Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I properly I.D. South Bend 9" change gears ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I properly I.D. South Bend 9" change gears ?

I've been seeing more and more members needing what I think I have. Years ago we cleaned out a retired shop. In it were six 9 inch South Bends. I remember listing them for sale by s/n and distinctly recall two had since been updated with QCGB at a later date in their life. Needless to say a whole box of miscellaneous stuff slowly filtered down to the stuff you just can't toss. I believe I have the gears that originally go to a 9 inch SB but other than tooth count,overall diameter and width, how do I come up with a true definition so I can list them for sale? I want to avoid someone erroneously discovering that they go to an Atlas or Logan or something. What considered a set anyway?
    thanks, Mike
    Bricolage anyone?....one of lifes fun games.

Tell us the diameter in inches and tooth count of the largest gear so that the DP can be calculated, measure the diameter of the central hole (inches)and nature of keyway if there is one. Finally list the thickness. Probably not necessary to tell and American to use inches but in the UK there is an annoying number of people who list old obviously imperial equipment in millimeters.
    When you do list them do put in the numbers of the teeth and the DP and dimensions. Again I get annoyed by the number of lazy people who can't be bothered to give the details and just slap a rule down in the general vicinity of the photo with no thought of focus, alignment or parallax.

Comment

South bend 9" workshop and 10K gears are 3/8 thick, 18DP, 9/16 bore. The 9 Jr and double tumbler 10L are 1/2 thick, 16DP, 5/8 bore. Small Logan gears are similar to the latter, but 7/16 thick.

allan

Comment

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
        South bend 9" workshop and 10K gears are 3/8 thick, 18DP, 9/16 bore. The 9 Jr and double tumbler 10L are 1/2 thick, 16DP, 5/8 bore. Small Logan gears are similar to the latter, but 7/16 thick.

allan
        Maybe so, but I had to make a gear for a 9" Junior, and it sure wasn't 16DP, I used an 18 or 20 DP cutter, and the gear meshed with all the others.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Does anyone know what is considered a "set" ?

Comment

OK . They appear to be SB 9/10K as they are 3/8 wide witha a 9/16 bore. The 100 tooth gears are 4.551 in Dia. There are (2)one with clear hole and hub, the other witha keyed hole. Other gears I have are the (2) 100s, an 80,60, (2) 56s, 54, 52, 48, 46, 44, 40, 36, &(2) 32s. anybody know if I have them all?

Comment

Originally posted by oddball racing View Post
              ... anybody know if I have them all?
              Download this manual and see page 12...

http://www.bbssystem.com/manuals/South_Bend_9_lathe.pdf

Comment

The 9C set for the majority of its life was 16, 24, 32, 32, 36, 40, 44, 46, 48, 52, 54, 56, 60, 80, plus an 80 tooth smooth bore idler and one or both of a 18/72 and 18/54 compound. The really early machines came with larger gears sometimes, like a 100 or 105.

allan

Comment

Almost perfect description. The SBs also have a 1/8" keyway and no hub.

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post

allan
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                  X