Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why aren't these guys dead by the end of the video? - Open Magnetron Tube

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Why aren't these guys dead by the end of the video? - Open Magnetron Tube

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POGSEG20hkg

    I stumbled onto this by accident but why aren't these guys dead? The microwave radiation has to be spreading all the over the room. There's a loose shield around the sides but it clearly lights a florescent bulb in the cone pattern. The guy is placing different articles near or on the tip and even melting glass. All with bare hands. And what is causing the flame at the tip? Partial plasma?

    They're not speaking English so I guess the comments didn't make sense to them.

  • #2
    Microwaves are mostly harmless under those conditions. Things change when the microwaves are contained inside a chamber because of proximity and reflections. The MW energy is contained and absorbed by certain materials in the chamber. Water being an excellent example. Standing in a radar beam can, if you are close enough, warm your eyeballs to an unhealthy level. It has to be a hell of a lot more powerful than the kinds of radar you find at the local yacht club. These kids are in more danger from electrocution than microwave damage. Unless they try to warm their hands by holding them close to the radiator. That can create sudden heating.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yep, the most you would get is cataracts from long term exposure to microwaves. This is not ionizing radiation.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well cripes! Apparently, I've been mislead all these years. Why were they scaring everybody 30 or 40 years ago into buying those MW detectors to check for "bad seals" and leaking MW radiation? They made it sound like it would cook your brain and your face would fall off. They must have sold millions of them. At the time, I made my own from a small diode. It was publicized about as heavily as "Don't smoke or you'll die". And now we're finding out that you need fat cholesterols to be healthy. Coffee is bad, coffee is good. Chocolate is bad, chocolate is good. Seems like everything changes from one year to the next.

        Oh well. I guess the longer you live the deader you get and there's no way around it. Thanks for bringing me up to date.

        Comment


        • #5
          " They must have sold millions of them."


          Yeah...that.


          Hey, microwaves are new. Let's tell people it's super dangerous and then make a killing on the magic detectors...


          I think the russians make a handy little hand held microwave emitter to kill people without leaving an obvious mark. Push it up against the guy's head and push the button. Cook a nice chunk of his brain and then walk off. No sound, no muss, no fuss.


          doug

          Comment


          • #6
            Those things exist because there ARE legal limits on the radiation from a microwave oven. If you worked in a restaurant and ran one with the door open every day, standing right in front, you would *probably get some damage* to your body.

            The unit would be cheaper with no door and no interlocks, so that's how they would be made if there were no limits.

            Somewhere between that and zero was established as the limit for allowable leakage from a device that is used by nearly everyone every day, AND can obviously damage people, since it cooks food.

            Rather than trying to establish just how much "cooking" of the user was OK vs too much, the limits were made well below that kind of level. And so the detectors are made to find that level.

            Marketing them to consumers is probably pure money-making hype, having the limits and detectors exist is not.
            1601

            Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by michigan doug View Post
              " They must have sold millions of them."


              Yeah...that.


              Hey, microwaves are new. Let's tell people it's super dangerous and then make a killing on the magic detectors...


              I think the russians make a handy little hand held microwave emitter to kill people without leaving an obvious mark. Push it up against the guy's head and push the button. Cook a nice chunk of his brain and then walk off. No sound, no muss, no fuss.


              doug

              that could explain the condition we see a lot of in this world. . . . . .��

              Comment


              • #8
                When I was in the Navy, working on airborne search radar, we would occasionally place a hand over the end of the waveguide to see if the radar was transmitting. Only felt a gentle warming, but I didn't chance it by leaving my hand there very long.

                Forty years later my hands are OK, but some of my other parts...
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                  When I was in the Navy, working on airborne search radar, we would occasionally place a hand over the end of the waveguide to see if the radar was transmitting. Only felt a gentle warming, but I didn't chance it by leaving my hand there very long.

                  Forty years later my hands are OK, but some of my other parts...
                  We were on a tug made up alongside a visiting French destroyer.
                  A Chief was standing next to the wheel house and started to convulse, the glasses seemed to blow off his face and he fell in a heap on the deck.
                  The explanation that came down was the destroyer forgot to turn off their radar and par-boiled the poor SOB.
                  I dunno, I was an Engineman.
                  Len

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                    We were on a tug made up alongside a visiting French destroyer.
                    A Chief was standing next to the wheel house and started to convulse, the glasses seemed to blow off his face and he fell in a heap on the deck.
                    The explanation that came down was the destroyer forgot to turn off their radar and par-boiled the poor SOB.
                    I dunno, I was an Engineman.
                    French fried?
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      From the limited speech ?Russian, certainly outside N America which too some extent explains the videos lack of attention to any gesture towards safety precautions verbally
                      or in the vid. The potato reminded me of an episode in 1972 when microwave ovens were rare. A nurses aide was attempting to reheat a foil wrapped potato and it came to
                      my attention when I saw smoke pouring out into the hallway through the top of the door. Inside the minikitchen was a layer of smoke 2 feet deep at the ceiling and the aide
                      punching another heat cycle into the microwave. When I pulled the foil wrapped former potato out it was glowing like a charcoal bricket and the non-glowing part was
                      completely carbonized.
                      Steve

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Weston Bye View Post
                        French fried?
                        I'm so embarrassed I didn't think of that.
                        Len

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Magnetrons can be deadly. Mainly the metal bodied type, very high power. The metal body emits xray radiation. I was also in the Navy. We had some very high power mags and klystrons. The klystrons were even more of a danger from xray energy. Interlocks all over the cabinet to prevent accidental exposure. Although there was some preventative maintenance that required us to take voltage readings with the 50kv applied. But no HF so no xrays. Fun job. I sill have some large magnets from dead magnetrons. JR
                          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

                          https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                            Well cripes! Apparently, I've been mislead all these years. Why were they scaring everybody 30 or 40 years ago into buying those MW detectors to check for "bad seals" and leaking MW radiation? They made it sound like it would cook your brain and your face would fall off. They must have sold millions of them. At the time, I made my own from a small diode. It was publicized about as heavily as "Don't smoke or you'll die". And now we're finding out that you need fat cholesterols to be healthy. Coffee is bad, coffee is good. Chocolate is bad, chocolate is good. Seems like everything changes from one year to the next.

                            Oh well. I guess the longer you live the deader you get and there's no way around it. Thanks for bringing me up to date.
                            Pacemakers?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Dead? NO.

                              Able to reproduce? Well, ????????? I don't know.

                              When I was in the Army, there were stories of servicemen walking into the beams of high powered radar for birth control. Darwin had it right.

                              I worked with high powered klystrons for a number of years in my career: 25 to 35 KW size. About as tall as I am. They were fairly safe because they were wrapped in enough steel and copper and a water cooling jacket that no X-ray had a chance of getting out. The smaller ones were probably more dangerous, but not excessively so. The warning signs were probably more to ward off law suits. But I DO NOT recommend playing with them, large or small, unless you know exactly what you are doing. Same for magnetrons.

                              As for the damage from microwave ovens, yes it is real. It cooks your food. It WILL cook you; from the inside out. Kind of like opening your skull and sticking your brain in the oven. All parts of your body that are exposed to it will get hot. Not radioactive hot, just plain elevated temperature hot. You will cook, not glow. It's the same danger as a conventional gas or electric oven, but you don't have to stick your head or arm into it for it to happen. The radiation can bounce around the room.

                              I am sure the standards for allowable microwave radiation are very, very conservative. Neither the government nor the manufacturers want even one incident of harm from a microwave oven. And they probably have a better safety record than conventional ovens.
                              Paul A.
                              SE Texas

                              Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X