Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Users of Alibre/Geomagic might want to get back on maintenance NOW!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users of Alibre/Geomagic might want to get back on maintenance NOW!

Geomagic is DISCONTINUING the "cubify and "Elements" versions of the program.

People who are on maintenance may get upgraded to the fully loaded "Design" version. I just upgraded versions of "elements", from 2012 to V16, and in the process all the stuff I did NOT have seems to have been enabled, as stated. Sheetmetal, output of Solidworks etc file formats, presumably the other ones I have not checked out yet as well.

Might cost a little, but it may be worth it. I was already on maintenance, and now I see why that was a good investment!

I think you may have a limited time to do this, so............

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I got an email from them about all of this a week or two ago. To be honest, I found the thing confusing. Which may be part of their problem, the various offerings are a bit difficult to follow sometimes. I have Geomagic Design, V15 and on maintenance until the end of March. I can't tell how exactly all of this affects me.

Comment

Sorry but I have knocked it on the head.
      They keep moving the goalposts too much. I have 3 licenses, at the moment two won't work but they show up as valid until 2020.

Unless it can log onto the internet half the time it can't check and won't run. They won't do anything because I am not on maintenance but I have paid for what I SHOULD be able to use.

Now moved on to Turbocad, not saying it's any better but I can install on any machine I own, does not need internet acess and no maintenance contract.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

JS:
        Dunno what the issue is, but you are supposed to be able to continue "frozen" at the last version you had indefinitely. Ask on the forum what the problem is..... several people there have let maintenance go, and they are still working with the same program.

What version is it? Is it on the old, or the new, license type?

Originally posted by alanganes View Post
        I got an email from them about all of this a week or two ago. To be honest, I found the thing confusing. Which may be part of their problem, the various offerings are a bit difficult to follow sometimes. I have Geomagic Design, V15 and on maintenance until the end of March. I can't tell how exactly all of this affects me.
        You should be fine, you already have what they are going to continue supporting, except that you are two versions back behind them.

If you want to get up to what you are entitled to, you should update now, if you plan to let maintenance go. if not, no rush. If you are still using XP, V16 is the last you can do. They don't officially recognize it, but V16 works with XP
        Last edited by J Tiers; 03-07-2015, 04:39 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          You should be fine, you already have what they are going to continue supporting, except that you are two versions back behind them.
          Thanks. Interesting that if I do help > "check for updates" it tells me that I am up to date. I have Geomagic Design Personal Edition, 2013. I'm running no 32 bit or XP machines any more, so that should not be an issue.
          I'll have to look into that a bit. Still debating if I want to stay on maitenance, got to look into what it costs these days. I have it until now because I got a really good deal on 3 years maintenance package at the time. Not sure if the deals are so good any more.

Thanks for the insight, JT. Much appreciated.
          Al

Comment

I gave up paying the maintenance last yr.
            I did not use it a great deal ....and now as JS says I have to log on the net every so offen to keep it running
            My account in computer / drawing computer is not on the net , its now a big pain in the ass
            I use Quick Cad mostly and though its only 2D I can do most everything I need with it
            They have gone a long way from the "free" days .
            please visit my webpage:
            http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
              They keep moving the goalposts too much. I have 3 licenses, at the moment two won't work but they show up as valid until 2020.

Unless it can log onto the internet half the time it can't check and won't run. They won't do anything because I am not on maintenance but I have paid for what I SHOULD be able to use.

Now moved on to Turbocad, not saying it's any better but I can install on any machine I own, does not need internet acess and no maintenance contract.
              ================================================== =========
              Does your TurboCad have a CAM module also? Is it 2D or 3D?

Rich

Comment

Al, "check for updates" checks for any updates to the specific version you have installed, not to any later versions. V17 is out and my V16 shows it is up to date, but that means I've got the latest version of V16.

cheers,
                Michael

Comment

You might want to check this out.

http://www.onshape.com/

From the original writers of Solid Works before they were bought out by Dassult

For private use or small use it's free, and no maintenance.

Well worth watching the video's and what with this program and the also free for personal use Fusion 360 we look to be entering interesting times.

I think these Onshape people will really stir up how CAD works.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

signed up sir J !
                    please visit my webpage:
                    http://motorworks88.webs.com/

Comment

Originally Posted by John Stevenson

Originally posted by Armilite View Post

Does your TurboCad have a CAM module also? Is it 2D or 3D?

Rich
                      In have had TurboCAD for quite a while but am out of practice on it.

Once mastered (not hard to do) it works very well for a small shop or computer room.

There are several versions - including 3D.

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=imsi+cad

I have DesignCAD ver 19 and intend to upgrade further to ver 23:

http://www.imsidesign.com/Products/D...nCAD-3D-Max-23

Comment

In case it escaped anyone's notice, I am not suggesting that non-users, or "geomagic haters" should do anything....

But, for those who have the program, like it, and would like to get the more advanced features, such as sheetmetal with unfold, etc, or "configurations", etc, this is an opportunity to do so without paying the high price of the full "design" version. The geomagic site has a comparison of "elements" and "design", showing the difference in feature set.

I happen to like the "v16" version which I just upgraded to much better than the prior 2012 version I was using. Several of my pet peeves are fixed (not all of them, but that's not surprising).

For those who just never got the hang of the program, it's worth trying again. The program works very well, and has a lot of features beyond even what I, as a rather regular user, know about.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

What I have:

Cubify Design (PRODUCTVERSION 15,0,2,15088)
                          http://cubify.com/en/Products/Design

There is no information that I can find for upgrading, or warning to do so... What's up with that?

Comment

J Tiers, so what did the maintenance cost you?

Last year I got the email about maintenance due, it said $200 (up from the previous year's $100). Then another salesperson called and asked me to pay $300, he said the $200 was wrong. But, he would accept the $200, which I paid.

I have Design version 16,0,2,16496 . It seems to have all the bells and whistles and a variety of import/export formats. Those of us who got in on the initial free version years ago had all the import/export formats anyway.

Now I get this confusing email explaining the changes and saying maintenance is now $400!!!! I don't use it enough to justify that kind of money.

There's so much going on in the free CAD world now I advise everyone boycott 3DS and their increasing maintenance fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Moore View Post
                              Al, "check for updates" checks for any updates to the specific version you have installed, not to any later versions. V17 is out and my V16 shows it is up to date, but that means I've got the latest version of V16.

cheers,
                              Michael
                              Michael,
                              It did finally dawn on me that I was not checking for the most current version of the most current version.
                              Fixed that now. I'm not always as smart as I think I am. I appreciate that someone is paying attention.
                              Thanks for pointing that out.

Comment

Working...
                              X