Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Motor Brushes OT?

Possibly off topic but not too far off.

In the past 2 years I have purchased 2 reciprocating saws, 1 small hand grinder, and a 7" polisher/grinder (all Chicago Electric) from Harbor Freight. These were all for 1 shot projects where the tool only had to last the job. Several were later resold at a garage sale.

All of these came with a spare set of electric motor brushes. As Harbor Freight is known for cutting costs anywhere and everywhere, I can't figure out why most of their stuff comes with spare brushes. Its all made in China.

Some sort of import duty tax loophole?
    Has anyone actually used one of these tools long enough to need the spare brushes?

The only other piece of equipment I have ever bought that came with spare brushes was a 5KW ST type generator (alternator) head that was expected to run for thousands of hours. I know that was made in China also.....

You would be surprised at how many hand tools come with spare brushes, they are usually concealed inside the handle with the brush holders though so you dont realize they are there until you order new ones and spot them when your replacing the worn ones... Ask me how I know this....
    Cheers,
    Jon

Comment

I am sure the factory gets them for pennies, if that much. Cheap way to cut down on complaints and warranty replacements. The time and postage would cost them many thousands of times as much as including the extra brushes up front.
      Paul A.

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
      X