OT: Hotmail problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Hotmail problems?

I've been having lots of problems with Hotmail for the past several weeks. Lots of 'server busy' messages and 'unavailable' messages. Now about half the time it won't let me log off.

I'm to the point of going to another email provider.

Anyone know what's going on with Hotmail?

Any recommendations on better free email providers?

Thanks,
    Dan

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 06-03-2004).]

Regarding free e-mail service.............there is www.yahoo.com.

Comment

I think that's SOP for Hotmail. And sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo owwwwwwwwwwwwwww too.

Comment

Rob,

I've been using hotmail for a few years now and I've only had these problems for the last several weeks.

It has never been a real ball of fire when it comes to speed but I don't know how they're going to keep any customers if this keeps up (or should I say down?).

Mike,

I'd consider Yahoo! but here at work they have some hooks in the system so we can't log on to Yahoo!

They also have some hooks in the system so you can't log on to hotmail directly but if I go through msn I can circumvent that.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 06-03-2004).]

Comment

Try www.mail.com
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Your ISP doesn't give you mail "slots"?
            Bummer. Most will give you up to 10.

I dumped Hotmail and Yahoo. Too much junk. MSN was just as bad. EMail.com was great until they got bought out. Now it's Mail.com and it's crap too--unless you pay.

There's no free rides anymore. You get lots of ads/spam or pay. Check with your ISP. If they don't have mail, go to someone that does. The one I use also has free built-in filters and virus protection. (Where it should be.) That's why you'll never get an infected email from "ME".

Providers don't like to see their name on the virus gernerator's list. For my provider, it would have to be a forged address.

Comment

Hotmail is occasionally slow for me as well, but it costs nothing, and is otherwise trouble free.

"I dumped Hotmail and Yahoo. Too much junk."
              "There's no free rides anymore. You get lots of ads/spam or pay."

I don't claim to understand the criteria for spamming, but I have had a Hotmail account for many years, as well as 2 other email accounts.
              I get exactly 1 ad every 2 months or so, and it's from MSN suggesting I buy more email space. I have NO spam filters of any kind.

I have been told that total my lack of problems with ads and spam is due to the unusually long length of my email addresses. It was done totally inadvertently, but has prevented me from ever having to deal with a very annoying problem. Nobody ever types the address in anyway, so there is really no reason not to try this route when feasible.

As far as adware and the like, since I have installed a router, pop-ups are a thing of the past. Spybot, ad-aware, and my virus checker, have yet to find a single infection after several months of high-speed surfing. All of this peace of mind for about $25, now that’s a bargain!

Comment

If you expect something good, for nothing, you will get something, good for nothing. Welcome to capitalism.

Comment

CCWKen,

Yes, my ISP provider will provide me with up to 5 email addresses but all 5 addresses are mapped to one inbox. This means everyone in the family can see everyone else's email. Sucks!

Joel,

Have you been getting 'The server is too busy' messages when attempting to access hotmail or are you having trouble logging off of hotmail when you're finished?

Several times yesterday it took *many* tries to log off after checking my email. All other internet activity with other websites is as fast as ever.

Comment

Dan, I have gotten no such errors.

Comment

I use hotmail daily and have noticed no
                      problems either at home through cable and
                      dsl hookups or at work. Comes up snappy
                      and responds as usual. Maybe something to
                      do with your ISP/server? Steve
                      Steve

Comment

Some of the messages (server unavailable)refer to an msn server. Maybe the problem is limited to a specific server or range of servers. I dunno.

I usually begin having problems about 8:00 am and it usually starts improving around 3:00 pm. Maybe the server where my account is stored is having problems during peak activity.

I'm just guessing.

Comment

"Yes, my ISP provider will provide me with up to 5 email addresses but all 5 addresses are mapped to one inbox. This means everyone in the family can see everyone else's email. Sucks!"

What? How does that work, if each person has to signin to get their mail?
                          You mean through Outlook? There's ways around that too.

Comment

Working...
                          X