No announcement yet.

Yo're in the wrong business...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You'll just have to bin your audio stuff, oldtiffie.

Comment

Don't think so Cameron.

Its all in the TV.

Tapes and disks were all binned quite a while ago - and not missed at all - other than a few we keep to play on the computer or TV recorder.

Comment

Shame Tiffie. Those old tapes and discs are wildly coming back into favor. You may have had a e-bay gold mine.

The new generation is buying up every old vinyl pressing machine they can lay their hands on. These kids are going to make a killing if they play their cards right. The link is one of hundreds documenting the resurgence of the snap, crackle and pop:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/ar...back.html?_r=0

Who knew.

Comment

Originally posted by garagemark View Post
          Shame Tiffie. Those old tapes and discs are wildly coming back into favor. You may have had a e-bay gold mine.

The new generation is buying up every old vinyl pressing machine they can lay their hands on. These kids are going to make a killing if they play their cards right. The link is one of hundreds documenting the resurgence of the snap, crackle and pop:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/ar...back.html?_r=0

Who knew.
          Yep
          And a very good source for vinyl is your local Goodwill Store.
          I have "harvested" over 200 reasonable quality vintage vinys in the last year from my local two Goodwill Stores.
          Ignorant kids give away Mom and Dads records.
          Bill
          I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
            And what of those of us who do not have good let alone perfect hearing and are not in a perfect auditorium/room/surround?
            Oddly, imperfect hearing is often still able to easily distinguish live from recorded, and so can benefit from decent equipment.

Of course, bad enough and it really becomes moot.....

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie View Post
              And what of those of us who do not have good let alone perfect hearing and are not in a perfect auditorium/room/surround?
              That's what beer is for.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by garagemark View Post

Oh and by the way, the biggest contributing factor to the true audio experience isn't the equipment.
                That's right, but the biggest contributing factor is you and a hot girl, sitting on a sofa with a bottle of wine, the lights turned low and evil on your mind. After that who gives a damn about the sound quality.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Now we're dealing with reality! All the previous arguments are merely vaporous theory.
                  Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                    That's right, but the biggest contributing factor is you and a hot girl, sitting on a sofa with a bottle of wine, the lights turned low and evil on your mind. After that who gives a damn about the sound quality.
                    You don't hafta be in your 20's for that! I was in my 50's.

And I married the gal! Ten years ago! Najee, Alannah Miles, Miles Davis, Kenny G, after a good, modest meal. We were destined for the altar, but the ol' Sansui sealed the deal! That was when I still had the Polk 10's.

Never underestimate the power of music!

Comment

How I got the Marantz turntable.

In 1988, CDs had not yet come to dominate the music scene. You still bought LPs from Columbia House, BMG, and your local store. Marantz turntables were arguably the best on the market. Radio stations used a different brand, but among consumers, Marantz was king. In 1988 money, you could pay over $500 for one. Today's money? Eeeeyow!

Fort Leavenworth has a yard sale every Spring. I was poking around, and saw this Marantz turntable. Direct drive. Direct drive was considered superior. But this unit was only $2.00. The plastic lid was cracked, and the tone arm mount was broken in two. The tone arm mount was some unknown plastic. I went to Gronis' Hardware, and bought a tube of glue reputed to be able to fix it. It has held up fine for almost 30 years. The sockets for the two points the tone arm rode on were worn. I replaced them with fresh made from an aluminum nail. I had used my electric drill as a crude lathe. At Radio Shack, a cartridge with needle would run $26 to $255. I spent about $40. After 30 years, no problem.

For about $50, a top of the line direct drive turntable. Saved from the dumpster. All parts were there, and otherwise in good shape.

Just a stumble down memory lane.

Comment

Working...
                      X