E-Clip insertion tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Clip insertion tool

Who has one, what does it look like, and how well does it work? An e-clip is an external retaining ring that snaps into a groove around a shaft and does not have the little holes that snap rings have for snap ring pliers. I went to my local "nuts and bolts" place and asked about e-clip insertion tools, to work with 1/8" and 3/16" and 1/4" shafts/e-clips. The e-clips are fairly inexpensive, but each different size requires a different size of insertion tool and they cost $57 each. Is the insertion tool something I could make, or does it have a tiny, tiny, slot that the e-clip fits into---if so I couldn't machine that.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Sorry, it has to be made in a factory.

-D
    DZER

Comment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEIKO-E-clip...item2a4be2ff3a

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

JRouche--That's a great price!! Unfortunately it doesn't do 1/8" and 3/16" shaft sizes.---Brian
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Would have suggested a tool made by Milbar, it's what I use, but they are out of biz. Thought about Jensen Tools, no good, they've been bought by Stanley.

Did find this: http://www.duratrax.com/accessories/tools/dtxr1107.html but it's all metric.

Comment

RoscoP---Yes, I found that tool as well, and it looks like it would be great, except for the fact that it is all metric. I have been searching for an hour and I can't find anyone who sells a tool like that in imperial fractional inch sizes.
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

I have always used needle nose pliers, one size fits all
              Cheers,
              Jon

Comment

A hemostat works great and fits all the normal sizes. Thin the nose on a grinder if need be.

RWO

Comment

I manage to loose 35mm circlips, e clips are making a nest somewhere, ping oh **** clips are the new official designation, they have other less eloquent names too
                  Mark

Comment

I guess I've always been lucky - no special tool required. But now I know, nothing will ever go on again. lol.

Comment

McMaster Carr has them for about $25. Like others I use needle nose pliers, most often I just put them on by hand. Modern clock movements use a lot of pretty small ones.

Comment

Here's a link to one similar to the one I use, mine is a Williams but I can't find anything by searching under the Williams brand.
                        I think Williams has been bought out by another tool company or folded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jonard-CS-10...-/201161864184

THANX RICH
                        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Brian,

After looking at the one linked by v860rich, I think you could make one out of some steel strapping. I'll leave the design to you.
                          Jim

Comment

Somewhere in my checkered past I saw such a tool, which appeared to be nothing more than a piece of nearly - flattened tubing, presumably with a rivet or weld or something to provide a stop at the appropriate depth, and attached to a short handle...

Comment

Brian before trying to insert the jesus clip (thats what we call them) put a small neodium (sp) magnet on it so when it slip's it won't go flying.

Comment

Working...
                              X