No announcement yet.

Yo're in the wrong business...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed years ago that the reviews for high-end audio and "fine" wine were scarily similar. In some cases you'd think it was the same person reviewing both and just changing a few words.

Comment

What is the old expression? "A fool and his money is soon parted" and the famous one from PT Barnum , "There's one born every minute" . :-)
      ...lew...

Comment

I'm still trying to find out how the fool and his money got together in the first place - in hopes of getting some for myself!
        Kansas City area

Comment

I would like to put a little defence up for the "audiophiles" (not a term I like BTW) here. What you have here is some stunning design and superb engineering. Is this any different to buying a budget car or a Ferrari?
          I would also ask anyone who has a budget USB turntable, if they have ever heard a decent vinyl setup? The difference in sound quality and consequential enjoyment of music is massive. The USB TT's are nasty, full stop.
          I happily admit that my hi-fi system including a significant turntable setup is worth much more than the contents of my workshop. It gives me a huge smile every time I listen.
          All I ask is for those who doubt this stuff to take a listen before rubbishing the whole industry. I'm not denying that there is snake-oil out there though. But a modest investment brings huge enjoyment.
          Another analogy I guess is comparing an import lathe with a DSG?

Comment

I have a number of tubes including RCA 845s new in their boxes, I just need to find the right audiophile and I can retire!

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
              make turntables for the self delusional golden ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLWd7zvYYFo
              I bet they used a lot of BILLET to make those eh!

I wonder about the cartridges though. Some looked like the coils were wound by 6 year olds. Everyone know that the best coils are hand wound by blind children between 4 years and 3 months old and 5 years and 1 month old...

bob

Comment

Stuart is probably right, but audio snobs are really a world apart. The equivalent on HSM would be talking about machining 300Lb blocks of "billet" 6Al4V titanium to micron tolerances at 293° K.
                in a room temperature controlled to +/- 0.02° K. One weirdity popular in the '90s were sets of 'hockey pucks' which IIRC were metallic disks that were artfully placed on tops of speakers, amps
                or other housings to modulate the sound to perfection. Sort of feng shui for the golden eared. One either has a golden ear or not, the golden ear allowing one to hear things only a few other mortals
                could. One hilarious sendup LTE in the Absolute Sound discussed the letter writers experiments with moving nude young women around the room in lieu of pucks. CDs were bad enough for the
                cognoscenti with their 64kb sampling, MP3 and earbuds have drastically reduced the market for such high end equipment. The sound you get out of that from a smart phone would cause cerebral
                hemorrhages in a 'golden ear'. And then there were the moving magnet cartridges selling in the '80s for $1000-1500 made by 80 yr old Japanese craftperson on one at a time basis in a hut in his
                backyard in rural Hokkaido.....
                Last edited by sch; 03-03-2015, 03:32 PM.
                Steve

Comment

NatGeo has a cute show titled "Brain Games" which airs weekly. One of last night's episodes centered around cake samples that were given out in a heavily trafficked urban area. Both cakes were made on the same day to the same recipe by the same baker using the same ingredients - but the cake marked $55 was universally liked better than the cake marked $15. Even after the ruse was unmasked, many of the test subjects still claimed that the more expensive cake tasted better. The commentary that followed stated that these remarks were actually true, as the brain has a higher expectation based on perceived value so the actual experience truly is "better" because the pleasure receptors are tuned to greater results.

So the audiophiles may hear the exact same frequency from lower cost equipment but enjoy it less because their expectations are higher based on the pricier products.

One more good reason to raise prices on anything you can't sell - after all, it must be worth more now than yesterday because it is more "vintage"...
                  Last edited by HWooldridge; 03-03-2015, 03:45 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

I happily admit that my hi-fi system including a significant turntable setup is worth much more than the contents of my workshop. It gives me a huge smile every time I listen.
                    All I ask is for those who doubt this stuff to take a listen before rubbishing the whole industry. I'm not denying that there is snake-oil out there though. But a modest investment brings huge enjoyment.
                    will it bring out previously overlooked subtle nuances in the musical crafting of Ozzy Osbourne, Ted Nugent or Alice Cooper?

Comment

Music:
                      The best way to listen to music is Live !
                      The second best is a great recording played through a good system*
                      *there's a big difference between good and high price....
                      I enjoy live via my son and daughter , both musicians and "listen" on a good system.
                      go to a good stereo shop (if you can find one ) and sit and listen!
                      You will be surprised...even with old machine shop ears!

eddie
                      please visit my webpage:
                      http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Stuart Br View Post
                        I would like to put a little defence up for the "audiophiles" (not a term I like BTW) here. What you have here is some stunning design and superb engineering. Is this any different to buying a budget car or a Ferrari?
                        Another analogy I guess is comparing an import lathe with a DSG?
                        Hah... Spent several years directly in that biz (repairs, and some sales) while in school. The 28 years in the music biz....

I KNOW that a *very significant amount* of it is snake oil.... it's NOT A QUESTION.

I have SEEN the application of the sales technique I mentioned, seen it work great... Had it done to me, and looked the guy straight in the eye and told him to save it.... I know that system, and it doesn't work on me....I buy what I like.

I have had a test equipment maker relate to me calling on a maker of $ hundreds per foot cable with a suitable tester (I know who, but will not say). They had never tested the cable, and were interested to see the results.... but it made no real difference to them, they sold "mystique" and said so.

There is good stuff, there is great stuff, and there is plenty of crap. I have repaired it, designed it, used it, even sold it. I can, or could, back when I still cared, hear the differences and could nearly always pass a blind test, because I had specific sounds I was listening for.

Some of the expensive stuff was crap, some of the mid priced was very good indeed. Price is simply not a marker for quality. Cheapness tells, price does not.

The high end audio biz has been polluted by charlatans... lots of 'em, and for decades now. There is plenty of "fracking"... on the wallets of the rich and unknowing, or unwary. It does loosen them up for easy flow... of money.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Thousands of $$$ to buy the best turntable with the best pic ups and pre-amps, the best amplifiers and the best speakers just to hear the SNAP, CRACKLE AND POP on an old record.
                          The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                            Thousands of $$$ to buy the best turntable with the best pic ups and pre-amps, the best amplifiers and the best speakers just to hear the SNAP, CRACKLE AND POP on an old record.
                            Ah, but now they have laser turntables, no static.... And only $9,000

I have a large collection of LPs, I like the sound of them. I'm not an audiophile, but I do like clean clear sound. My system is 'overpowered' for my listening levels, because I don't like when bass goes flat because there's nothing to back it up. I mostly listen to classic rock, old country (other than subject matter, New country isn't much different than a lot of classic rock)
                            My current turntable is a cheap kenwood, very light weight, currently sitting on foam vibration isolators with 4lbs of lead on it to dampen any harmonic vibration.

Comment

Are mains plugs with gold plated pins still doing the rounds?

Comment

I knew a young lady whose physicist father built his own 1950's-era HiFi system: the turn table was a concrete disk that turned on a marble. I never saw the thing myself, but heard about it from friends. I wonder if the idea was completely original, or perhaps it was from something published in enthusiast magazines of the era?

Comment

Working...
                                X