anyone built a bench shear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone built a bench shear?

Need a small (12") shear for brass and copper. Anyone ever built one?

Hi,

No, but I've built a few 4' and 8' shears.

How thick is your material?

Dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
      Hi,

No, but I've built a few 4' and 8' shears.

How thick is your material?

Dalee
      .040 and thinner

Comment

Hi,

You may want to consider a paper cutter like this. Cheap and easily available.

http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Cutter-G...N%3DB001O3KMK0

I have used such items to cut stainless steel shim stock up to .030" thick.

Dalee
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

There are usable 12" benchtop shears out there that will cut .025 brass or .040 aluminum.
          metalmagpie

Comment

I bought a shear one day, either an 8 inch or 10 inch- don't recall now. I had in mind to modify it so it would work better, which I did and it does. It will cut a cigarette paper without folding, tearing, etc, .002 copper very cleanly, and 16 ga cuts beautifully as well. I actually bought it for cutting 16 ga stainless, which my other machine struggles with.

Pretty sure I still have a few pix that can be viewed- a search should bring that up easily.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
            X