Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh Oh... My beer tap handle ferrule guy passed away.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh Oh... My beer tap handle ferrule guy passed away.

I was buying beer tap handle ferrules from a guy out East. I tried to order another 100, and his wife emailed back saying her husband had passed away.

So, if it's OK to post such things here...

Is anybody here interested in making some for me? I was paying $1.00 ea. for 100 at a time, so I'm guessing they were made on a CNC machine.

Here's a link to some pictures of them.
    http://s872.photobucket.com/user/chr...num%20Ferrules

Here's what I know about them:

The material is 6061 T6 Aluminum
    1" long
    0.85" Dia at the big end
    0.65" Dia at the small end
    They're drilled clear through the 1" length
    The big end has about 5/16" worth of 5/16 NC threads
    The small end has about 11/16 worth of 3/8" NC threads
    They were not anodized

I have a manual metal lathe, but haven't gotten it set up yet 'cause I'm still on crutches, which makes it tricky to even get my "normal" stuff done.

Any interest?
    Thanks,
    Chris

I wouldnt touch them for a buck a piece...
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

I donno, material costs alone would be 45-50 cents each.

Turn a taper, drill, two different threads, for another 50 cents.....seriously?
      Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

Originally posted by chrisinestes View Post
        Any interest?
        Thanks,
        Chris
        Sorry to hear about the guy passing on.. Those might be very hard to get done for that price. Either someone that has a full on automatic with bar pusher/puller, dual spindle. They prolly wouldn't even want to load up the bar puller for a 100 bucks, actually half if the cost of materials is as high as what was said... Or someone like myself with a simple cnc (emco 120) that would have to do a lot of handling of each part. But you never know and its worth asking..

If you dont get any bites here dont forget to ask over at the cnczone.com. Many machines there that could handle it.. Good luck, JR
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I'm not offering to do it, mind you, but even as a manual job it could be set up expeditiously.

For instance:
          1. Drill 1-1/4" deep for 5/16" tap
          2.Drill 1/2" deep for 3/8" tap.
          3. Tap 5/16 (far end of hole)
          4. Tap 3/8 half way
          5. Part off
          When you've parted off the lot,
          6. mount arbor with 3/8 thread, screw blank onto arbor and turn OD to required taper
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
            I'm not offering to do it, mind you, but even as a manual job it could be set up expeditiously.

For instance:
            4. Tap 3/8 half way
            5. Part off
            6. mount arbor with 3/8 thread, screw blank onto arbor and turn OD to required taper
            Yer getting some good ideas. The material is actually 27 bucks +tax. Thats looking at enco's 7/8" 6061 rod with a modest 15% off plus free shipping. I can actually get aluminum for less locally with ISM, also free shipping.

That is still having to handle the parts a few times. And without a proper turret lathe it would not be fun. With a turret you could prolly bump out one every minute, maybe. You forgot a step, deburr. You will have a burr, it needs to go, more time for the back side burr.

Now the taper. I like yer idea of a threaded mount, you cant include that in the pricing, we own our tooling that we make right But that process of threading each one on and working it will take a minute.

Looks like 200 minutes MINIMUM if done manually. My time, as most folks time is worth a MINIMUM of $50 an hour. 200 minutes is $166........ At $25 an hour you make $83..... Tack on the $27 bucks for aluminum and we are IN THE RED BABY!!!! LOL Not to mention electricity, and rent..

No wonder machinist are a dieing breed, no one wants to pay the $100 an hour that is needed. JR FYI?? My math might be off..
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post

For instance:
              4. Tap 3/8 half way
              5. Part off
              I'd follow these steps up to # 4.
              Pull compound screw, set up a lever to operate compound for turning the taper, and mount parting tool on rear of cross slide. A turret in the tailstock and you'd be able to work fast.

Comment

Not to try to make a joke out of a guy passing on but at that price he probably died of starvation. He could not afford to eat. :-(
                Dave

Comment

Sorry for your loss, what ever it might have been. I guess.

Comment

Oh come on, he said the guy probably had a CNC. That means he could be finished within the hour (or five minutes if he has a bar feeder and one of those vibrating tubs to deburr)
                    Making 75 dollars in an hour or better is good beer money in my book. Don't complain you can't match the speed on a manual lathe.

Igor

Comment

Had to be cnc, there is no way to do it by hand for that price.

Chris, you will be ending up farming out this to another cnc job shop, Figure $100-200 initial program fee and then your parts on top of that.

Comment

Check your inbox for a PM.
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Quick look at 7/8 AL from ENCO; 72 inches long: $27 you would need two + $10 shipping = $64 (I always look at material costs from the standpoint of what I can get it for now, not waiting for an ENCO deal or sourcing on EBay)

Figure drills taps etc. another $25 (2x drills, 2x taps)

So you’re already at $89

Just based on material and tooling costs, you’re at 10 cents apiece.

Deburr/polish???

Elec?

Machine time? The time the machine is busy doing this job vies a more profitable job.
                          If there is someone willing to do this for $1. ea. Please PM me, I can have a lot of work for you… Seriously.

Mike
                          Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

As a point of reference, you can buy chromed brass ones for $3 retail. Given that, yeah, I can see $1 wholesale happening for someone tooled up to make them effectively.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draft...e_ferrule.html

Comment

It's a turret lathe job.
                              feed to stop.
                              center
                              drill large diameter
                              Drill small diameter
                              tap large diameter
                              tap small diameter
                              form taper-it's one inch so a flat tool at an angle
                              cut off.

Comment

Working...
                              X