, not sure how many sizes are offered but you getting charged for all based on weight, size and distances plus more for various levels of insurance (there maybe an automatic base of $100 included with any shipping, there was at one point).
              Last edited by RussZHC; 02-21-2015, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Okapi View Post
                As I'm interested by finding a simple Starrett 284 Acme Standard Screw Thread Gauge, it's impossible to find US sellers which ask less than 20$ postage fees for this single item, do american sellers don't want to sell overseas or it is a problem with the post.

For sending similar item to USA from Switzerland, the cost is about 6£ ???
                Why the need for Starrett?

Why not a European (German?)-made item as the OP is in Switzerland?

I'd be very surprised if Black Forest (member here in Germany) could not source a really good better priced item that will be at least as good if not better.

Try:
                https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ss...w+Thread+Gauge
                Last edited by oldtiffie; 02-22-2015, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all replies, I was just astonished principally because when I send to USA Ifanger blades or cutting ends, which can be send in a letter less than 20mm. thickness, and for the same weight, the cost is as said less than $10.

@oldtiffie, I use this n°284 Starrett tool for optically controlling my cutters to repair trapezoidal threads when repairing lathes or milling machines during the grinding process with a cylindrical base, and its nobody making that(or I've not found) with that profile, long and thin, my other gauges have the measuring spaces on sides, it's clear that making myself a new one is not a problem for more than 20 minutes, but I like Starrett tools.

I like to use another tool from Starrett for sharpening edges which is the same we have to make when was an apprentice, mine is as new in the box I put it 35 years ago…

Comment

Some of the smaller individual sellers jack up the shipping and handling fees as a profit center. E bay does not charge commission on S & H fees or did not the last time I sold any thing on the site. Just another way to make a buck, I always factor in the shipping cost in my bids and purchases because that is the total cost to the door.
                    Overseas mailing can be expensive, I sent someone some excess delrin that I had, it was sent to England. The postage was 4 times what the same package was sent across the US. The custom forms are not a biggie, it is simple to fill out, the real problem is the value you place on the items for the person that you are sending the item to.

Comment

Sometimes a person from Canada or overseas will ask a shipping cost. This requires a trip to the USPS during business hours, waiting in line, telling the clerk that "no" I don't want to ship the item I just want a price and the necessary forms that must be filled out. Then notify the buyer, that argues that the shipping price is high and they then may not buy the item.
                      For US shipping the post office lobby is open 24 hours. There is a machine there with a touch screen where the US address is input. A credit card for payment and the postage and receipt are printed. There is a bin the package is dropped in. 1-2 minutes maximum.
                      Last edited by Ridgerunner; 02-22-2015, 06:04 AM. Reason: few words for clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                        For US shipping the post office lobby is open 24 hours. There is a machine there with a touch screen where the US address is input. A credit card for payment and the postage and receipt are printed. There is a bin the package is dropped in. 1-2 minutes maximum.
                        Those machines need to be in every PO. The town I live in and the county seat does not have one of those machines. I have used those machines that was in a PO in one of the cites I lived in and it is convenient.

Comment

I have experienced the opposite problem: several bicycle parts companies in Britain/UK have reached a large US customer base by offering "free shipping" and prices that not
                          unusually are LOWER than US prices. OTOH, I was going to order some unique items from ArcEuro Trade and on an item weighing <500 grams the shipping was ~$30 on an
                          item costing ~$50.
                          Steve

Comment

I recently purchased replacement parts for a small model airplane engine direct from the manufacturer (Enya) in Japan. They shipped the parts in a small padded envelope via Japanese Registered Air Mail and it cost a whopping $6.00 USD for shipping. A lot of distributors see shipping as a profit center.
                            Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                            Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

The American seller does not see the final address, just ships the auction item to Kentucky (FedEx HQ), where it gets additional documentation for the overseas destination. The seller does not know the buyer's total postal charge, and is responsible only for the USPS cost of postage to Kentucky.

Did you mean to say Memphis, TN? That is the HQ of FedEx, ..... unless it has moved recently.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X