Dissolve Loctite 648?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dissolve Loctite 648?

I have a $1k assembly here that I've accidentally glued together with loctite 648... yeah yeah, I know ... clumsy bast*rd.

Anyway, a drip of 648 made its way between two parts with a clearance of about 0.025". Instead of just running out, it actually setup in the gap and has locked two parts together that are supposed to spin. There is plenty of exposed surface area for a solvent to attack the bond.

Any suggestions on a good solvent to dissolve this stuff? Heat and force are out of the question due to the fragile nature of the part.

Edit: I was able to pop the parts somewhat free, but now there are some hardened lumps of the stuff that need to be removed. So ... still looking for suggestions on a good solvent. I can't get a wire brush or etc. in the assembly to mechanically remove the remnants. Need something chemical...

You might try acetone. I works for crazy glue, though nothing is quick. Do not use nail polish remover. Even the salon grade is diluted.
    gvasale

Comment

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ss...ssolve+loctite

Comment

I have used a methylene chloride based paint stripper to dissolve a green Loctite in the past but am unsure of it's effect on the 648. The green Loctite was a bearing retaining grade but I don't know the exact Loctite product number ( I'm thinking 609) so I cannot say for sure of it's affect on the 648.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Lacquer thinner. Its cheap by the gallon. Not much stands up to xylene/toluene. Hope you don't like the paint that is on it.

That or carb cleaner. I try to avoid brake cleaner because of just how deadly some of that stuff is, especially if you ever combine it with welding.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Do you weld your brake shoes on? I don't get the connection.

Comment

Well, I looked it up. It's Urethane Methacrylate so the usual solvents won't dissolve it. You'll need a strong paint stripper or powder coat stripper and even then it won't dissolve. It will just soften it enough where you may be able to scrape or wipe it off. It's considered a permanent adhesive.

Comment

Alright - plan is to dump it in a beaker with methyl chloride. If that fails, I'll try straight toluene or acetone.

648 is a green bearing retainer, very similar to 609.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Just saw CCWKen's post... hmm ... maybe chloroform?
                Last edited by Fasttrack; 02-27-2015, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Nitromethane
                  Davis

"Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself"

Comment

Nitromethane +1

I got a few ounces from a dragster owner
                    You have to watch out for model airplane fuel as it has caster oil in it
                    The superglue solvent/cleanup that they sell is Nitro and runs like 10 bucks for 2 ounces.
                    Rich

Comment

Originally posted by interrupted_cut View Post
                      Nitromethane
                      Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                      Nitromethane +1

I got a few ounces from a dragster owner
                      You have to watch out for model airplane fuel as it has caster oil in it
                      The superglue solvent/cleanup that they sell is Nitro and runs like 10 bucks for 2 ounces.
                      Rich
                      Bingo!
                      You guys nailed it perfectly, check the link below. Although unfortunately the price has gone up a bit, at least from this source.

http://www.techni-tool.com/512CH768
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Interesting... wonder how well it will work with this 648 stuff... the 648 stuff advertises that it is highly resistant to solvents including acetone, benzene, etc.

I'll check the lab and see if we happen to have any. We do have an energetics department with lots of fuels and oxidizers... maybe I'll get lucky.

Comment

You can also just heat it up and scrape it off.

Comment

Originally posted by interrupted_cut View Post
                            Nitromethane
                            Pretty sure that stuff will strip plastic body panels off with the paint.

Don't get it within 10 feet of anything that might ever dissolve, or it will.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I'm with lakeside and rich on this one.
                              We buy the base for this stuff in 5 gal. buckets.
                              For the most part, after its dried, the only way to remove it is to scrape it off. Using heat is better. but if you're joining sensitive parts heat may not be an option. I'm all for strong solvents, but I don't think anything can just desolve it and wash it away. At best maybe soften it so it can be scraped off or the parts losened. If ball bearings are involved be careful not to wash out all the grease. A sealed bearing is sealed against dust, not liquid.

Comment

Working...
                              X