Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical CNC Mill - Kitamura Mycenter2 ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical CNC Mill - Kitamura Mycenter2 ???

I'm looking at a Vertical CNC Mill - Kitamura Mycenter2 that the guy says:

#1 "The machine has recently developed a problem where the monitor isn't working correctly. It is only displaying the bottom half and flickering a bit. I think it probably needs a new screen - or at the very least some repair work.

#2 It also has a problem where it sometimes displays a servo error when powering on. After hitting reset, the problem usually goes away and it runs okay thereafter. It's only an issue when first powering on for the day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #1 Can the Monitor maybe upgraded to a small Color Flat Screen? Does it use a VGA connection? I see an original monochrome one used on ebay for $159. Could it be the video card also?

#2 Any idea what may fix the Servo Error problem?

Thanks
    Rich

Kitamura typically used Fanuc controls, just about 100% proprietary and expensive $$$ parts, otherwise a good control.
    If Fanuc, what control/age?
    Max.

Comment

I used to use a 1984 Hurco at a place I worked in the early 2000s. That one had a history of abuse and neglect before I got there. It would take numerous tries to power up sometimes. After hours of trying to find the issue, we finally discovered a wire on the x encoder that was intermittently making contact. Once we got that hooked back up solid it ran like a champ.

Comment

I would go ask on PM. There are likely to be many times more folks familiar with a MyCenter over there. Substituting a monitor should be relatively easy.

Comment

They also used Yasnac. Ours was an I-80, IIRC. Nice little machines, and yes, hop over to PM.

Comment

Fanuc parts are not that bad. You can often find what you need on ebay. If not there are other sources. That is what I primarily used to work on.

Usually the monitors run at an odd frequency. There is a box used to connect old video game systems to more modern monitors, I used one on a Makino MC-40 with a Fanuc system to install a 12" LC in place of the old CRT that had it's red gun die.

Need more info on the servo error. There is usually a error number that will come up, that is what you really need to diagnose. Usually not a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by rklopp View Post
              I would go ask on PM. There are likely to be many times more folks familiar with a MyCenter over there. Substituting a monitor should be relatively easy.
              ================================================== ============
              Sorry, what is PM?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post
                Kitamura typically used Fanuc controls, just about 100% proprietary and expensive $$$ parts, otherwise a good control.
                If Fanuc, what control/age?
                Max.
                ====================================
                I think it's a 1980 Model from one of the photo's. I had already sent him an e-mail to ask some questions about it. Waiting for a response back. It's about 4hrs from me. I'll have to e-mail him back for the error code it's giving.

The Ad is here with some photo's. Ad doesn't say what Control it has.
                http://ottumwa.craigslist.org/hvo/4885660665.html

Is there a way to upload a photo here. I see an insert button, but it asks for a url.

Rich

Comment

Looks like an old Fanuc. The shop I worked at had a couple lathes that had a similar control, think they were takisawa. Also the Kuraki HBM had a similar control.

No, a generic monitor will not connect. Chances are it is TTL level. But from the image issues it may just be bad capacitors in the vertical scan circuit.

PM is Practical Machinist

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                    Fanuc parts are not that bad. You can often find what you need on ebay. If not there are other sources. That is what I primarily used to work on.

Usually the monitors run at an odd frequency. There is a box used to connect old video game systems to more modern monitors, I used one on a Makino MC-40 with a Fanuc system to install a 12" LC in place of the old CRT that had it's red gun die.

Need more info on the servo error. There is usually a error number that will come up, that is what you really need to diagnose. Usually not a big deal.
                    ================================================== =====
                    Here is his reply below. It must be a Fanuc Control, since it needs a "Fanuc 6M Monitor". Do you have a link to this control box you talk about? I have access to small Dell Computer flat screens from ISU Surplus cheap, that have both VGA, and a newer type video connector, I was hoping to use one.

====>
                    1) Yes, 220V 3 phase. The spindle motor is 6-2/3 HP, the XY servos 4/5 HP each, and the Z servo 1-1/2 HP.

2) I think the way to load would be to put the machine on rollers and push over to the door, then use an outside fork lift to load onto a trailer. Unfortunately, I have low ceilings, so we probably can't use an inside fork lift. Fortunately, the machine is only about 10 feet from the door. I know a company nearby that would let us borrow their fork truck as a favor.

3) From the manual, height 94", width 74", depth 73". You'll probably want to leave some walking room around it on all sides.

4) The white cable is for a DNC retrofit we added years ago. There is another cable for RS-232 comms. The machine uses G-code only. You either need to key in the G-code on the machine, or send the G-code from a PC via RS-232 or DNC. As a side note, we haven't used the comms in a few years, I assume they work, but I don't have an easy way to test them. The last few times this machine was used it was by typing in the code by hand.

5) I do have a machine shop. I'm getting rid of this machine since it's a bit old and I'm not using it much. It is still powered in, so we could run it if you like. I use GibbsCAM as my CAM software with my other CNCs.

6) This machine could certainly do that. However, if you don't have machining experience, that's a big project to start with. This being an older machine, there will be a slightly steeper learning curve. Of course, the advantage is that you probably won't find a running vertical machining center any cheaper. Also, this machine is very heavy and solid. It makes good cuts with good finish. In my opinion, they overbuilt the physical aspect of it a bit.

7) The monitor is some crazy proprietary thing. I think you can find a used/refurbished one for about $500, but you'll have to do some looking. You might be able to get some Chinese compatable LCD for about the same price or less. You'll want to search for "Fanuc 6M Monitor". I believe people also make VGA adapters for these, where you can then hook up any old monitor.

When I first listed the machine for sale, the monitor worked fine. I was originally asking for $5,000, so I knocked off a couple grand to compensate for the hassle of having to replace it. If I don't sell the machine soon, I will probably repair it myself. However, I'm busy with other things and would really just like to get this machine out of here.

Also, when I first noticed the monitor was bad, I tried blowing some hot air in the back of it with a heat gun. It then started working normally for a few minutes. I've heard that old capacitors can "dry out" and that heat can make them start working. So it may be as simple as replacing some capacitor with a new one (although I certainly wouldn't count on it).

8) I have a full set of print manuals. They go into some detail. Nothing digital though, I'm afraid.

Ames is about a 2.5 hour drive from here. If you want to make the trip down, you're more than welcome to take a look and see it run without further commitment. We can still jog it around and do tool changes even without the monitor fully working.
                    <==================================

I'm e-mailing him back on the Servo error.

Rich

Comment

I would just get the monitor repaired, it is most likely bad caps like he mentions. We usually bought from these guys: http://www.fanucworld.com/contact_info.html

You can get a refurbed monitor too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANUC-CNC-9-...item2338f93123

I would not hold my breath that the monitor adapters will work on a control that old. That is going to be pretty non-standard. You need to find out the part number for the monitor inside and see the specs.

Comment

The 6 is an older machine that most likely still has the DC brushed motors (black yellow cap), it is important to do preventative maintenance on these, if not been done then the brushes may need replacing and carbon deposits cleaned out.
                        Same thing for the DC spindle.
                        The video is original EGA, lower scan rate, and most monitors of this type have long gone to the dump.
                        BTW for replacement brushes go to Helwig Carbon.
                        Max.

Comment

If the original monitor is EGA, you might want to look at one of these: http://www.jammaboards.com/store/cga...?sef_rewrite=1

As a side note, I can remember being impressed as hell by the graphics when I saw my first EGA machine. I feel old now.

J

Comment

EGA didn't even exist until 4 years after this mill was made.

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
                              I would just get the monitor repaired, it is most likely bad caps like he mentions. We usually bought from these guys: http://www.fanucworld.com/contact_info.html

You can get a refurbed monitor too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANUC-CNC-9-...item2338f93123

I would not hold my breath that the monitor adapters will work on a control that old. That is going to be pretty non-standard. You need to find out the part number for the monitor inside and see the specs.
                              ================================================== ==
                              Thanks for the reply and links.
                              Rich

Comment

Working...
                              X