EBay costs to seller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBay costs to seller

I just sold a 14 X 54 Hendey lathe for $2500 and EBay charged $250 or 10% and Paypal charged $72.50. I guess it has been awhile since I sold on EBay, but I thought they would have a sliding scale for a lower percentage for more expensive items. There I go thinking again!
    DickW

That probably changed when they eliminated the listing fee and the auction ending fee (sold or not?). Yes, 10% gets a little steep on big money items.

What did you replace the Hendey with? Was the Hendey a conehead tie-bar or geared head, 12 or 18 speed?
    Last edited by Rosco-P; 02-22-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

that's how it used to be, but now it's all about power sellers and volume. I'm guessing eBay wanted to get away from people selling ones and twos to become a more "Amazon" like shopping experience. More the shame, but it's their business. I rarely sell on there anymore and only if I can't sell locally, as the fees eat up any difference I might make with a bigger audience.

Congrats on selling your lathe though!

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
        that's how it used to be, but now it's all about power sellers and volume. I'm guessing eBay wanted to get away from people selling ones and twos to become a more "Amazon" like shopping experience. More the shame, but it's their business. I rarely sell on there anymore and only if I can't sell locally, as the fees eat up any difference I might make with a bigger audience.

Congrats on selling your lathe though!
        Bingo!
        +1 to the above. They want you to have a "store", to be known for carrrying a certain line of merchandise. Kind of tough if you are an Antiques dealer.

Comment

They take 10% of the shipping also. They implemented that when they did away with the listing fees.
          There aren't many deals on ebay any more.

JL...............

Comment

Does anybody know of any other online auction sites? I loved ebay from the mid90s into the early 2000s when the deals were still plentiful, but since the prices and popularity have skyrocketed I typically avoid it. SWMBO and my mother still buy and sell on ebay quite a bit but theyve both gotten burned selling as shady buyers will make false claims to get money back and the sellers lose out 99.9% of the time. I remember back in the day yahoo(?) had their own auction site and a few others, but am unfamiliar with what exists for smaller individual sales today other than the large government/business auction sites.
            "I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

I agree. It is completely ridiculous and a huge money grab.

Comment

I don't think there is much out there as far as auction sites. If there is I doubt you'll find much listed on them especially in the line of machine tool stuff.
                Ebay has it all locked up and they rob you pretty good. Most of the tooling and machine related stuff I see listed can be bought new from a catalog or dealer for the same price or sometimes even less.

JL...............

Comment

Ebay also now sets the price.

Example I found a decent old round bed Drummond lathe at the scrap yard going for an absolute pittance, bought it home, plugged it in and it ran so went on Ebay to see how much these lathes were selling for and found a few that made £85 which sounded about right.

So listed this at a start price of £75, let the auction run and it sold for , you have guessed it, £85

Out of interest did a search and any Drummond listed at over £85 didn't sell.

I reckon all serious sellers now do this same search

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I don't have any problem paying the seller fees.

If you just want to sell "locally" for no fee, put the item on Craigslist. If you want nationwide (or even global) reach, 10% is cheap, especially as you only pay IF it sells. Try ANY other means of advertising for the same $ or "I'll pay you if it sells".

Comment

I have a few items on E-Bay and sales are slow. True, they do not charge any listing fees, but their percentage of the sale price forces me to keep the prices fairly high. The trouble is, I have looked into other ways of selling and they are equally intimidating. If I want to set up my own site, the hosting fees are the least of the problems. I would need some kind of sales software AND some way of accepting credit cards for payment. I could rely on PayPal, but that would limit sales too. I looked into setting up for credit cards but, guess what. They want real money too. I looked into selling on Amazon, but they are even worse than E-Bay.

The system simply favors large sellers, like Amazon and Wal-Mart.

And it is not just the sales, the shipping is slanted too. Big companies and even some medium sized ones can negotiate for better shipping rates. The savings can be substantial. This is somewhat justified by the drivers making just one stop to fill up a truck on the shipping end. For the small guy, they have to drive all around town for a truck full or perhaps just half full. More gas. More time. It does cost more. But the result is the big guys have the advantage.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

What can I tell you? Size does matter!
                        John Burchett
                        in Byng OK

Comment

If you really need to use it - then pay the costs.

If you really don't like the costs etc. then don't use it.

Same as any commercial decision.

I can't see that complaining for the sake of it does any good whereas realistic comment may well benefit many here.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            I have a few items on E-Bay and sales are slow. True, they do not charge any listing fees, but their percentage of the sale price forces me to keep the prices fairly high. The trouble is, I have looked into other ways of selling and they are equally intimidating. If I want to set up my own site, the hosting fees are the least of the problems. I would need some kind of sales software AND some way of accepting credit cards for payment. I could rely on PayPal, but that would limit sales too. I looked into setting up for credit cards but, guess what. They want real money too.
                            Paul, you can use Paypal to accept credit cards and only pay a small percentage to Paypal, far less than the CC companies.
                            You buy a card reader off them, in the UK it costs £49.00 and then you download an app for your phone.
                            Some one rings up and wants to pay by CC. you take their details, process it thought the machine and the funds are then taken from their CC and put into your Paypal account less 2.75%

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mp...se-paypal-here

This might have a different slant to how it works in the US as we use chip and PIN in the UK but you get the gist.

Certainly a lot less hassle.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

What did you replace the Hendey with? Was the Hendey a conehead tie-bar or geared head, 12 or 18 speed?

It was a 14 X 54 built in 1945, serial number in the 38000 range with lots of accessories and tooling. A guy bought it who used identical ones in the Navy in the early 50s.

Comment

Working...
                              X