Why is there 12l14 and 12l15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there 12l14 and 12l15

Other than a slight difference in the carbon content that shouldn't really make that much difference why is there two different grades of free machining steel that are so close. Wouldn't one grade do it or is one better then the other for some things.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

One probably heat treats better than the other.

Comment

The carbon may be close but what of the rest, manganese chrome etc etc, there's probably a good reason, but what I don't have a clue, but whatever it is lives in the rest of the analysis
      Mark

Comment

how does that stuff heat treat?

Comment

http://www.matweb.com/search/DataShe...67c577d73df5fe

http://www.matweb.com/search/datashe...a42655b94c5ad7

Comment

I just did the MatWeb comparison thing for these two materials. Seems like other that a slight variance in carbon content and iron fe content they are virtually the same. Like Rustybolt, I suspect that one will heat treat better than the other.

One of these days I will get my hands on some so I can try machining it.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
              I am not a metallurgist, but I do play one on TV.
              There is insufficient carbon content and lack of other alloy (manganese, here) to assist the carbon into lattice transformation to enable any value from heat treatment in the sense of increasing hardness.
              The lead that boosts machinability could be further detriment in that regard and renders unfit for welding.

I'd happily be corrected if wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                If it's anything like 12L14, it case hardens.

Comment

Agree with Carm, case hardening the only option for a low carbon steel. Bob.

Comment

It is a great metal to machine in either form, but I don't think the differences would ever matter in the kinds of things I make. I bought a mixed package of 12L14 from OnlineMetals but when I moved away from Puget Sound I mixed all the raw stock while shipping it and now I don't know my 1018 from my 12L14. I'll have to spark test it all

Comment

The leaded alloy or free machining steels don't have very good welding characteristics.

JL...................

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
                        and now I don't know my 1018 from my 12L14. I'll have to spark test it all
                        You'll know when you machine it.
                        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Rosco P nailed it in post #5. 12L15 has much higher yield strength than 12L14.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Cordochorea View Post
                            Rosco P nailed it in post #5. 12L15 has much higher yield strength than 12L14.
                            Both 12L14 and 12L15 are available in cold drawn and in hot rolled. Tensile strength is lower in the hot rolled version.

I still don't know why one would pick one over the other unless it is a cost thing.
                            Last edited by tmc_31; 03-02-2015, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                              The leaded alloy or free machining steels don't have very good welding characteristics.

JL...................
                              Neither does the "12xx"

Comment

Working...
                              X